george.h

Creating Install Package from KES 8 CF2 exe

Hi,

Can anyone remind me of how to get from the downloadable exe for KES 8 CF2 (8.1.0.1042) to the directory structure containing the KPD file. I want to create a proper install package (not a stand-alone EXE install package) where I can control the install options fully.

I get the nasty feeling it is going to be: "yeah - run the exe on a PC to install it and then copy the directory structure off of there". I do hope there is a better way.....

Cheers

George

Edited by george.h

Hi,

Can anyone remind me of how to get from the downloadable exe for KES 8 CF2 (8.1.0.1042) to the directory structure containing the KPD file. I want to create a proper install package (not a stand-alone EXE install package) where I can control the install options fully.

I get the nasty feeling it is going to be: "yeah - run the exe on a PC to install it and then copy the directory structure off of there". I do hope there is a better way.....

Cheers

George

Hi.

This installation file is a simple archive. You can extract the files using any archiving program (7-zip, winRAR or any other).

Best regards, Ivan.

Other way is to run the exe file and stop the the installation when the setup window comes up.

The option from Ivan gives a different file structure for example by extracting the WSEE with 7zip as by executing the exe.

Other way is to run the exe file and stop the the installation when the setup window comes up.

The option from Ivan gives a different file structure for example by extracting the WSEE with 7zip as by executing the exe.

Hi Helumt/Ivan,

Many thanks for your help.....

Best wishes...

George

It's not as bad as you think. You just create an installation package and tell it it's a kaspersky app, choose the downloaded .EXE and then go into any policy that was created for kes 8, it may show the app name blank , if you go inside it should update itself. At least that worked for me.

It's not as bad as you think. You just create an installation package and tell it it's a kaspersky app, choose the downloaded .EXE and then go into any policy that was created for kes 8, it may show the app name blank , if you go inside it should update itself. At least that worked for me.

This is the easiest way to create an installation package. :rolleyes:

This is the easiest way to create an installation package. :rolleyes:

It works, but if you go into the installation package property you have no options to control what parts do and don't get installed, it just runs the EXE.

I prefer Helmut's method - run the EXE on a PC (I used my Kaspersky Admin server), let it unpack everything to C:\KAV, but then cancel the install when it actually asks if you want to go ahead and install. The install cancels but leaves the install source files in C:\KAV (or which ever directory you choose if you choose a different one). Included in the lowever levels of the directory structure you'll find a file with the KPD extension.

Now, making sure your Kaspersky Admin server has access to this directory (which is why I did it on the server itself), run through creating an installation package but select the KPD option and for the source browse down to the KPD file. Apart from the first step of unpacking the files (which I'd forgotten how to do - thanks Helmut!), it is just as simple as creating it from the EXE. However, once the installation package is created, right click on the package and select PROPERTIES - you'll have loads of options to decide precisely what components you want installing.

You may not want to use that level of control YET (all components are installed by default), but you've got it should you want/need it without creating a new install package.

George B)

Edited by george.h

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.