itgregory

Windows 8.1 vs KES10 [In progress]

I cant belive how some people here can not think out side of box. Clearly you all you work in big companies, with WSUS, and policy. Great, I have all of that, don't worry, and my primary work is not at stake.

After my daily job, I also administrate and maintain dozen of smalll buissness companies, that even don't have a domain. They all have KES (thanks to me), and Windows update turned on. I just can not belive the work I will be facing in next period, going to all those companies, and then on every computer turn off Windows Update, then again in month-two, turn them on.

That's not cool. Not cool at all.

I worked with SMB in the past (some had no more than 10 users) and all of them managed to have a WSUS server.

Maybe after Q1 2014

Good job Alexander! :bravo:

We wouldn't want to rush into anything as silly as antivirus for an OS release. :dash1:

Can we Maybe get FSEE support for Server 2012 sometime after Q1 2014 too?

I'm very disappointed with Kaspersky. I have a license that I can't use on my own notebook and I will have to wait at least 6 months to maybe be possible to use it! I'm one odf the decision makers of the company TI policy, and next time I won't recommend the renew of KAV license.

Good job Alexander! :bravo:

We wouldn't want to rush into anything as silly as antivirus for an OS release. :dash1:

Can we Maybe get FSEE support for Server 2012 sometime after Q1 2014 too?

Well don't forget you don't want to push a new antivirus client until it is bullet-proof against critical bugs - which takes usually 6 months - 1 year.

So I guess you'll be able to deploy 8.1 clients around autumn 2014 (which seems quite right imho).

The real issue is FSEE, which is borderline supported despite being much more stable than KES :/

Well don't forget you don't want to push a new antivirus client until it is bullet-proof against critical bugs - which takes usually 6 months - 1 year.

So I guess you'll be able to deploy 8.1 clients around autumn 2014 (which seems quite right imho).

The real issue is FSEE, which is borderline supported despite being much more stable than KES :/

So, according to Microsoft's new OS release scheduling, Windows 8.1 will be replaced by something else about the same time Kaspersky supports 8.1. Bloody brilliant!

So, according to Microsoft's new OS release scheduling, Windows 8.1 will be replaced by something else about the same time Kaspersky supports 8.1. Bloody brilliant!

No reason to be surprise, this is how IT always worked. And this isn't related to Kaspersky, it's the same thing for all software vendors, in fact it's usually much worse with LoB vendors, which provides sometimes support 2 or 3 after the release of a new OS.

No reason to be surprise, this is how IT always worked. And this isn't related to Kaspersky, it's the same thing for all software vendors, in fact it's usually much worse with LoB vendors, which provides sometimes support 2 or 3 after the release of a new OS.

Coming from a Symantec Endpoint Protection client to kaspersky, No, this isn't how it works. Microsoft releases an update, Symantec has a product to work on it VERY soon afterwards. Windows 8.1 comes out... Symantec Beta is out now, and has been since early September... I expect the full release will be done within days of 8.1 being released.

Edited by Michael lawler

Well you got an exception amongst third-party vendors. Most software companies out there doesn't have the same amount of developers, support teams, and/or the will to be able to support an OS the day after the release, and provide a well-tested version of top of that. Also this new version is not always free.

And for most companies this isn't an issue because, amongst other things (budgets, politics etc.), technically implementing a new OS properly is a huge work, which takes usually one or two years for big ones.

I wouldn't hold my breath about Symantec products however, last time I worked with them it was with Backup Exec 2010 and we had to wait two years and half to have a stable version (the third release !). Releasing a antivirus client at the same time of a new OS is one thing, and robust one is another. Even Microsoft is unable with a this faster release cycle they created themselves for now.

Edited by Testeur09

Well you got an exception amongst third-party vendors. Most software companies out there doesn't have the same amount of developers, support teams, and/or the will to be able to support an OS the day after the release, and provide a well-tested version of top of that. Also this new version is not always free.

And for most companies this isn't an issue because, amongst other things (budgets, politics etc.), technically implementing a new OS properly is a huge work, which takes usually one or two years for big ones.

I wouldn't hold my breath about Symantec products however, last time I worked with them it was with Backup Exec 2010 and we had to wait two years and half to have a stable version (the third release !). Releasing a antivirus client at the same time of a new OS is one thing, and robust one is another. Even Microsoft is unable with a this faster release cycle they created themselves for now.

Oh, I don't expect stable releases, and we would never allow our users to ahve a new release of an OS. but I do expect something sooner than 6 months out for a client OS, and for a Server OS, I expect it MUCH sooner. My company is by no means a bleeding edge type of place when it comes to new releases. We aren't even a Cutting Edge kind of place when it comes to new OS's...we waited a year before rolling our Server 2012, we are just now finishing our Windows 7 Deployment.

That said, we do like to at least hold the knife when it comes to new releases. I talk to my Support people at Kaspersky about rolling out KES10 to Server 2012 and I'm told not to, its not stable enough for a server. So I ask about FSEE product for Server 2012 and am told it will be next april before it is ready.... I understand not every vendor out there is huge, and not every vendor out there can have a product ready within days....or even weeks. Nor would I expect them to. That said, I DO expect to have a product ready within months, typically within 1 quarter of a OS release I think I'm not to crazy to expect that my AV vendor will have a stable product for it that they can get everyone at their organization to recommend.

It's the opposite, for an OS server there are is a significant supplementary amount of tests required compared to a client OS - specific conditions like clustering, virtualization, failover etc... and because you won't encounter them on client OS you have to start from scratch again (where for you client antivirus you can capitalize on feedback and hotfixes from your consumer client version, if they are build onto the same code base).

Also, performance and stability issues will be more critical on a server (which is a centralized system) than on a client. And you have to test also compatibility with several enterprise-level applications (AD, Exchange, SAP etc...) at least.

But yes it isn't an excuse for a lack of 2012 Datacenter Edition yet. Also 2012 R2 is coming in a few days and no feedback at all from the developer team still.

Hello,

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 support is planned to be released next year. Along with newest operating systems support we are working on functional and usability improvements of our products. We value our clients and this is why we are trying to reach the maximum quality that takes some time as well.

Thanks for the feedback Mr Medvedev, but the issue here is Datacenter Edition support. It is becoming the mainstream Windows edition for most mid to large companies out here and it is never supported in due time as it should.

Maybe Kaspersky intends to scrap Enteprise Edition in the future, and maintain a single product ? It would make sense, but from field experience FSEE is a lot more stable and reliable than KAV/KES products :/

Thanks so much for that past many years of good support and products. However, after waiting 6 months to get the SERVER 2012 KAV support, we can't wait until April 2014 to upgrade.

Specifically with Datacenter, and with Terminal Server like applications, there is an urgent need to upgrade to Server 2012 R2 to regain functionality lost in the first version.

Those of you that support the users from afar understand why R2 is so important.

It is unfortunate, and will be costly, and I will hate it, but we will have to go with a vendor that is more capable to stay current in the market.

I've just found this on the Kaspersky Support KB: http://support.kaspersky.com/10586

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows (for workstations)

Compatibility of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 and Windows 8.1

Back to "Installation / Uninstallation"

ID: 10586

Complexity

2013 Oct 24

The current version of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 does not support the operating system Microsoft Windows version 8.1.

If you decide to upgrade your Windows version to 8.1, it is necessary that you uninstall Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 before you start.

Otherwise, after you install Windows 8.1, you may encounter the OS and Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 malfunction.

Once you upgrade to Windows 8.1, you will not be able to install Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10.

Windows 8.1 support will be implemented in Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 Maintenance Release 1 for Windows in December 2013.

As for R2 and Datacenter editions, we expect MR1 for Kaspersky Anti-Virus FSEE to be released in April 2013.

We are currently running a public beta test and would greatly appreciate your participation.

We are working hard on bringing you a super-solid and stable solution, and, as my colleagues already mentioned, it takes time.

Thank you for your understanding.

As for R2 and Datacenter editions, we expect MR1 for Kaspersky Anti-Virus FSEE to be released in April 2013.

We are currently running a public beta test and would greatly appreciate your participation.

We are working hard on bringing you a super-solid and stable solution, and, as my colleagues already mentioned, it takes time.

Thank you for your understanding.

I can't do a beta test on a working server, but I can participate beta testing KES MR1 on my personal notebook with Windows 8.1.

I can't do a beta test on a working server, but I can participate beta testing KES MR1 on my personal notebook with Windows 8.1.

That would be greatly appreciated as well!

I've just found this on the Kaspersky Support KB: http://support.kaspersky.com/10586

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows (for workstations)

Compatibility of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 and Windows 8.1

Back to "Installation / Uninstallation"

ID: 10586

Complexity

2013 Oct 24

The current version of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 does not support the operating system Microsoft Windows version 8.1.

If you decide to upgrade your Windows version to 8.1, it is necessary that you uninstall Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 before you start.

Otherwise, after you install Windows 8.1, you may encounter the OS and Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 malfunction.

Once you upgrade to Windows 8.1, you will not be able to install Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10.

Windows 8.1 support will be implemented in Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 Maintenance Release 1 for Windows in December 2013.

That is correct Label Five...that said, I'm being told that 8.1 SHOULD be supported in MR1, which SHOULD be out sometime this month..... if both are not true I'm going to be very pissed...

Edited by Michael lawler

That is correct Label Five...that said, I'm being told that 8.1 SHOULD be supported in MR1, which SHOULD be out sometime this month..... if both are not true I'm going to be very pissed...

Hello Michael!

Actually, win 8.1 will be supported in MR1. It is already in beta version.

Hello Michael!

Yes, the should was more of a pointer toward the december release date.

Hello Michael!

Yes, I'm using the beta version since yesterday night, and so far so good. No problems. From what I've read, the majority of problems is with the encryption 'engine'. Since my commercial license doesn't allow to use that (despite the beta license allows it), I didn't installed this module.

Yes, I'm using the beta version since yesterday night, and so far so good. No problems. From what I've read, the majority of problems is with the encryption 'engine'. Since my commercial license doesn't allow to use that (despite the beta license allows it), I didn't installed this module.

Hi,

As this commercial version is planned to be released in this month I assume it is probably better to wait for it. Thank You for the information provided.

http://support.kaspersky.com/10578

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows Workstations Maintenance Release 1 (version 10.2.1.23) release info

On December 20, 2013, Kaspersky Lab announces the commercial release of Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 Maintenance Release 1. Full version number is 10.2.1.23.

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 Maintenance Release 1 features the following improvements:

Hard drive encryption:

More keyboard layouts are now supported by Authentication Agent;

Boot hard drive compatibility with Authentication Agent is now checked automatically before hard drive encryption starts;

FDE Recovery Tool now provides diagnostic information about encrypted devices;

The functionality of automatic user logon to the operating system after successful authentication in Authentication Agent has been improved;

Improved performance of file level encryption (FLE) and full disk encryption (FDE) functionality;

For better protection, Application Privilege Control functionality has been incorporated into Core protection;

To minimize load when activating application with a code via Kaspersky Security Center or by using an additional key, an activation server connection delay has been added;

Support of Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.

hmm.. i'm able to install KES 10.2.1.23 to windows 8.1 , but unable to communicate with KSC 10.1.249 .

latest network agent have been updated.

image.jpg

:dash1:

Edited by AEP

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.