gvalenzuela

KAV 10 Blocking Netflix at Office Network, Since we upgraded to KAV 10 users cannot watch Netflix on their lunch

Hello,

Right after upgrading to the KAV version 10, Netflix keeps saying Silverlight is not installed.

If you disable KAV, then it works immediatly after.

Have tried to re-install Silverlight, no go.

Have disabled self-defense, web-antivirus, firewall (under KAV policy), Network Attack Blocker, system watcher, and still won't work until I pause the protection completely.

What could be causing this? Users are not happy, they think we're blocking Netflix, and even though this is a business they're allowed during breaks to watch some videos.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

(attached screenshot of Netflix when KAV is active)

Gvader

post-436816-1365104073_thumb.jpg

Hi Nikolay, and thanks for replying. Attached is the GSI file.

I set a trusted application to the path where silverlight is, but it might not be properly setup, please see attached screenshot.

Have you tried setting exclusion rules specialy for silverlight executables?(I mean add rule not in 'trusted applications' but in 'exclusion rules')

Have you tried setting exclusion rules specialy for silverlight executables?(I mean add rule not in 'trusted applications' but in 'exclusion rules')

Hello, no, cannot set an exclusion for a file, as the file does not exist on the server, and when I try to enter an exclusion on a policy to be deployed, then I can either browse the network or the computer, but can't pick Silverlight unless I install it on the server.

I will try on the computer locally, but even if it works, it's going to be a pain to do it manually on each one of a 100.

post-436816-1365541684_thumb.jpg

Hi! Added exclusion rules based on the path where Silverlight resides on the client computer. Please see attached image.

Still KES 10 still preventing Silverlight from playing Netflix on user's computers.

This upgrade to version 10 has brought its share of problems...sigh...

Please check which setting is applied inside "Anti-Virus protection" -> Monitored Ports

Hello mpsilva,

Attached is the screenshot of the monitored network ports.

Should i set an entry for a specific port? 943 maybe?

post-436816-1366649885_thumb.jpg

Call Netflix and tell them to hurry up and switch from Silverlight to HTML5? jk jk

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/24...development.htm

But seriously. I don't have any 'good' suggestions. I've had certain websites not work and had to disable the WEB CONTROL component for certain employees during tax season. One time, disabling Web Control through policy didn't even solve the problem, so I had to give the user permission to manually disable KES from the taskbar when they needed to use a particular website. Talk about a crappy workaround!

Call Netflix and tell them to hurry up and switch from Silverlight to HTML5? jk jk

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/24...development.htm

But seriously. I don't have any 'good' suggestions. I've had certain websites not work and had to disable the WEB CONTROL component for certain employees during tax season. One time, disabling Web Control through policy didn't even solve the problem, so I had to give the user permission to manually disable KES from the taskbar when they needed to use a particular website. Talk about a crappy workaround!

Hi J. Earnhart,

Certainly is a crappy workaround, and I'm not going to get a green light to disable anything for Netflix, haha, at least with job apps you have some ground to justify it.

Yes, I've read about the HTML5 and was very happy for a second until I saw it will not be here until a few more years.

My boss did not even believe me when I told him Netflix uses Silverlight, hahaha.

Well hopefully next year with KES 11? ...sigh...

Yeah. I hope it turns around soon. Still have nearly 2 years left on my 3 year license. (Only 60 nodes, but still....)

Been wanting to get something installed on our Smartphones that I can centrally control, but haven't had the time to deal with it.

Poor Silverlight. Reminds me of XPS trying to take a bite out of PDF. I'll hand it to Adobe, they are quite adept at making money off of an open standard.

I really wish developers would stop re-inventing the wheel all the time. Keep updating your software until it is perfect or near perfect! Seriously, can you think of any software that TRULY had 'new innovative features' over the last 5-10 years? (Aside from the mobile space...)

Most desktop Office/productivity/Client/Server software has served the same purpose for a very long time.

Perhaps IPv6 would have required something new someday.

I dunno. I'm just getting sick of the constant update cycles....and the poor quality of the "latest and greatest" releases.

Although I was initially against the SaaS and subscription licensing models, it does seem to be the only solution that will allow developers to 'refine' their products properly. Now if we can just get them to realize that they don't need to keep DRASTICALLY changing (aka BREAKING) things.....we'll be in good shape. I'm looking at you Oracle.....Adobe......Microsoft....

I've seen too much time spent on FLUFF and UI updates and not enough time spent on underlying reliability, usability and SECURITY as of late, and it is depressing.

People, listen: If your software is good, the subscriptions will come. Just keep perfecting what you have. Stop this 'built from the ground up is better' mentality.

Hey J. Earnhart, you should post this last message, maybe a bit more extended, as an article on Spiceworks, I'm sure you'll get lots of reads from it, and maybe even a bigger reaction from other IT sectors, you never know. Thanks and cheers!