itbm

Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Question (64-bit Windows 7)

Hi,

I have a 64-bit Windows 7 system and am currently using Pure 2.0 CF2. I noticed in the PURE 3.0 Knowledge base the following statement in "Known Issues for Pure 3.0 version 13.0.2.558"

1) Application Control does not monitor certain privileges under 64-bit operating systems. as well as....

2)The application does not scan traffic of services that use TLS v1.2

I tried to find the answer on my own, but was unable to. Can someone explain what these mean (Particularly the 1st one) and how they affect the security of my computer if I go ahead and upgrade. I want to upgrade, but would like to be aware of these first.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You!

hello

1)simply put. some things in application control don't work with 64 bit operating systems (this is the same with pure 2, so no disadvantage).

Are you sure? Application control (for Pure 2) isn't stated as 'limited' for 64 bit operating systems on the website:

"*The following limitations apply for all x64 operating systems:

Password Manager is not available for 64-bit applications on x64 operating systems.

Safe Desktop is not available on x64 operating systems.

Safe Browser and Safe Run Mode are not available on Microsoft Windows XP x64.

Safe Browser and Safe Run Mode run with limited functionality on Microsoft Windows Vista x64 and Microsoft Windows 7 x64 (running applications cannot create COM-objects)."

Edited by Cu-Sith

Yes. Actually if I recall if you put it side by side with the 32 bit version you'll also see missing items in the list (both application control & proactive defense). Full support for 64 bit OS's isn't possible due to the limitations imposed by patch guard which prevents kernel hooks - used extensively on 32 bit versions of the OS.

I find this interesting since most all new systems sold now days run 64 bit versions of windows. Hardly anyone using 32 bit anymore due to the limitations of memory usage. Does that mean that your product does not protect these machines, if so that should be stated on the software packages so everyone will know. I wouldn't have recently bought Pure 2.0 if I had known that my win 7 pro 64 bit machine is not fully protected using your product. I don't see that stated on the retail package anywhere.

Maybe I should ask for a refund plus shipping if product has to be returned to you since it doesn't protect one's computer like it states and I will go to one of your competitor's products that fully protects my computer.

James

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am glad to know that it is safe to upgrade. My main concern was with ZeroAccess(Sirefef) and Zeus after reading another vendor had issues w/ 64-bit systems. Glad i use Kaspersky.

Thanks!

I find this interesting since most all new systems sold now days run 64 bit versions of windows. Hardly anyone using 32 bit anymore due to the limitations of memory usage. Does that mean that your product does not protect these machines, if so that should be stated on the software packages so everyone will know. I wouldn't have recently bought Pure 2.0 if I had known that my win 7 pro 64 bit machine is not fully protected using your product. I don't see that stated on the retail package anywhere.

James

As the mod said it's just a few functions you loose... gotta read the small print lol :rtfm: In fairness the features that don't work aren't even available in a lot of the rival AV's. IMO it's still a great product.

I found this informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Patch_Protection

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.