I've just had to uninstall KIS 2013 from my PC because it had become unusable.

avp.exe up to 100% cpu regularly today.

Couldn't even access Internet to find out what the problem was, as browser kept hanging.

Suspending KIS from its own menu didn't help, and once suspended it couldn't be resumed (resume was greyed out!) without rebooting Windows.

Win XP SP3 all latest patches, AMD Athlon X2 250, 4GB RAM.

I've abandoned KIS for now, switched to MS Security Essentials out of desperation. Machine now runs a lot quicker, and consequently managed to find this thread about the problem :-)

Good luck everybody...

Same here and I have two instances of avp.exe running, when I disable self defence it re-enables itslef within a few moments.

Like I said in another post KAV is becoming as destructive as a virus itself :( decided to give it another try today and this is what happens.

Win XP as well.

As I have added above, please try to perform a manual update. The problem should be fixed by now.

Edited by JanRei

After updating KIS 2012 this evening all sites (except google) was blocked and KIS has a strange behaviour (if you disable the protection you are not able to re-enable it). I first saw this behaviour on a PC of a friend of mine who called me for help, but after half an hour my PC showed the same behaviour!

I switched on a third PC with KIS 2012 and at the beginning all run flawlessly. Then I forced KIS to update. After updating it was impossible to browse any site except google.

I scanned the PC with TDSSKiller, MBAM and Combofix but (obviously) they found nothing..... and I discovered that disabling the KIS firewall I can surf the internet again. I also discovered others had the same trouble just today......

What's going on?

Same problem, but now it is solved, it seems.

Try reinstalling it,i just updated KIS 2013 and it works again like a charm.

I think they've already released a fix/patch for this problem.

Edited by Ghemon

EDIT: Please try to run an update first. I think the problem should be fixed.

Updated rebooted and everything back to normal. CPU issue fixed. Able to surf the net again. :bravo:

And another XP user with an ageing Dell here suffering from the same problem.

Trying to run an update, but not progressing very far, very quickly at the moment. :(

As I have added above, please try to perform a manual update. The problem should be fixed by now.

Tried that, made no differance, however disabling web and IM aV seems to have stopped it.

Last update shows as 4/2/13 at 16:52

Had something similar happen here. Ran an update, restarted web browser and was back up and running. Not sure what happened.

Had something similar happen here. Ran an update, restarted web browser and was back up and running. Not sure what happened.

No, nothing changed after restart. KIS has also a very strange behaviour, if you disable it your cannot re-enable it until restart.

I noticed KIS (specifically avp.exe) taking around 45 to 55 percent CPU today. Fixed by restarting, though. Running KIS 2013 on Windows 8 x64.

Edited by Miikka Virtanen

If KAV/KIS got in an unhealthy state so that it cannot be used properly anymore, please restart KAV/KIS or reboot the system. Then try to run an update, database release date should be about one hour ago from now.

No, nothing changed after restart. KIS has also a very strange behaviour, if you disable it your cannot re-enable it until restart.

Same thing started happening to me today. I was freaking out thinking it was my ISP, but my phone could get on the internet no problems through my wireless router. I narrowed it down to Kaspersky. When I disabled it, I was unable to resume protection because it was grayed out. The CPU process was extremely high. I had to reboot my machine until I could get it to renable again.

However, after I renabled protection, I ran an update to Kaspersky and it seems to have fixed the issue. This may have something to do with the Network port protection settings within Kaspersky.

Edited by Norrin0693

Same problem here

Windows 8 Pro x64

Two avp.exe processes in the Task Manager: One of them 3,3 Mb, the other one 236,8 Mb.

Use of CPU at some moments: 98,9%

RAM: use of 30%

No hidden objects scan, rootkit scan or critical areas scan while this problem was happening.

Fan of the laptop at maximum speed for a long, long, long time.

Running Windows Live Mail, Firefox, Aimp, Thunderbird and not much more in that moment. I was doing my "standard/normal" use of my computer.

I´ve closed the program ("K" of the clock bar and all the connections) but I´ve been unable to stop/ disable the services associated to Kaspersky even from the Admin account.

After restarting, all seems to work perfectly again.

What is happening? IMAGE ATTACHED

post-274808-1360023972_thumb.jpg

post-274808-1360024303_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darkness Knight

I am getting similar symptoms

Could not login to my Virgin Media super hub either until Kaspersky was off

Is there a fix?

Exact same things happened here, Windows 8 Pro x64...cpu usage at 100%, tried to pause or kill Kaspersky, could not. Went to Admin user, could not pause, exit, or kill it.

Had to restart system. About ready to go back to Nod32 from whence I came here, but system was functional after restart.

It would be nice to hear what happened, and what I should do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Thanks.

Same problem here

Windows 8 Pro x64

Two avp.exe processes in the Task Manager: One of them 3,3 Mb, the other one 236,8 Mb.

Use of CPU at some moments: 98,9%

RAM: use of 30%

No hidden objects scan, rootkit scan or critical areas scan while this problem was happening.

Fan of the laptop at maximum speed for a long, long, long time.

I´ve closed the program ("K" of the clock bar and all the connections) but I´ve been unable to stop/ disable the services associated to Kaspersky even from the Admin account.

After restarting, all seems to work perfectly again.

What is happening?

We've had the same issues at the office today. Windows XP computers would get bottle necked by kaspersky and internet browsing was disrupted. The same happened at remote locations on computers running windows xp.

Doing a roll back on the latest update in kaspersky seems to resolve the issue, hopefully running the update again won't bring it back.

My problem if it was related to all of yours, has now been solved. I deleted temp files in disk clean up, rebooted, updated KIS, and now I can navigate IE7 fine. All good for me, not sure. if my problem (other thread) is same as what is going on, but I too have KIS12

Its working better now

i have the latest version of KIS.

XP

IE and Firefox wouldn't work

I reset my Modem and everything.

when it was happening - stopping the internet - it was slowing the whole computer to a halt and mouse and graphics not moving.

It must be an update caused this?

I might change to another program in a few months if it happens again (what's better?)

looking for

[*]high protection and

[*]root kit -

[*]low footprint

[*]and non intrusive -

now KIS has become intrusive

Its working better now

IE and Firefox wouldn't work

when it was happening - stopping the internet - ...

It must be an update caused this?

I might change to another program in a few months if it happens again (what's better?)

now KIS has become intrusive

>It must be an update caused this?

Most likely. I experienced the same issues with Internet access using KAV2012 after an update this afternoon.

After another update about two hours later, the problem went away.

>I might change to another program in a few months if it happens again (what's better?)

>now KIS has become intrusive

Don't be too precipitous in jumping ship because of a single - and short-lived - problem stemming from a

routine update. Most - if not all - of the top AV products have had at least one occasion of an update

breaking some systems. Given the complex nature of AV protection mechanisms, it's surprising that it

doesn't happen more often. If you switch products every time a problem with an update occurs, you'll

soon run out of products to use.