Ask Eugene! Read more... ×
DVi

Today (November, 22nd) KAV/KIS, updater crashing

If you have application crash during update, please uncheck "self-defence" option and delete this file manually:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP6\Data\updcfg.xml

After this operation check "self-defence" option back on.

Current updates on the servers are okay! Green light to update.

Just downloaded a 900kb file successfully, on manual, after deleting that file you suggested Igor.

Edited by norwegian

truly strange solution. nonetheless, thank u!

and anna is right. i cant imagine wat of the 90% of KIS users, none of them being technical, 2 say the least.

Considering the turn around on this, by the time half of the users realise, it will be fixed.

Utility that deletes this updcfg.xml is attached.

it was very helpfull thanks!

but this kind of problems makes a prodact unreliable! :(

not all of the users have the time or the knowing to fix the problem i thing lots of them they are going to use another prodact!

i am sory but thats only my opinion :unsure:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP6\Data\updcfg.xml

and update a little later.

You Moderators should put this message on the home page!!!

I think there must be a lot of people getting mad now.

Some posts have been deleted, only so that users will see the fix/utility as quickly as possible. :)

Hi,

I'm having problems updating two pc's here with Kav v6.0, I keep getting AVP.exe error and KAV then turns off :o

I've tried the clean up utility but I get an error "cannot cleanup" :(

Can anyone help please? (I'm not technical whatsoever so please be gentle with me :))

TIA

Utility that deletes this updcfg.xml automatically is attached. No need to disable Self-Defence.

Phew was getting panicky! Thanks for the fix!

Igor love your avatar - cats are my favourite!

Thanks guys... B)

Hi,

I'm having problems updating two pc's here with Kav v6.0, I keep getting AVP.exe error and KAV then turns off  :o

I've tried the clean up utility but I get an error "cannot cleanup" :(

Can anyone help please? (I'm not technical whatsoever so please be gentle with me :))

TIA

Just go to Settings - Services and uncheck the box Enable Self-Defense, start the tool and check again this box (Enable Self-Defense)!

Phew was getting panicky! Thanks for the fix!

Igor love your avatar - cats are my favourite!

Thanks guys... B)

Question: do all users have to apply the fix specifically, or delete the file manually? Or is this going to be sorted out automatically for most people - if not it's true that it will put people off this product.

Just go to Settings - Services and uncheck the box Enable Self-Defense, start the tool and check again this box (Enable Self-Defense)!

Hi,

Thank you for your reply :)

I tried that but still got the error (am running win2k) but it worked on my XP machine. This is driving me up the wall :angry:

Any other ideas please as I don't like not being protected :(

You Moderators should put this message on the home page!!!

I think there must be a lot of people getting mad now.

We will put an FAQ asap on the Support page.

Igor love your avatar - cats are my favourite

Thanks! :) I have a cat at home.. not a tiger though :)

do all users have to apply the fix specifically, or delete the file manually? Or is this going to be sorted out automatically for most people - if not it's true that it will put people off this product.

You can either delete the file manually or use the utiility - the action will be the same. Unfortunately it is not going to be solved by itself for those, who updated from the bad updates. :(

Good job guys, was getting panicky too :)

I, too, think you should put this message on the home page!!!

Sorry but I cant find any option labelled "self defense" Might it have any other label?

I was not able to update and three times I have received the windows XP error notification and then Kaspersky has shut down. This is not just during updating but when the computer has not been connected to the internet.

I have run the attachment on this forum and can now update but could the other 'shut downs' when not connected be related to this.

Edited by macdaithi

Sorry but I cant find any option labelled "self defense"  Might it have any other label?

I was not able to update and three times I have received  the windows XP error notification and then Kaspersky has shut down.  This is not just during updating but when the computer has not been connected to the internet. 

I have run the attachment on this forum and can now update but could  the other 'shut downs' when not connected  be related to this.

Maybe you should simply try to reinstall 6.0.1.411 this way:

1. Download KisKav6Remove.zip .

2. Make a folder called Kav 6.0 on the desktop and unzip KisKavRemove into this,, then uninstall Kaspersky, reboot into safemode and run the tool (doubleclick on "avp_remove.cmd" for the 6.0 tool). Only works if installed in the default c:\ location with windows!

3. Now boot into normalmode and install Kaspersky again.

Hi,

I've managed to delete the file now. For anyone else who is having problems deleting it I simply went into safe mode and deleted the file that way.

Every time I tried this before I got access denied, file is in use.

Hope that helps someone else :)

hi ppl.

after that file had been deleted i resume the update normally. :)

But i still have somthing wrong here in my KAV. :wacko:

It gives me waring that some protection components failed to start, and i think its somthing about Web Anti-Virus. am attaching a pic so u can see wat am exactly meaning and i hope i can got a solution.

thanx guys.

Hunter of Hearts

Jordan...

post-23932-1164208980.jpg

You can either delete the file manually or use the utiility - the action will be the same. Unfortunately it is not going to be solved by itself for those, who updated from the bad updates. :(

This is going to be beyond the ability of 80% of users, I'd imagine, if any of them is anything like my sister, for example and I'm guessing that most of them are!

Hi, I'm running KIS version 300 with b,c,d,e updates and have had no problems updateing at all today, my question is even though I have not had a problem do I still need to run the CleanupUpdCfg.zip posted earlier to prevent any further issues arrising later, also do I need to uncheck the Self-Defense box in services or do I just leave everything well alone if KIS is running OK.

Thanks