Hello! I have been looking everywhere but I can't find what I want. Does anyone know how to set up KIS 2013 for the maximum protection possible? Any guide? I'm new to it's settings so I don't want to mess something up. But I'm an advanced user so I never use out of the box settings.

Thank you.

Edited by Seany007

Hi,

Re FireWall -> Settings -> Network, the guide says 'make sure that your Network/Network device is in Local Status' but further down suggests all the settings are their personal preference.

I would like to know, therefore, which offers the better security: having it set to 'local' or 'public'?

If public has the same meaning as in windows vista, 'public' offers the greater protection as public limits the discovery of the computer and devices and restricts use of the network by some programs but I don't know if public has the same meaning in kaspersky internet security 2013.

Therefore, what does 'public' and 'local' mean in kaspersky internet security 2013 (as it doesn't seem to say in the help files) and is it better security in public or local?

Anyone any ideas please?

Edited by totallybaffled

Please set Internet to Public, and your home network to Local. Apply > ok all and reboot for good measure.

------

I start with strict Default settings, and I take note of what the default settings are.

Then I enable Other, located in detection types.

I enable Interactive protection, by disabling Automatic, located in the first window of the settings.

I disable Windows default sound scheme, to enable the pig squeal.

Then I remove the infected_p.wav, and replace it with the old infected_p.wav, to restore the very shrill pig squeal that was replaced circa year 2010 with a subdued pig squeal.

I enable icon animation.

I leave the Scan settings on strict default. Once a year, I do an on-demand Full scan, but I max the scan settings right before I do the scan, then I do the scan, then I revert to strict defaults when the scan is completed.

Edited by richbuff

Please set Internet to Public, and your home network to Local. Apply > ok all and reboot for good measure.

------

I start with strict Default settings, and I take note of what the default settings are.

I enable Interactive protection, by disabling Automatic, located in the first window of the settings.

Then I remove the infected_p.wav, and replace it with the old infected_p.wav, to restore the very shrill pig squeal that was replaced circa year 2010 with a subdued pig squeal.

I enable icon animation.

I leave the Scan settings on strict default. Once a year, I do an on-demand Full scan, but I max the scan settings right before I do the scan, then I do the scan, then I revert to strict defaults when the scan is completed.

One thing why not just leave the on demand scan on high level? the on-demand scan is only for when you do scans on-demand (and YOU do that only once a year), so it should not have any effect on the rest of the scan settings or am I wrong ?

Just like you, I only do full scans maybe once or twice a year, or after uninstalling / installing a new program version.

Edited by Sall

Ok, thanks richbuff.

------

I enable icon animation.

Hi in my firewall settings TAP-Win32 Adapter OAS ie "VPN" is set set as public,should i leave it as public or set it to local ?

Does anyone really know how Kaspersky exploit prevention works? I read about it but still have no clue. Does it work like EMET or ExploitShield can you use it with such programs? Thanks.

Few more Q's about settings: What happens when you enable interactive protection and disable trust digital signatures? Also what happens if I enable to move the unknown applications into untrusted section in the application control? Will it move all unknown system files into this zone? I want to do this so it can stop ransomware. Will it work? Thanks.

Edited by Seany007

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.