• Announcements

• Rodion Nagornov

Недоступность форума // Forum maintenance   08/16/2017

В связи с техническими работами форум будет недоступен с 20.00 (МСК) 18.08.2017. Максимальное время недоступности - до 20.00 (МСК) 20.08.2017. *** Due to maintenance forum will be unavailable since 8pm (+3 GMT) 18-Aug-2017. The longest possible time of maintenance - till 8.pm (+3 GMT) 20-Aug-2017.
webaccounts

KIS2013 - Slow startup/shutdown

83 posts in this topic

KAV 2013 is also slow for me on 2 XP's and a 7. It takes about 2 minutes and prevents anything network based from running within that time.

Uninstalling and going with 2012 is taking about 10 seconds to load so obviously something is wrong with 2013.

I usually wait before I install new applications not sure why I strayed from that path this time. Some better testing should've been done before releasing this version. Its not just myself and others on this forum but googling "kaspersky 2013 slow bootup" gives you plenty more.

The download of KAV 12/16/2012 still produces this problem. Just an fyi on anyone wanting to know if its been fixed.

I don't know what have you done with your software but please fix it as soon as possible .

My 64 bit Win7 system become slow . Extremely slow because KIS 2013 eats memory like a hungry hamster .

- the respond time of programs become slow

- internet become slow

- my PC can't hibernate because KIS 2013 not letting it

- i can only use the internet and programs if i disable your software or i restart Windows in safe mode

Edited by Don Pelotas
Edited thread title

Yep, something is definitely wrong with KIS2013 lately. My PC experienced all the same symptoms as yours, it would take upwards of 3 minutes to get it started and 5 minutes to shut down. Apps like Zoom Player were extremely slow to open and respond.

Just for reference my PC is:

Win7 x64 SP1

AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 GHz)

8GB RAM

500GB WD HDD

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB Core

Edited by Don Pelotas
Unwarranted suggestion to remove 2013 removed, stay on topic

I redownloaded the installer from here : http://www.kaspersky.com/internet-security-latest-versions

Uninstalled the one i had on my computer ( only saved the license information ) and rebooted my PC . Reinstalled the software ( used the downloaded file ) . Version : 13.0.1.4190 ( b ) . Currently everything is fine with it .

Using Firefox 17.0.1

The following KIS components are incompatible with it

- Safe Money

- Content Blocker

- URL Advisor

- Virtual Keyboard

Edited by Don Pelotas
Removed a not so nice comment about another vendor

I redownloaded the installer from here : http://www.kaspersky.com/internet-security-latest-versions

Uninstalled the one i had on my computer ( only saved the license information ) and rebooted my PC . Reinstalled the software ( used the downloaded file ) . Version : 13.0.1.4190 ( b ) . Currently everything is fine with it .

Using Firefox 17.0.1

The following KIS components are incompatible with it

- Safe Money

- Content Blocker

- URL Advisor

- Virtual Keyboard

13.0.1.4190 ( b ) does not support FF 17, you have to update 13.0.1.4190 ( b ) and reboot to receive ( d ) the patch that supports it.

Patch E is in testing ATM, it will have these fixes:

- FF18 support

- Problems with print from Safe Money

- Fixed delay problems with BlueCoat proxy

- Not saved settings after reboot

- Long start with disabled option "Concede operating system resources at system startup"

Edited by Don Pelotas

13.0.1.4190 ( b ) does not support FF 17, you have to update 13.0.1.4190 ( b ) and reboot to receive ( d ) the patch that supports it.

Patch E is in testing ATM, it will have these fixes:

- FF18 support

- Problems with print from Safe Money

- Fixed delay problems with BlueCoat proxy

- Not saved settings after reboot

- Long start with disabled option "Concede operating system resources at system startup"

i reboot and it docent give me the d patch

Booted my PC today to find the exact same problem with KIS2013 on Win7... my PC is basically unusable right now and having to use the laptop which is far from ideal.

I installed KIS2013 about a week ago after uninstalling KIS2012 which I had running smoothly for about 10 months. 2013 worked fine for a few days until yesterday and then I got your problem with about a 6 minute hang then full speed.

I rebooted several times, not knowing yet it was KIS causing it, until I noticed the bootup was pretty normal until the KIS icon appeared when it became super slow. It would take 20 secs to open Notepad but I could type into it OK, desktop folders wouldn't open, the Start Menu didn't do anything, Task Manager would take a minute to open when CPU usage showed 0%, then after a while everything I had clicked on suddenly appeared. The only error message I ever saw was (I think) in response to trying to open a desktop folder, it was "Server Execution Failed". Seems to me Windows was stopped in its tracks loading up something or a timeout was in operation, it wasn't heavy CPU useage or disk usage as the disk was quite quiet after a while.

I uninstalled KIS2013 with licence data retained only, installed KIS2012 and updated it and all was OK. I searched the internet and saw a few comments, some in this thread, about similar problems after a new KIS2013 update. I've now reinstalled 2013 which is at patch e after an update/reboot and it seems OK now. Fingers crossed.

Edited by sbrads

The same problem here with Windows 7 [32bits] and Kaspersky Internet Security 2003.

95% to 100% CPU usage at start-up since patch E release yesterday.

Serious issue. Please fix it!

Thanks

Miguel

I got the patch yesterday and everything was back to normal. But I find today the issue has resurfaced when I switched on my PC... I'm back to where I started.

1. Do two reboots, then Settings > fourth cardboard box icon > Compatibility > uncheck Concede Operating System resources at computer startup > apply > ok > reboot. Any better? If not, then

2. Disable System Watcher > apply > ok > reboot. Any better?

1. Do two reboots, then Settings > fourth cardboard box icon > Compatibility > uncheck Concede Operating System resources at computer startup > apply > ok > reboot. Any better? If not, then

2. Disable System Watcher > apply > ok > reboot. Any better?

Been having same problems here. Slow boot, about 5 minutes of total jam after startup.

"Concede..."-setting didn't help, but disabling system watcher returned system behavior to normal. Maybe something, that Kaspersky should check out...

I installed KIS2013 about a week ago after uninstalling KIS2012 which I had running smoothly for about 10 months. 2013 worked fine for a few days until yesterday and then I got your problem with about a 6 minute hang then full speed.

I rebooted several times, not knowing yet it was KIS causing it, until I noticed the bootup was pretty normal until the KIS icon appeared when it became super slow. It would take 20 secs to open Notepad but I could type into it OK, desktop folders wouldn't open, the Start Menu didn't do anything, Task Manager would take a minute to open when CPU usage showed 0%, then after a while everything I had clicked on suddenly appeared. The only error message I ever saw was (I think) in response to trying to open a desktop folder, it was "Server Execution Failed". Seems to me Windows was stopped in its tracks loading up something or a timeout was in operation, it wasn't heavy CPU useage or disk usage as the disk was quite quiet after a while.

I uninstalled KIS2013 with licence data retained only, installed KIS2012 and updated it and all was OK. I searched the internet and saw a few comments, some in this thread, about similar problems after a new KIS2013 update. I've now reinstalled 2013 which is at patch e after an update/reboot and it seems OK now. Fingers crossed.

It's back again, KIS2013 slow as molasses at bootup. A closer look at what's going on shows low CPU usage during bootup apart from odd spikes much as expected, then the KIS tray icon shows and CPU usage is still low and I can run programs or open folders at this point but then just I would normally be getting a more or less fully responsive desktop say 10 secs or so later, the CPU goes up to almost 100% and stays there for about 4-5 minutes more, the desktop becoming almost unusable but then it suddenly stops and everything is full speed. During this period of high CPU, I can't actually see any named processes actually using it though apart from the total usage in the graph being 100% or thereabouts. I might look at this again, there has to be something using it but I couldn't find it and avp.exe shows 0%. If I run Process Explorer during the pre-icon show stage (i.e. while I can!) and store all file and process activity there seem to be a lot of instances of svchost .exe trying and failing to create files in a non-existent path which surely belongs to my old uninstalled KIS2012? i.e. C:\Program Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12 which certainly doesn't exist on my PC. Relevant? No idea but it seems strange.

Edited by sbrads

Ladies & gentlemen

If you have the issue with system watcher (easy to find out if you do, turn it off in the settings and reboot), then i'd like to tell you that it is a know issue for some users. There is not ETA regarding a fix. so please do not fill the thread with useless "+1 or me too" posts because already mentioned it is a know issue so turn it off if 2013 is "slow as molasses in january".

I never suffer from some of these things seen in the forum, however i would like to share a few settings tweaks that i always perfom to get a better performance....you never know if they will help some of you. For example most of my setups never did like the "smart mode" in the settings.....so these two tweaks i always do:

Go into settings, select "file av settings" section and select the "additional" tab, and change from the "smart mode" scan mode to the "on access and modification" scan mode. Now select the scan setting and uncheck "Perform idle scan" & "regular rootkit scan" Click apply....reboot and see what happens. Run a full scan of course if you haven't.

In addtion to those two another thing i would personally do is to uncheck both the "Concede Operating System resources at computer startup" & "Concede resources to other applications found in the advanced part of the settings under compatibility if you have a newer pc with "modern specs"....eg not a pentium 4 2.8 ghz with 1gb ram! More like dual/quad core with 4GB ram and up. :)

Ladies & gentlemen

If you have the issue with system watcher (easy to find out if you do, turn it off in the settings and reboot), then i'd like to tell you that it is a know issue for some users. There is not ETA regarding a fix.

a known issue? im a client of your for 6 years and never had such a problem...all that happened within the last 3 days...apparently from your latest updates...and you are telling us that you wont fix it?

are you talking for Kaspersky company?

if thats so then the first thing im gonna do next morning is uninstall this software and try another....

i can't believe that this is the kind of support you are giving to customers who are supporting you all those years...

what a pitty....

I have also turned off `System watcher` and unchecked `Concede Operating System resources at computer startup` after suffering slow boot times, but I want to know what are the effects of having these turned off?

a known issue? im a client of your for 6 years and never had such a problem...all that happened within the last 3 days...apparently from your latest updates...and you are telling us that you wont fix it?

are you talking for Kaspersky company?

if thats so then the first thing im gonna do next morning is uninstall this software and try another....

i can't believe that this is the kind of support you are giving to customers who are supporting you all those years...

what a pitty....

You're in a user forum, it's not support....in fact we're users just like you and not speaking on behalf of the Kaspersky legal dept or marketing. But yes, it's a known issue IF we're discussing the issue with system watcher, if this was something "in the last 3 days" affecting all users then the forum would be redhot with thread spanning several pages.......it's not, so it would appear unfortunately some users are affected and instead of overreacting it might be helpful if you turned of system watcher, rebooted and found if it is the cause...you know for when you contacting support instead of ranting in a user forum which will not help anyone.

I have also turned off `System watcher` and unchecked `Concede Operating System resources at computer startup` after suffering slow boot times, but I want to know what are the effects of having these turned off?

Of those only system watcher will affect your overall security, will it be less? Yes, is it critical?.........no, not as a workaround until fixed by the developers. :)

OK cheers Don, I`ll leave it off until a fix comes out.

It's definitely System Watcher. After several reboots proving this to myself, I tried this.... SW off, reboot to a fast PC, wait 5 minutes or longer (I tried 7/12/30 mins) with everything calm and fast, turn on and Apply SW, now the PC uses 100% CPU for 5 minutes approx then it's fast again. Even if you turn off SW a few seconds after the 100% CPU starts up, it still continues at 100% for 5 minutes regardless!

I'm having problems with extremely slow shutdown(3.5 times slower than with KIS 2012) and no protection during and after startup.

I have Windows 7 64 bit Pro.

8GB RAM, 2nd generation fast Intel-i7, Solid State Drive(also tested on a PC with HDD).

Here is a little bit of background:

Uninstalled all other security programs(like Malwarebytes,Spybot, even if they don't have real-time scanner).

Uninstalled Kaspersky.

Rebooted.

Downloaded and installed the latest 2013 version from official website.Updated,rebooted,got patch E.

Rebooted.

Then I disabled Kaspersky and downloaded EICAR virus and saved it in encrypted folder.I rebooted PC and decrypted the EICAR

and opened the virus file.Kaspersky did NOT detect it.After 25 seconds the Kaspersky icon showed up and and I opened EICAR again and this time it detected.25 seconds is a pretty slow startup considering the fact that I'm using SSD.My desktop PC which has HDD needs 4 minutes to start the antivirus.

I tried using the software with and without "Concede OS resources during startup..." option checked.

Then I disabled System Watcher and the computer shut down right away(like it used to) BUT it still took long time to start the protection when my PC was boot up (opened EICAR virus multiple times,went undetected for 25 seconds until icon showed up).

I disabled the network card and rebooted the PC but that didn't help.

I tried disabling the Cloud Protection option but that didn't help.

I ran a full scan of the PC then rebooted twice by thinking that iSwift and iChecker could make the PC faster but that didn't help neither.

I can not use KIS without System Watcher because that is what monitors the computer for suspicious activities(HIPS protection) nor do I suggest anyone to disable it.Behavior monitor is one of the only ways to protect yourself against zero-day malwares as far as I know.Even if I do disable System Watcher, it will only give me faster shutdown times which is not my main concern.My main concern is the lack of protection during and after startup.

Does anyone know if Kaspersky Lab is working on Patch F ? I know that they are aware of this problem but they were going to fix the issue with Patch E but that patch turned out to be not so useful for me ,and as I understand, for other users as well.

Thanks for your time.

I decided to monitor my computer with Sysinternal ProcessMonitor to find out what's happening.I rebooted the PC and ran the ProcessMonitor tool right away.

I noticed that Kaspersky was inactive at the beginning then it started to read/write whole lot of files and registery keys(which is normal I guess).

Then I noticed that many attemps to read/write files and registery keys were not sucessful.

There was a long line of activities where Kaspersky tried to read registery keys but the result was showing "Name not found" or "Buffer overflow"(especially in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\Certificates\e.t.c e.t.c registry area).

In the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CustomLocale registry area it was trying to REPARSE something,then it showed SUCCESS then it showed NAME NOT FOUND.This process happened many times(like a cycle) that's why it caught my attention.

I don't know if this has anything to do with startup delays.Keep in mind that I'm talking about Kaspersky startup time and not my computer startup.My PC is actually booting faster with KIS 2013.

I also wanted to let people know that the green window that shows up and says "Protection Enabled" is incorrectly delayed,just ignore it.Protection begins as soon as the red K icon appears in taskbar(but not sooner than that, I tested it).

In my case the red icon(and protection) starts after 25 seconds but the green "Protection Enabled" notification appears after about 2 minutes.

Cheers

Hmm .

Since i patched the software KIS components of Firefox shows version number : 13.0.1.4250

The problem with the Virtual Keyboard slowing the mouse pointer seems to have been fixed, but the keyboard appearing after clicking the firefox button is still a hit and miss affair.

I can confirm this, as well, on my new Win7/64 desktop running a clean install of KIS2013 in a new, from-scratch Fx profile.

VK works consistently from the system tray icon > tools, but NOT from the browser plug-in button.

(If I uninstall/reinstall Fx (keeping my profile, of course), the VK works once or twice. However, the next time I open a browser session, it does not.)

URL advisor and the other browser plug-ins do seem to work OK.

MM

PS I hope to update both of my other rigs (win7/64 and Win7/32) to KIS2013 in the next few days -- will report back if the VK issue is confirmed on them, as well.