gmcpmc

Windows Defender

9 posts in this topic

Not being very computer smart, I need some help. I have had my computer for 2 years with Window 7. I use KAV2012 - 12.0.0.374J. Never paid attention until an update failed that Windows Defender is on the computer. Did some searching and found yes, it's ok to have both, no it's no ok to have both. Very confusing. What is the correct answer. If no, what do I do with Windows Defender? Does having both hurt?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.....thanks.

gmcpmc,

There seems to be a lot confusion about compatibility of Windows Defender and KAV/KIS. For KAV/KIS 2012 Windows Defender 1.1 is listed by Kaspersky as incompatible: http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2012/install?qid=208284358

For KAV/KIS 2013 Windows Defender has been take off the list: http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2013/install?qid=208286578

Personally, over the last 3 years I had KIS 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013 on my Windows 7 64 bit PC and never any problem with the co-location of Windows Defender and KIS. However, in Windows Defender I disabled the "real time protection" and use Defender only as a second opinion with a manual scan.

gmcpmc,

There seems to be a lot confusion about compatibility of Windows Defender and KAV/KIS. For KAV/KIS 2012 Windows Defender 1.1 is listed by Kaspersky as incompatible: http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2012/install?qid=208284358

For KAV/KIS 2013 Windows Defender has been take off the list: http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2013/install?qid=208286578

Personally, over the last 3 years I had KIS 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013 on my Windows 7 64 bit PC and never any problem with the co-location of Windows Defender and KIS. However, in Windows Defender I disabled the "real time protection" and use Defender only as a second opinion with a manual scan.

This is exactly what I'm going to do now. Your detailed post helped me a lot :ay:

Just upgraded to Win 8.

Edited by 38 special

Hi

I've wondered also about the compatability of defender with KIS13 and chose to disable it completely in Services. However, given posts here indicating that defender is not compatable yet no longer appears on the list, I am still confused. Does defender not appearing on the list mean that Kasp are stating as fact that it is not a problem? Moreover, how would one know if a conflict was occurring between KIS13 and defender? Issues could be occurring that are not visible or apparent to the non-expert computer user, thereby giving a false sense of security - literally as well as figuratively. Personally, I will leave it disabled till Kasp state it's not an issue.

Cheers.

Hi

I've wondered also about the compatability of defender with KIS13 and chose to disable it completely in Services.

Simply Disabling WD in Services does Not keep the sub-modules from running/Slowing your computer (WD never found anything on my computer anyway)!-

I temp re-enabled WD, and UN-ticked ALL sub-modules (on left)/Disable/reboot.

Yep that makes sense and it's what I did on Win 8 just now.

Thing is WD GUI on Win8 is a bit different than previous versions with just two instances for disabling it, real-time protection and turn-on WD boxes. Just then its own service can be disabled for extra assurance :P

Yep that makes sense and it's what I did on Win 8 just now.

Thing is WD GUI on Win8 is a bit different than previous versions with just two instances for disabling it, real-time protection and turn-on WD boxes. Just then its own service can be disabled for extra assurance :P

I'm new to KIS2013, and find it unfortunate that there is no "official" view from Kaspersky, wrt to "Windows Defender".

How many layers of AV and Malware protection do we need?

How much CPU and memory can we afford?

Windows Defender:

- is not listed by "Programs and Features" for de-installation

- has constant update requests from "Windows Update"

- has a running service (WinDefend)

- has a command line utility (MpCmdRun) and

- has a user interface (MSASCui)

This all seems to be separate from MSE (MS Security Essentials) and the old Live OneCare.

Why?

I'm new to KIS2013, and find it unfortunate that there is no "official" view from Kaspersky, wrt to "Windows Defender".

How many layers of AV and Malware protection do we need?

How much CPU and memory can we afford?

Windows Defender:

- is not listed by "Programs and Features" for de-installation

- has constant update requests from "Windows Update"

- has a running service (WinDefend)

- has a command line utility (MpCmdRun) and

- has a user interface (MSASCui)

This all seems to be separate from MSE (MS Security Essentials) and the old Live OneCare.

Why?

The "new" WD is basically the old WDefender (antispyware only) combined with the MSE antivirus.

I always tend to think that a good antivirus alone (like KAV) is good enough for everyone, but hey it's just my view.

As for the "new" WD included with Win8, it cannot be uninstalled from the system and that's why it's not listed on 'programs and features'. So prior to install KAV or KIS, it's advisable to deactivate WD manually by following the steps above.