bebris

A desktop heap allocation failed with KAV for workstation v6.0.4.1611

Hello!

I have updated all workstations in our company to version 6.0.4.1611.

I have done it by using Administration's Kit version: 8.0.2177 deploy task.

Now some part of workstations with windows 7 has warnings in system log "A desktop heap allocation failed." when booting up!

When this happens it is not possible to lunch any application or shortcut from desktop! Logging out of windows and then logging back again is work around that helps.

I'm very sure that there was not such problems with earlier version 6.0.4.1424.

Any help would be much appreciated!

regards,

Juris

Can you check this key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows

What is the value for: WindowsSharedSection=1024,3072,512? Then change 3072 to 4096.

Try again.

We are experiencing the same issue. Our values in the registry entry suggested above are the default for Windows 7 and substantially higher. We tried increasing the 3rd value to 1024 but it made now difference.

Hi there,

We are experiancing the same issue with v6.0.4.1611

We are using Kaseya for our deployment.

The PC is an HP Compaq 8200 Elite AiO Business

Runnning: Windows 7 Professional x86 - Service Pack 1, 4GB RAM.

The computer has only been in 2 days shy of a month.

The system event log is showing the following warnings:

Source: Wininit

Event ID: 11

Details:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206F6DEA-D3C5-4D10-BC72-989F03C8B84B}" />

<EventID>11</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-01T17:58:59.114031300Z" />

<EventRecordID>11504</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="560" ThreadID="592" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>computer.domain.local</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="StringCount">2</Data>

<Data Name="String">C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1.0FO\adialhk.dll</Data>

<Data Name="String">C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1.0FO\kloehk.dll</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Source: Win32k

Event ID: 243

Details:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Win32k" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">243</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-01T17:59:38.064974000Z" />

<EventRecordID>11530</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>computer.domain.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data />

<Binary>000000000100000000000000F3000080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

For the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows

The Windows SharedSection=1024,12288,512

The start menu is not visible, when the start menu is pressed only the users display picture (avatar) is shown.

The start menu is there, if you move the mouse around the display picture changes to what you are hovering over eg. control panel.

The only work around is to either restart the PC remotely which can take a couple of times to correct the issue or to press alt+ctrl+del and log off then log back on.

Look forward to your responce.

Regards,

Chris

Hi again,

Sorry for the double post but I was unable to edit my original post.

As an addendum to my previous post, along with being unable to use the start menu.

You can not right click or open any programs by any means.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Exodesk

Hi again,

Sorry for the double post but I was unable to edit my original post.

As an addendum to my previous post, along with being unable to use the start menu.

You can not right click or open any programs by any means.

Cheers,

Chris

I saw this exact same problem yesterday with a brand-new Dell XPS laptop and KAV 6.0.4.1611 (fresh install using Kaseya). Had to uninstall and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Logging out and back in resolves the issue but is not a good workaround. I couldn't tell what process or service was being stopped by KAV. Would love to have an answer!

Thanks.

Yes, it's an issue known to happen. No, there is no 100% working solution. The "increase WindowsSharedSection values" recipe might help but not necessarily. And I have the same issue on 4 laptops of my 20 with 1611 installed -- cloned from the same W7Pro x64 image...

Yes, it's an issue known to happen. No, there is no 100% working solution. The "increase WindowsSharedSection values" recipe might help but not necessarily. And I have the same issue on 4 laptops of my 20 with 1611 installed -- cloned from the same W7Pro x64 image...

That's a little crazy don't you think? That laptop was unusable and it's starting to look like KAV is killing desktop workstations as well. I built two last week and both had problems immediately following the install reboot. is Kaspersky doing anything about this?

My company is also having this issue with v 6.0.4.1611. I have tried to speak to Kaspersky support about it but was told to pull system configuration logs, which didn't really point to "its a known issue" as I was expecting.

I am upgrading all my clients to Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8.1.0.831.

I have seen the issue only on workstations with MS Office 2010 installed. Does anybody have the problem manifesting itself without MSO 2010 installed?

Update:

I have just had a different client ring up this morning and 2 of their machines are doing it.

Kaspersky has been installed and running for 2 months now.

1x HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF

1x Lenovo ThinkCentre M90 SFF

Come on Kaspersky, this is getting a little bit ridiculous.

Another update:

2 days ago another client of ours had it happen on a Lenovo E530 laptop (Office 2010 preinstalled but not activated).

I have seen the issue only on workstations with MS Office 2010 installed. Does anybody have the problem manifesting itself without MSO 2010 installed?
So far all of our effected machines have Office 2010 installed on them, some clients are running older versions of Office but I will have to check if they have been upgraded to KAV v6.0.4.1611.

But in either case nothing has been reported yet from a pre 2010 Office user.

Hi,

we are having exactly the same problem with several workstations, HP 8100, HP 8200, HP 8300, all with Win7 Pro 32bit (some with SP1, some without) and Office 2010 on them. The problem started to appear when we deployed KAV v6.0.4.1611.

We're using Win7 & Office 2010 for quite some time and this was a working combination with the previous version of KAV. Symptoms are what the op said before:

Now some part of workstations with windows 7 has warnings in system log "A desktop heap allocation failed." when booting up!

When this happens it is not possible to lunch any application or shortcut from desktop! Logging out of windows and then logging back again is work around that helps.

Thought I would resurrect interest in this ongoing problem. We're using Kaspersky via Kaseya, all ~150 workstations under our watch are running 6.0.4.1611. The symptom of the inactive desktop seems to be isolated to Windows 7. At least we haven't seen it in XP or Vista yet.

Seeing as the last post on the topic was late November last year, I figured someone must have an update...?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.