smakb

Windows 8 ?

So we have just received 80 new laptops with Windows 8. I can't seem to find much about installing Kaspersky. Does anyone have any information about a timeline for a Windows 8 compatible version? Q1 2013 is a bit long to wait.

My concern is that we have a Kaspersky licence and if I have to purchase an alternative product for these laptops that then I will either have to manage 2 systems or dump Kaspersky.

Edited by Stephen Bloomer

Mikhail posted this info at 09.10.

Now 10 days later no more information are available.

Your web site at http://www.kaspersky.com/windows8 states

At Kaspersky Lab, we are continually developing new products that are fully compatible with the latest operating systems. Versions of Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus, that fully support Windows 8, will be available immediately upon the release of Windows 8.

So we have Windows 8. Where is Kaspersky?

Your web site at http://www.kaspersky.com/windows8 states

At Kaspersky Lab, we are continually developing new products that are fully compatible with the latest operating systems. Versions of Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus, that fully support Windows 8, will be available immediately upon the release of Windows 8.

So we have Windows 8. Where is Kaspersky?

Three items to clarify: Windows 8 has not been released to the General Public yet, and Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus are both Home User products, rendering that web page off-topic for this topic thread; and in addition, W8-ready versions of those two Home User products have already been released. :)

Three items to clarify: Windows 8 has not been released to the General Public yet, and Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus are both Home User products, rendering that web page off-topic for this topic thread; and in addition, W8-ready versions of those two Home User products have already been released. :)

Windows 8 may not have been released to the general public yet but it was made available to Enterprise back in August. Therefore there will be those corporate users that are using Windows 8 or are testing Windows 8, apparently they have to do so with alternate AV protection because they have to wait until 2013? But it's great that home users can already run a supported Kaspersky product with Windows 8 considering it won't be released until the end of the month.

I think someone got their priorities mixed.

Windows 8 may not have been released to the general public yet but it was made available to Enterprise back in August. Therefore there will be those corporate users that are using Windows 8 or are testing Windows 8, apparently they have to do so with alternate AV protection because they have to wait until 2013? But it's great that home users can already run a supported Kaspersky product with Windows 8 considering it won't be released until the end of the month.

I think someone got their priorities mixed.

Windows 8 is officially released to the public in October of this year. Most businesses I know of will wait to adopt the new program until they can get a sufficient number of licenses to install, rather than replacing all of their workstations with Windows 8 installed laptops. Not to mention, there is, or should always be, a testing period before deploying a new OS business wide. Kaspersky wants to have some time with their product in the new environment for that testing period before making a release. At least that's what I'm understanding here.

Not to mention, there is, or should always be, a testing period before deploying a new OS business wide.

And shouldn't those testing W8 at the Enterprise also run anti virus?

And shouldn't those testing W8 at the Enterprise also run anti virus?

I completely agree. That is the point of a test environment to test with the av on the machine also. I asked about server 2012 also if they had a timeframe at all and all I got was sarcastic remarks telling me to wait. We have been testing server 2012 without av. We will definately be dumping Kaspersky after this license runs out. Way too many bugs in it and you can't get any kind of legitimate answer from support.

I completely agree. That is the point of a test environment to test with the av on the machine also. I asked about server 2012 also if they had a timeframe at all and all I got was sarcastic remarks telling me to wait. We have been testing server 2012 without av. We will definately be dumping Kaspersky after this license runs out. Way too many bugs in it and you can't get any kind of legitimate answer from support.

Same here, been testing Windows 8 for over a month, just bought a few hundred Windows 8 licenses and no anti-virus to use on them from Kaspersky. Kaspersky has been nothing but a huge disappointment ever since KES 8 came out and lets add some more to it now. I'd have to say I'm not sure which is worse KES 8 or support for all of the bugs. The kind of support I have gotten with the 5 open cases right now I would have expected to recieve with a retail product, not a business product. I still have a case open with them that were opened LAST YEAR!

We're right there with you Tina, I've already been looking at other vendors and getting quotes and setting up test environments to replace Kaspersky.

If u used Kaspersky products before u could see that new versions for new operating system are available when new os is released in public.Who ever offer antivirus solution before public release of new Microsoft OS is crazy to do that because it is sterile environmet and if you buy that solution and use it in your production environment...well,you should look for a new job!!!There were a problems with kc9 and kes 8in the beggining but now it is a great product that i would reccomend it to anyone.As for the new version,that is a big problem now and that is the reason why i wrote all this.New versions sucks,not tested well and that is the reason why you should wait.Kaspersky is a great name but since managers took over it is getting worse.I would suggest you to wait and to notify Kaspersky company about their work and we can all hope they will not become Symantec or Mcafee because if they continue like this...i 3-5 years they will be just another company and brand but nothing else.

If u used Kaspersky products before u could see that new versions for new operating system are available when new os is released in public.Who ever offer antivirus solution before public release of new Microsoft OS is crazy to do that because it is sterile environmet and if you buy that solution and use it in your production environment...well,you should look for a new job!!!There were a problems with kc9 and kes 8in the beggining but now it is a great product that i would reccomend it to anyone.As for the new version,that is a big problem now and that is the reason why i wrote all this.New versions sucks,not tested well and that is the reason why you should wait.Kaspersky is a great name but since managers took over it is getting worse.I would suggest you to wait and to notify Kaspersky company about their work and we can all hope they will not become Symantec or Mcafee because if they continue like this...i 3-5 years they will be just another company and brand but nothing else.

I'm completely agree with you. Nothing more to say. New versions = more problems, more bugs and incompatibility. Before the things was different in Kaspersky and they released only stable and bug free products.

I'm completely agree with you. Nothing more to say. New versions = more problems, more bugs and incompatibility. Before the things was different in Kaspersky and they released only stable and bug free products.

Corporate products that are compatible with Windows 8 (32 and 64 bit editions): http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/corporate-user/windows-8/. Only two!!!

Home products that are compatible with Windows 8 (32 and 64 bit editions): http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/. 42!!!

But i don´t find any information in the system requirements regarding Windows 8 or 2012 on both websites.

Click visit product page. For Commtouch download PDF file on the web page.

Yes I agree new versions = more problems. However with the server 2012 issue it comes down to virualization. This is a microsoft thing if I run server 2008 it costs a fortune if I purchase data center and run server 2012 I can have as many VM servers as I want. So the cost is the difference herre so yes I went with server 2012 and so far aside from the actual cosmetic changes and finding things it works great. I just can't put any AV on it at this time with kaspersky. I do have another product on it right now that works fine. It the same with Kaspersky when they released it, it was and still is horrible more bugs than fixes. So wanting a version to run in a test environment doesn't seem like a tall order. We do have a 2012 DC server live and the rest are test servers but it works great I must say so far but like I said it would be great to run full tests with AV and other software we have.

What the hell are you talking about, both 2008 and 2012 have a Datacenter Edition, and they both work the same way (unlimited VM).

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.