Naaz

kaspersky internet security 2013 startup very slow

58 posts in this topic

If you are basing this on when the Kaspersky icon appears in the taskbar, that is not an indication of when protection starts. It actually starts very early in the boot process; long before you see the icon.

I looked at the Task Scheduler, just after computer boot and login.

I see avp tasks starting long after boot (several minutes).

Which one is important for security ?

Thanks.

(I have KIS2013 13.0.1.4190b on Vista 64bit)

Thanks for your answer.

By design, no cause to be concerned.

Do you know why they changed that ?

It was very fast on KIS2011.

Unfortunately you're wrong. I made a post about this in another topic, but that post was removed.

I proved that until the Kaspersky icon doesn't appears in the taskbar you're completely exposed. :(

It would be great if it would work like you said, but it doesn't work that way.

And on a slow PC when protection starts after 2 minutes, you have a chance for infection.

This issue should be fixed for better protection.

I checked it myself, and found it true. Anyone can test this with an EICAR test file. (Its just a string you can copy to a text file and when you open it, an anti-virus program installed should detect it).

I was able to open this test file several times without any countermeasures from KAV 2013. After it started up, I wasnt. This proves it.

I was also confused by this. If Kaspersky protection starts during boot and is active before the desktop appears, why does it not protect me from downloading or running the eicar test file?

It also does not block programs from accesing update servers when I have blocked them until the K appears in the system tray. Safemoney and the url advisor also do not function until the K appears in the system tay.

I am using a fairly powerful computer with an SSD drive so everything starts up very fast and I can run any program as soon as the desktop appears but I have to wait 15-30seconds for the K to appear in the system tray. Takes much longer on my netbook.

Would be good to know if this is normal and why it works like this.

I was also confused by this. If Kaspersky protection starts during boot and is active before the desktop appears, why does it not protect me from downloading or running the eicar test file?

It also does not block programs from accesing update servers when I have blocked them until the K appears in the system tray. Safemoney and the url advisor also do not function until the K appears in the system tay.

I am using a fairly powerful computer with an SSD drive so everything starts up very fast and I can run any program as soon as the desktop appears but I have to wait 15-30seconds for the K to appear in the system tray. Takes much longer on my netbook.

Would be good to know if this is normal and why it works like this.

this is serious then i thought. i will return to 2012 i guess

this is serious then i thought. i will return to 2012 i guess

I'm not sure it is just a 2013 problem, I noticed it when I had the trial of 2012 last year but I ended up getting AVG IS for free so didn't think about it again. Moved to Kaspersky this year because it is better in pretty much every way, except this issue.

I'm not sure it is just a 2013 problem, I noticed it when I had the trial of 2012 last year but I ended up getting AVG IS for free so didn't think about it again. Moved to Kaspersky this year because it is better in pretty much every way, except this issue.

i tested on 2012 and it doesnt have this issues at least with my same test method i applied 2012 and 2013.

downloading a virus is not that important for me i can wait until kis fully activated it self and then browse internet but can not blocking applications network access is totally a non acceptable situation for me.

i tested on 2012 and it doesnt have this issues at least with my same test method i applied 2012 and 2013.

downloading a virus is not that important for me i can wait until kis fully activated it self and then browse internet but can not blocking applications network access is totally a non acceptable situation for me.

Well do some tests yourself on blocking applications before the K appears in system tray and see what happens, it might be alright for you. I'm only basing this on what I have experienced.

Maybe a moderator/expert can tell us more about the issue and what it does/doesn't affect?

I'm currently just not connecting to my network before the K appears but it would be nice if it started protecting fully before all my other programs started doing things.

Well do some tests yourself on blocking applications before the K appears in system tray and see what happens, it might be alright for you. I'm only basing this on what I have experienced.

Maybe a moderator/expert can tell us more about the issue and what it does/doesn't affect?

I'm currently just not connecting to my network before the K appears but it would be nice if it started protecting fully before all my other programs started doing things.

i worte a small c# application which only opens a tcp connection to www.google.com at port 80 that runs on startup. i blocked tihs app with kis. in 2013 its connection is successful but in 2012 it is blocked. this is my test method.

i am on 2012 and it seems ok but your way is more reliable of course :)

Most of the time the "K" icon appears 5 minutes after boot and login, but sometimes it just doesn't show up at all.

So this morning I tried this :

Boot the computer, and login.

This time, the "K" doesn't appear at all, even after 20 minutes.

Open IE9, go to the EICAR test url :

http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

Click on one of the eicar tests and try to save it on local disk.

An IE message tels me a problem occured, the file can't be written to disk.

I think Kaspersky did its job, and forbid EICAR file to be written, but I got no Kaspersky notification.

Second test :

This time I didn't wait the usual 5 minutes, I immediately opened IE9, and went to the EICAR test url :

The "K" icon appeared immediately, and a Kaspersky message appeared, saying it found and deleted EICAR.

Conclusion :

In my case, EICAR is detected and deleted even without the "K" icon visible.

I don't know if the firewall also works that way.

Edited by palotim

I can't be certain but that sounds like more of a problem than what I'm experiencing.

The K icon always shows up when I boot, it just takes a while and before that I don't seem to have any protection.

In your first test I don't think it was Kaspersky blocking the Eicar test, browsers seem to have some protection built in. Chrome sometimes blocks it too before Kaspersky starts.

Your second test makes the problem more confusing though, if some people have protection running before the K appears and some after.

You should have a search on the forum to read about other people not having the K appear because it really should even if it takes time.

Palotim, in my humble opinion something is not right on your PC.

If sometimes the K icon doesn't show up at all, it's indicating some problem.

Of course it can happen that only the K icon is missing and you have protection,

because the process is running in the background.

But in this case you can't do really reliable tests about this problem.

I think you should fix first this issue and then do some reliable tests.

Anyway I have done a lot of tests on fresh systems and it's crystal clear for me

that you don't have any protection until the K icon appears. :(

You can read my posts in another thread here.

But maybe it's a better idea to write your comments here.

Most of the time the "K" icon appears 5 minutes after boot and login, but sometimes it just doesn't show up at all.

So this morning I tried this :

This time, the "K" doesn't appear at all, even after 20 minutes.

Open IE9, go to the EICAR test url :

An IE message tels me a problem occured, the file can't be written to disk.

I think Kaspersky did its job, and forbid EICAR file to be written, but I got no Kaspersky notification.

Second test :

This time I didn't wait the usual 5 minutes, I immediately opened IE9, and went to the EICAR test url :

The "K" icon appeared immediately, and a Kaspersky message appeared, saying it found and deleted EICAR.

Conclusion :

In my case, EICAR is detected and deleted even without the "K" icon visible.

I don't know if the firewall also works that way.

I have tested again, and discovered something:

Before the "K" appears, I thought the EICAR file was deleted by Kaspersky.

In fact it's the IE9 SmartScreen that protects me.

After the "K" appears, the same EICAR file is deleted bu Kaspersky.

It is confirmed by the pop-up messages I see, and by Kaspersky's logs.

So, I think it's obvious, Kaspersky doesn't protect my computer before the "K" icon appears.

That's what I thought would be happening, Chrome does the same.

You should really look into why your K sometimes doesn't appear at all though.

That's what I thought would be happening, Chrome does the same.

You should really look into why your K sometimes doesn't appear at all though.

You were right, indeed.

I have sent a request to Kaspersky's Support, I will let you know what they answer.

You were right, indeed.

I have sent a request to Kaspersky's Support, I will let you know what they answer.

lol i am trying to get answer from them for 3 days but no response from them. they are in the mood that pretending that here is no problem will solve everything.

but their time is nearly up i i cant get an answer i will bring this problem to public. everybody has right to know kaspersky is not protecting their computer.

Edited by kromosto