yohanrw

what is kaspersky content blocker/dangerous website blocker

20 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I just downloaded KIS 2013 and installed it, and opened firefox, the latest version. Firefox asked me whether it will iinstalll the addons. I saw a new addon, "Content Blocker". What is "Content Blocker" ? .

Edited by Whizard

Firefox does no offer an addon named "Content Blocker"

Edited by Berny

Berny, it is new. :) It appeared in the last few builds of beta testing version 2013.

From MP1 release notes:

A module for blocking dangerous websites has been added to Web Anti-Virus, which replaces an already loaded suspicious or phishing website with a page showing a danger warning in case the page's status is defined after it is loaded.

I have seen website blocked messages like that in previous versions. this content blocker must be a new improved version of the same then which filters more mixed code content.

@rudger : I missed this one but it's indeed listed :-)

post-64756-1346053489_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for the valueble replies :). I am glad to know that addon is 100% belongs to KIS. However, berny gave me an SHOCK with his first comment :D

I have KIS 2013, and I would like to update to the latest version of Firefox (16.0.1), but when I tried to update I was told that the following Kaspersky-related add-ons are not compatible and would be disabled: URL advisor, virtual keyboard, safe money and content blocker. I know what the first three add-ons are for, and I am willing to do without them until there is a fix that will allow me to use them with Firefox (for instance, if I plan on doing any banking, for the meantime I could just use Google Chrome instead of Firefox), but I don't know what the content blocker does, so I can't make a decision about how vital it is. Can anybody clue me in? Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Edit: Merged.

Edited by richbuff

Thanks for the response. If I read correctly, it is basically anti-phishing protection. Hmm. The two big reasons I got KIS (it was offered at a discount when I bought my new PC) was for the firewall and anti-virus scanning, and it looks like neither of those will be affected, so I may go ahead and update Firefox and just hope that there is an update to KIS soon that will make these add-ons compatible.

Thanks for the response. If I read correctly, it is basically anti-phishing protection. Hmm. The two big reasons I got KIS (it was offered at a discount when I bought my new PC) was for the firewall and anti-virus scanning, and it looks like neither of those will be affected, so I may go ahead and update Firefox and just hope that there is an update to KIS soon that will make these add-ons compatible.

No, this is just a small addon that retroactively checks already loaded pages against any new info the cloud protection may send to KIS.

Main phishing protection is functioning without said addon.

Try accessing http://www.kaspersky.com/test/aphish_h test URL (I believe it's the correct one, I don't have KIS installed to check) with the addon disabled and it will be blocked as a phishing website.

No, this is just a small addon that retroactively checks already loaded pages against any new info the cloud protection may send to KIS.

Main phishing protection is functioning without said addon.

Try accessing http://www.kaspersky.com/test/aphish_h test URL (I believe it's the correct one, I don't have KIS installed to check) with the addon disabled and it will be blocked as a phishing website.

Thanks. Yes, the phishing protection still worked with content blocker disabled.

What does the content blocker do? Have never seen this before and not sure if it should be enabled or disabled. Any help greatly appreciated.

edit: merged.

Edited by richbuff

blocks malicious content in the browser to prevent your pc from becoming infested with such nasties

Edited by antikythera

I know this is an old topic but my firefox was just updated to the latest version and it told me that contect blocker was incompatibel with this version of FF.

post-47457-1387602710_thumb.png

He sees something.... it is important, but off in the hazy distance... A house -- with a picket fence.... no... that's not it..... and a barn -- with a weather vane... no... that's not it.... it's - it's - a crowing rooster.... no.... a woman -- she's.... wearing a polka-dot dress.... no, that's not it... ..her face is careworn. her name is Emily. Someone has hurt her -- someone has just about broken her heart. It's someone she loves very much. Someone she's been very kind to. she's putting her hand on her heart -- she's-- she's dropping down on the.... No, no no, that's not it.....

What Kaspersky product and Version? Yes! That's it!

Name of Kaspersky product and version? And what version of Firefox?

---------------

Nobody can guess your Kaspersky product and version. Not no body, not no how.

post-47457-1387602710_thumb.png

He sees something.... it is important, but off in the hazy distance... A house -- with a picket fence.... no... that's not it..... and a barn -- with a weather vane... no... that's not it.... it's - it's - a crowing rooster.... no.... a woman -- she's.... wearing a polka-dot dress.... no, that's not it... ..her face is careworn. her name is Emily. Someone has hurt her -- someone has just about broken her heart. It's someone she loves very much. Someone she's been very kind to. she's putting her hand on her heart -- she's-- she's dropping down on the.... No, no no, that's not it.....

What Kaspersky product and Version? Yes! That's it!

Name of Kaspersky product and version? And what version of Firefox?

---------------

Nobody can guess your Kaspersky product and version. Not no body, not no how.

Not that I think it matters cause I think it goes for everyone no matter what kaspersky version you have. The latest Firefox available is v 26.0 - I have KIS 2013 13.0.1.4190 (j)

:)

Edited by Sall

Not that I think it matters cause I think it goes for everyone no matter what kaspersky version you have.
Error.

Please clean install version 2014. Clean install instructions, links and tips are located in the second and fourth Important topics. After you clean install version 2014, do a databases update > reboot.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Error.

Please clean install version 2014. Clean install instructions, links and tips are located in the second and fourth Important topics. After you clean install version 2014, do a databases update > reboot.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Sorry Richbuff but there is a reason why I still have 2013, I heard about to many problems with v 2014, so unless you can assure me that all bugs ect. are fixed for 2014 I aint gonna put my hands on it.

Edited by richbuff
I can't, and nobody can, therefore, topic is closed. :)