Sign in to follow this  

Remove ask tool bar it's an incompatible software

The proper way to uninstall Start Menu/ control panel/ programs and feutures or remove programs/ searsh the ask tool bar make a right click and uninstall

Remove ask tool bar it's an incompatible software

The proper way to uninstall Start Menu/ control panel/ programs and feutures or remove programs/ searsh the ask tool bar make a right click and uninstall

Thanks - did that and made no difference

Generic Recomendations

1) Update your BIOS to A14 (T3400A14.exe)

2) Run the Intel INF updater and load all the drivers it finds (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect)

3) Your system only has ~3GB of RAM which by todays standards is not a lot therefore your are swapping to hard disk like crazy:

-- Total physical memory 3143.29 Mb

-- Total virtual memory 6284.82 Mb

-- Available physical memory 929.37 Mb

-- Available virtual memory 3574.14 Mb

You need to configure your paging file to be Managed by Windows and set it to the parition with the most free space, which is ( C ) in your case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482

Generic Recomendations

1) Update your BIOS to A14 (T3400A14.exe)

2) Run the Intel INF updater and load all the drivers it finds (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect)

3) Your system only has ~3GB of RAM which by todays standards is not a lot therefore your are swapping to hard disk like crazy:

-- Total physical memory 3143.29 Mb

-- Total virtual memory 6284.82 Mb

-- Available physical memory 929.37 Mb

-- Available virtual memory 3574.14 Mb

You need to configure your paging file to be Managed by Windows and set it to the parition with the most free space, which is ( C ) in your case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482

I'm sorry but how does doing any of this explain why Kaspersky is using over 250MB of RAM?

I'm sorry but how does doing any of this explain why Kaspersky is using over 250MB of RAM?

It doesn't, but 250MB of what.....memory or virtual memory? The latter is not an issue.

Setting the virtual memory to fixed size....in your case around 4715mb.....will be better so you avoid the heavy fragmentation system managed VM will result in.

An interesting experiment could be to resize the virtual memory and install Perfectdisk, then uninstall KIS, reboot let Perfectdisk do a boot time defrag which will defrag the virtual mem, followed by a normal defrag or two via Perfectdisk. You can always uninstall the trial afterwards. I'm not suggesting it will then use less memory, but if you have been swamping when running out of ram this might help with performance.

Reinstall KIS again, update it and next gointo settings for the "file av settings" section and select the "additional" tab, and change from the "smart mode" scan mode to the "on access and modification" scan mode. Now select the scan setting and uncheck "Perform idle scan" & "regular rootkit scan" Click apply....reboot and see what happens.

It doesn't, but 250MB of what.....memory or virtual memory? The latter is not an issue.

Setting the virtual memory to fixed size....in your case around 4715mb.....will be better so you avoid the heavy fragmentation system managed VM will result in.

An interesting experiment could be to resize the virtual memory and install Perfectdisk, then uninstall KIS, reboot let Perfectdisk do a boot time defrag which will defrag the virtual mem, followed by a normal defrag or two via Perfectdisk. You can always uninstall the trial afterwards. I'm not suggesting it will then use less memory, but if you have been swamping when running out of ram this might help with performance.

Reinstall KIS again, update it and next gointo settings for the "file av settings" section and select the "additional" tab, and change from the "smart mode" scan mode to the "on access and modification" scan mode. Now select the scan setting and uncheck "Perform idle scan" & "regular rootkit scan" Click apply....reboot and see what happens.

From what I can see it's physical memory according to the Resource Monitor - at last twice as much as any other program ever. Are you telling me this is normal? It's now up to 320MB of Physical Memory.

adding more RAM is pointless anyhow since you are running 32-bit windows and not 64-bit. to benefit you would need to install a 64-bit OS. you have enough RAM available. what is happening with regards Kaspersky memory usage is it is loading everything into cache so it can scan and run processes much quicker freeing up the CPU for other tasks and reducing response times for other applications. If however you notice significant slowdowns while running other applications, open advanced settings in Kaspersky and then open compatibility. Tick the option to concede resources to other applications and it will help with that. Additionally, any full screen applications including video in browsers can be aided by gaming profile since it just detects full screen not specifically games.

the driver updates may help with performance bottlenecks but using reference Intel drivers may lead to stability problems so always check with Dell for driver updates before applying anything from the Intel site.

Edited by antikythera

Did you ever clear your temp files and reinstall Kaspersky?

Yes - I cleared temp files but did not yet reinstall.

I changed the virtual memory as per the suggestion above and this is helping a lot. Applications are opening a lot faster.

I will reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks for you help.

adding more RAM is pointless anyhow since you are running 32-bit windows and not 64-bit. to benefit you would need to install a 64-bit OS. you have enough RAM available. what is happening with regards Kaspersky memory usage is it is loading everything into cache so it can scan and run processes much quicker freeing up the CPU for other tasks and reducing response times for other applications. If however you notice significant slowdowns while running other applications, open advanced settings in Kaspersky and then open compatibility. Tick the option to concede resources to other applications and it will help with that. Additionally, any full screen applications including video in browsers can be aided by gaming profile since it just detects full screen not specifically games.

the driver updates may help with performance bottlenecks but using reference Intel drivers may lead to stability problems so always check with Dell for driver updates before applying anything from the Intel site.

thanks - this was really helpful.

Working my way through the various suggestions.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.