juliocarvalho

Kaspersky, DLP and future

13 posts in this topic

Dear,

I have searched a lot about security solutions for the company where I work. I'm currently in final testing and only two remained: Kaspersky and Sophos.

Kaspersky wins most of the features: web control, performance, easy installation on the clients, identifies application vulnerabilities outdated, good management console, etc.. But still missing the DLP.

You are developing to integrate DLP / add the endpoint? Do you have any estimate of when it is ready?

What do you mean by DLP ?

DLP meaning "Data Loss Prevention". The EndPoint of Sophos has this feature. I'm wondering if the Kasper has plans to develop this functionality in your EndPoint. I hope so, because Kasper wins the most common features, but this DLP functionality in Sophos I tested and it is fantastic. You can audit or block events such as: attempted upload of confidential documents, sent attachment, etc.

Ah, you probably mean attaching DRM to documents - kinda like Microsoft AD RMS ?

Hello,

DRM (digital rights management) is another history and its goal is to avoid unauthorized copies or utilization of software.

DLP simply (actually it's not so simple!) tags sensitive data and avoids these data/assets leave the company's network. DLP can be applied at a gateway or endpoint level.

Hope this helps.

M

This is nice feature but i think it has no place in antivirus software.

Its more important to have good antivirus protection than DLP because DLP can be handled thrue group policies (not all options but u can secure your network and data).

I didnt hear that Kaspersky works on this solution.

Edited by zeljko.n

Hello,

DRM (digital rights management) is another history and its goal is to avoid unauthorized copies or utilization of software.

DLP simply (actually it's not so simple!) tags sensitive data and avoids these data/assets leave the company's network. DLP can be applied at a gateway or endpoint level.

Hope this helps.

M

Hmm, nothing prevents you from applying DRM to something else than software (it's already the case for CD by example), like documents.

Hello Testeur09,

you're right, in fact i spoke about 'software' not 'application'....'software' (or, at least, what it stands for me) includes applications, related data, documents and so forth.

The fact is that DLP (Data Loss Prevention) has been implemented to prevent companies' sensitive data leakage while DRM prevents, generally, from unauthorized and illicit utilisation of software (my concept of software! :))

Anyway, despite to these philosophy pills ( :D ), i heard about a future encryption feature but nothing about DLP...even if it's only a matter of time....and money as well!

@zeljco.n - i'm totally with you but, technically, even KAV for Workstation 6 wasn't ('isn't' as MP4 is still supported) a pure antivirus solution...in fact it was/is an evolution of KIS! Today we're talking about 'endpoint security' therefore i guess it's quite obsolete to talk about 'antivirus'....KES is much more...with pros and cons! ;)

Bye

M

:bt:

In official meetings made here in my country, someone asked the same:

You are developing to integrate DLP / add the endpoint?

Answer: Yes, that feature is still evaluated and also added to roadmap.

Do you have any estimate of when it is ready?

Answer: Sure, when it's ready :)

@Mastropizza, Testeur09 & zeljko.n: Thanks for your interesting comments :)

:bs:

Edited by victorm

@victorm

thanks ^^

@zeljko.n - "This feature is nice but i think it has no place in antivirus software."

In fact, the corporate antivirus now no longer just an antivirus solution, and became a security solution for business. All are changing for that. "EndPoint"

@mastropizza - "DLP Can Be Applied at the gateway or endpoint level."

It's true. But applying in the endpoint is a further security, and prevents leaks such as a malicious user to use any open port to acess a proxy, for example.

Edited by Júlio Carvalho

@victorm

thanks ^^

@zeljko.n - "This feature is nice but i think it has no place in antivirus software."

In fact, the corporate antivirus now no longer just an antivirus solution, and became a security solution for business. All are changing for that. "EndPoint"

@mastropizza - "DLP Can Be Applied at the gateway or endpoint level."

It's true. But applying in the endpoint is a further security, and prevents leaks such as a malicious user to use any open port to acess a proxy, for example.

Certainly true but i've never ever said that gw level protection is enough or, worst case, endpoint DLP solutions are useless!! ;)

M

It is nice to hear that there will be a new features in upcoming versions:))) This is how conversation should look like on forum :)

Certainly true but i've never ever said that gw level protection is enough or, worst case, endpoint DLP solutions are useless!! ;)

Yes ... You explained very well. I just wanted to exemplify the importance of the DLP in Endpoint. =]

It is nice to hear that there will be a new features in upcoming versions:))) This is how conversation should look like on forum :)

It would be a good official announcement here on the forum about this subject. I searched and not found. Do not know if I did right, but I tried. =]