gsutherland

KES8 - Major overhaul timeline?

As with most, I've experimented with KES8 over the past few months, and have been met with nothing but constant problems that cause massive issues with clients. Currently I'm sticking to KAV 6 MP4

Examples (all on XP 32-bit machines)

10+ Minute boot up time.

Constant Clipboard failure, freezing when copying or pasting.

explorer.exe crashing.

Constant TCP/IP Max incoming limit reached messages in the system log.

Overall system slowdown.

Internet Explorer crashing randomly after2-3 minutes usage.

Dialog boxes (ex - print dialogs in MS Word) crashing programs.

All of the above have been confirmed on multiple PCs as coming up only when KES8 was installed, and remedied when KES8 was uninstalled. No viruses/malware were present on any of the machines.

I'd like to know:

1 - Are there plans or a timeline for a major revision of KES8 to address the major issues caused by this product

2 - What is the timeline for discontinuing support of KAV 6?

As with most, I've experimented with KES8 over the past few months, and have been met with nothing but constant problems that cause massive issues with clients. Currently I'm sticking to KAV 6 MP4

Examples (all on XP 32-bit machines)

10+ Minute boot up time.

Constant Clipboard failure, freezing when copying or pasting.

explorer.exe crashing.

Constant TCP/IP Max incoming limit reached messages in the system log.

Overall system slowdown.

Internet Explorer crashing randomly after2-3 minutes usage.

Dialog boxes (ex - print dialogs in MS Word) crashing programs.

All of the above have been confirmed on multiple PCs as coming up only when KES8 was installed, and remedied when KES8 was uninstalled. No viruses/malware were present on any of the machines.

I'd like to know:

1 - Are there plans or a timeline for a major revision of KES8 to address the major issues caused by this product

Are these HP workstations?

I'd like to know:

x2

I have HP machines and are experincing some of the same issues. Is there something with HP machines? Thanks

I have HP machines and are experincing some of the same issues. Is there something with HP machines? Thanks

Are they XP or Win7. We have Win7 HP machines and while they are slower I haven't seen major issues thus far. However, KES8 hasn't been approved for production stations yet.

Are they XP or Win7. We have Win7 HP machines and while they are slower I haven't seen major issues thus far. However, KES8 hasn't been approved for production stations yet.

I have hundreds of them and yes they are windows xp. Some report like this below if they have a "mirrored SATA drives"

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=234897

It generates millions errors in logs files each day...

The other gripe is the new client does not allow to pause protection when a admin policy is applied. (go figure the end user can disable the AV but you CAN put a password to lock it down) they took that one away!

About 30% are HP Pro or Elite desktops, yes. We've actually had more problems on Lenovo laptops though it seems.

Current install base is 430 clients. Test group was 30 of them (mixed hardware), all been reverted to KAV 6 now.

@G_North :

Did you try new builds of KES and KSC ?

The problems you describe could result for a lot of differents causes (hardware, drivers, OS, softwares, client/agent policies etc...) so i cannot help you more than that unless you provide more informations.

@G_North :

Did you try new builds of KES and KSC ?

The problems you describe could result for a lot of differents causes (hardware, drivers, OS, softwares, client/agent policies etc...) so i cannot help you more than that unless you provide more informations.

Testing was done with KES 8.1.0.646 and KSC 9.2.69. Hardware was a mix of Dell, HP, Acer and Lenovo desktops and laptops. Policies were stripped down to only File, Mail and Web AV and still caused issues.

Unfortunately the sheer volume and severity of issues we encountered during testing is enough to completely shut down any chance of doing meaningful piecemeal troubleshooting. I have a network to run, and I can't dedicate 40 hours a week to fixing a product that should work in the first place. Unless Kaspersky is willing to pay my consulting rates of course.

It's simply not a finished product that I'm willing to put into production at it's current stage - I shouldn't have to do hours of troubleshooting for each client. It's even more troubling because KAV6 has been 99.9% trouble free for over a year - Did Kaspersky do some poorly advised house-cleaning in their programming department?

Edited by G North

I agree with you than the product isn't on par with the level of quality i expected, and i will also delay customers migration until Steptember.

However having so many important issues isn't normal at all - last build runs OK on most setup. Where those fresh installs of OS and antivirus clients ? Is the hardware powerful enough ? All drivers up-to-date ?

I agree with you than the product isn't on par with the level of quality i expected, and i will also delay customers migration until Steptember.

However having so many important issues isn't normal at all - last build runs OK on most setup. Where those fresh installs of OS and antivirus clients ? Is the hardware powerful enough ? All drivers up-to-date ?

YES YES YES.. I am going to choose NOT to renew next year and move off of Kaspersky. I cannot like most devote 20+ hours a week (like i am now) on an AV product.

For what it's worth, I was feeling the same way with 8.1.0.646. Nothing but problems, and I hadn't deployed it to more than 10 machines.

Since 8.1.0.831 I am cautiously optimistic. None of those problems are popping up with the new version and I'm slowly pushing it out to a few more machines.

For what it's worth, I was feeling the same way with 8.1.0.646. Nothing but problems, and I hadn't deployed it to more than 10 machines.

Since 8.1.0.831 I am cautiously optimistic. None of those problems are popping up with the new version and I'm slowly pushing it out to a few more machines.

I am also having many problems mostly on XP machines. I am on version 8.1.0.846. I just installed it on 130 machines. How hard is it to installed a newer version? We just started using Kas.

Bill

I am also having many problems mostly on XP machines. I am on version 8.1.0.846. I just installed it on 130 machines. How hard is it to installed a newer version? We just started using Kas.

Bill

Assuming the Network Agent is installed properly on all the machines, the jump from .646 to .831 was pretty painless. The biggest hurdle will be either getting 130 people to reboot when asked, or listening to 130 people upset that they were forced to reboot. I was able to just push the .831 out to install over top of .646 and it caused no problems.

Of course, start with maybe 5 machines first. A small policy difference between us could mean what works fine for me causes your systems to be 100x worse than they already are.

YES YES YES.. I am going to choose NOT to renew next year and move off of Kaspersky. I cannot like most devote 20+ hours a week (like i am now) on an AV product.

Well if you choose to blame only the product it's your choice :/

Hello G North,

Could you provide us with the following data collected on a problem PC:

1. In case of BSOD

How to generate a complete memory dump file in Windows Vista / 7

How to generate a complete memory dump in case of a Windows XP crash

2. While reproducing the issue please collect traces described in Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 for Windows trace files

4. GetSystemInfo v4 can be also helpful.

3. As mentioned in your post:

Have you tried installing and monitoring the latest build of KES8? Release notes. Many issues have been fixed in 8.1.0.831.

What is the timeline for discontinuing support of KAV 6?

Here you can find Product Support Lifecycle:

http://support.kaspersky.com/support/support_table#wks

I too can confirm that KES 8.1.0.831 is not ready for production. In our case, systems are slower than in using MP4.

In several test scenarios, KES is installed and with every component disabled, our builds and tests run slower. So not to jump on the band wagon but we've abandoned 8.1.x for now and will either ride out MP4 until either it's time to renew our Kaspersky contract or until a production ready version becomes available. As it was posted earlier, we need a product that runs correctly right out of the gate.

While I agree with an earlier post that many performance related issues can be attributed to policy settings however, we do not have the luxury of being able to provide a dedicated person to troubleshooting this same sort of problem version after version.

Regards,

Bruce

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.