anselhelm

CPU Usage Spiking Very High With KIS 2012 (12.0.0.374)

Dear all,

Since installing KIS 2012, I've noticed that my CPU usage on my system has been going up to 100% frequently on account of KIS doing some kind of background operations.

I have disabled the rootkit and idle scans, plus I have scheduled the updates to be at 0200 every day so that this does not bog the system down, but I still keep finding that KIS is taking priority over other applications a few times a day. Furthermore, KIS will not allow me to reduce the priority on it.

My system is not top of the line, but it's not underpowered either, comprising a Phenom II X4 940 and 8GiB of DDR2 1066. I'm not sure what KIS needs to do that sometimes takes over 50% of the processing power on my system, but it's taken up to 56% once and slowed everything else down as it did so.

Any help that can be given here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Welcome. Please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the fifth (5th) Important topic.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

Make sure Spybots' Teatimer is disabled, then uninstall Spybot > reboot.

Do a checkdisk, check both boxes, instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...disk-for-errors

Revert to the default host file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Any better?

Unfortunately no better.

Kaspersky (via AVP.exe) just decided to spike right now on my system whilst I was gaming, causing the FPS to drop to an unplayable crawl for a few moments. A minute later, it did it again.

AVP.exe seems to be the culprit. Is there a way to force this into a low/idle priority at launch perhaps? This wouldn't solve the issue per se, but would cause the effects to not be noticed.

Have you changed the settings to concede resources in compatibility settings tab?

Have you changed the settings to concede resources in compatibility settings tab?

I've ticked that option now and will see what effect it has.

I have come up with a working theory for what has been causing the CPU spikes: the Mail Anti-Virus.

My reason for thinking this is that I shut down Outlook 2010 earlier today to see if this was causing any problems and haven't seen an AVP.exe-related CPU spike since that time. It would seem to suggest that this is the main culprit.

Should I perhaps lower the heuristic level in the mail settings to light?

Please run the GetSystemInfo utility again, to create a new gsi report, and then please post the link to the new gsi report.

Please run the GetSystemInfo utility again, to create a new gsi report, and then please post the link to the new gsi report.

Isn't there just a way to force AVP.exe and the Kaspersky suite to load up permanently in idle/low priority?

Isn't there just a way to force AVP.exe and the Kaspersky suite to load up permanently in idle/low priority?

The simple answer to that one is pretty much "no", I'm afraid.

Can you re-run the GSI and post the link to the report - this is so that we can see if there are still some underlying issues that are nothing to do with Kaspersky. Also, have you definitely reverted the Hosts file entries to their original settings? There are some, shall we say, dubious Adobe entries in there that may indicate you're using pirated software?

The simple answer to that one is pretty much "no", I'm afraid.

Can you re-run the GSI and post the link to the report - this is so that we can see if there are still some underlying issues that are nothing to do with Kaspersky. Also, have you definitely reverted the Hosts file entries to their original settings? There are some, shall we say, dubious Adobe entries in there that may indicate you're using pirated software?

Not using pirated software, but I strongly dislike products phoning home, especially ones I've paid for. It's the same reason I have disliked Microsoft WGA and all other incarnations since their launch.

The point is, Kaspersky 2012 is causing the issue, as this did not occur with Kaspersky 2009. Nothing else changed on my system except for upgrading the internet suite.

It's making me wish to downgrade it at present. As for my hosts file (located in System 32, Drivers, Etc), it is now back to its blank state of this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost

The point is, the issue is that Kaspersky is experiencing a heavy processor load at times and not conceding resources to other programs in the manner that it should.

The point is, Kaspersky 2012 is causing the issue, as this did not occur with Kaspersky 2009. Nothing else changed on my system except for upgrading the internet suite.

The point is, the issue is that Kaspersky is experiencing a heavy processor load at times and not conceding resources to other programs in the manner that it should.

Hello....Have you tried with "perform regular rootkit scan" unchecked ..also idle scan.

Regarding returning to 2009 version....its not supported or updated anymore.

post-159293-1336395760_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOGS

Hello....Have you tried with "perform regular rootkit scan" unchecked ..also idle scan.

Regarding returning to 2009 version....its not supported or updated anymore.

Thanks for the ideas there!

I saw those and gave them a try but alas I had no luck.

Earlier this afternoon I finally admitted defeat and went back to 2010. (I wrote 2009 as it's version 9.something, so apologies for the error there!)

Working absolutely fine now with no CPU spikes. Something in 2012 just disagrees with my system or is determined to use up CPU cycles for no reason.

Everyone can considered this issue redundant now, as I won't be trying 2012 again. I may try my luck again when 2013 comes out.

Thanks for trying to help all, but unfortunately the program is just being a bugger at a low level and without being able to force the service and the program to always load as low priority, it's just not workable on my setup.

Well, same is the case with me, while gaming, sometimes avp.exe takes high CPU usage, bogging down the FPS, that's with 2012 version only..

I think it's some poor code there conflicting with something, i posted this about 8 months ago, till date no solution to this problem..

Better to downgrade or hope for better in 2013 version, which should be here in a month or two.. :cb_punk:

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.