Vastoking2

Kaspersky Pure Prevents Disk Check?

To those of you who are waiting for a solution, please go back to post #24.

This isn't unique to Kaspersky this is a pretty common problem with most virus scanning suites,,

There is a bit of info on this on MS tech support site..

The solution as stated by someone else in to simply disable kaspersky from running at start up before you do a boot time disk check.

I think disabling self defense can't hurt either and may be necessary

This isn't unique to Kaspersky this is a pretty common problem with most virus scanning suites,,

The solution as stated by someone else in to simply disable kaspersky from running at start up before you do a boot time disk check.

Thank you for you informative post.

(Please don't forged to re-enable self defense and/or re-start Kaspersky when done)

Yes, the problem is not unique to Kaspersky PURE. If you google for “766f6c756d652e63 3f1” (the error number), you will have about 2,500 hits.

Tech Support is aware of this, so am I. Other AVs that have had this problem is Norton Internet Security 2010 and AVG Free version 9 (a newer version fixed the problem). Also other kind of software/hardware may trigger the error, examples are computers with infrared devices equipped, SSD firmware, virtual CD software... MS has a hotfix for Win7 computers (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778/en-us) that sometimes can be used. The problem may also occur on WinXP computers (the error message then reads “Cannot open volume for direct access.”)

Disk maintenance is necessary, the moderators often gives the advice to run chkdsk. I think it is nice to know that the conflict between PURE 2.0/the MS utility is easily resolved the way support advised.

Still I hope future releases of PURE can cooperate with OS utilities without a “work-around”.

Your entry timestamped 4.06.2012 06:09 contains some of the most useful information I have been able

to find about chkdsk error “766f6c756d652e63 3f1”. Do you happen to know exactly how "computers with

infrared devices, SSD f/w, virtual CD software..." trigger the error? What mechanisms are involved?

I get this error on a newer ASUS laptop (AMD), but NOT on an older Dell laptop (Intel), even though

in both cases I run chkdsk from the recovery-mode-command-prompt from a Windows 7 SP1 DVD, in both

cases against NTFS partitions on the same external hard disk. The ASUS laptop has no infrared, so

how could I find out what other hardware in the ASUS might be triggering the “766f6c756d652e63 3f1”?

(Of course I first encountered the problem on a fully-configured Windows 7 system, but resorted to

testing with the Windows 7 SP 1 DVD in order to entirely eliminate all anti-virus software, etc.)

I appreciate that these questions now have nothing directly to do with Kaspersky products, and so I

would be particularly grateful to you for any information you might nonetheless be able to provide.

Kind regards, Bob Hill

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.