TStark

Seeking to renew license for a year but keep KIS 2011

:) Hello, KIS renewal time is coming up again soon, and once again I've got the same question I asked back when my KIS 2009 was expiring. (See thread link below)

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...;#entry1257743)

What I asked then was if I could purchase KIS 2010 and use the activation code to merge licenses in order to keep KIS 2009 but get another year's worth of updates. Lucian Bara was kind enough to tell me that it could indeed be done and how to go about doing it.

Because I was unable to do the same thing the following year with KIS 2011 (because the codes were no longer compatible between KIS 2009 and KIS 2011) I had to buy a new computer to handle the RAM demands of the then-new KIS 2011.

So, my question this year is: Are the activation codes of KIS 2012 and KIS 2011 compatible so that I can purchase KIS 2012 then just use the activation code to merge licenses with KIS 2011. I would like to get another year of updates but not download a new KIS program. I'm very happy with what KIS 2011 gives me and I've heard about problems with KIS 2012 that I don't need to deal with right now.

Thanks in advance for any answers you may provide! :)

Edited by TStark

Thanks, antikythera, that's good to know. :)

Just wondering also, since it doesn't hurt to ask ... because it is just the anti-virus updates that one gets for the year, is it possible to purchase KAV 2012 instead and use the code for that? Or, do I need to buy KIS 2012 in order for the licenses to merge?

Sorry that won't work. Updates are for the entire program, not just antivirus databases even though they are called database updates in the user interface. Additionally the KAV license will not be accepted by KIS as a full KIS license. If you try using a KAV license your installation will be downgraded to KAV only.

Yeah, I didn't think so but I figured it was worth asking anyway.

But I'm still glad I'll be able to continue the updates yet still keep KIS 2011. I assume I'll be able to do it in much the same way as I did with KIS 2009 and 2010--by merging the licenses but just to make sure, is it ...

Fix it now -> License management -> Activate the application with a new license -> Merge licenses -> Activate commercial version/enter activation code -> etc.

In addition to verying the procedure, can anyone tell me if they have kept KIS 2011 but merged licenses with 2012 in order to continue getting updates? Specifically, will the updates continue to apply to and support KIS 2011? I don't want to end up with any problems of getting updates meant for 2012 when I will still have 2011.

Thanks again

Thank you for pointing out the link to the Kaspersky support policy, Marko13, I appreciate it.

I could've done without the eye rolling, though. You are correct that, yes, it is my decision--and the right of all consumers--whether or not to buy into any new product. Believe me, I would have preferred to simply remove 2011 and install 2012 ... until I read about how many critical problems have been associated with it, that is (even ones that went unresolved). I just don't need all that hassle right now, or to be frank, ever.

KIS 2011 was the first time I didn't have any technical issues whatsoever with the program, so naturally I am more than happy with it as is. But the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" never stood a chance where programs are concerned. Kaspersky will make just as much money off of me whether I buy 2012 for installation or for 2011 renewal, but I suppose product development pains are just as much a goal for programming companies (though, ideally, that sort of thing should already be worked out before the program is retailed).

Anyhow, you may think my attitude "paranoid" or "silly"--and that's your prerogative from your perspective--but understand the flipside of it: it's not the consumer's job to have to deal with technical issues, crashes, and blue screens of death on a daily basis. To the moderators, beta-testers, even enthusiasts here, it is what you do and what you expect, so it's "no big deal." Not so, however, for the thousands of consumers who pay for a program to work correctly so they don't have to take time out to keep coming back to forums like this for assistance. More than likely, the people who ask for your help are stressed, even if you're bored with hearing the same questions over and over again. I've always expressed thanks and appreciation for any honest help given to me here, and I've supported Kasperksy for four years now ... I only hope that in return those representing the company in any capacity will show understanding to those who display cautiousness where a thousand dollars worth of personal property is concerned.

That said, most likely I will go out and drop down another $70+ for KIS 2012 if only to use its activation code in an effort to extend the update life of KIS 2011 for another year (and by then hopefully KIS 2013 will have the kinks worked out). And, if I encounter any problems, I'll be forced to come back here expecting answers, as would be my right and, unfortunately, my accompanied misfortune.

Thanks for listening,

TStark

TStark,

Thanks for your last posting. I fully share your opinion. So far, I keep 2/3 of all PCs I "supervise" with KIS 2011 and 1/3 with KIS 2012. At the moment, both versions of KIS have their own advantages (you mentioned some). On all my PCs neither KIS 2011 nor KIS 2012 are showing any real important problems.

So, my question this year is: Are the activation codes of KIS 2012 and KIS 2011 compatible so that I can purchase KIS 2012 then just use the activation code to merge licenses with KIS 2011.

On the German section of this forum is a statement of somebody of the German Kaspersky support organisation stating that KIS 2012 activation keys are only compatible with KIS 2012, while KIS 2012 will work with activation keys of KIS 2010 and 2011 too.

To be safe, you might like to get a second opinion for your case or contact your local Kaspersky support.

I only can confirm that KIS 2012 will operate with activations keys from version 2010 and 2011. So far I have never tried, if an activation key of KIS 2012 will work with KIS 2011.

Best Regards,

Kurt S.

Hi, Kurt, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Yes, it's hard to get a straight answer in regards to using the activation code from KIS 2012 to extend the license of KIS 2011. There's certainly no page on the Kaspersky site that give instructions on how to do so, as much as I think there needs to be one.

Two years ago it was like pulling teeth just to get posters to understand what I was getting at and it wasn't until Lucian Bara came on confirming that it could be done that I got any practical information to act on. I even tried PMing Lucian recently on the subject but I haven't got any word back from him yet. He may not even be on these boards any longer. Still, I was hoping it was a commonly enough asked question by now that someone here would have a firm answer.

Antikythera indicated that KIS 2012 was "backwards compatible" with 2011 products but I'm not sure if he just meant a person can upgrade from 2011 to 2012. Marko13 showed me a Kaspersky web-page that at least mentioned KIS 2011 database updates would be supported until Feb. 25th, 2014. This indicates that license merging must be possible or how else could someone have a 2011 program license and have it last that long? Still, some hard fact confirmation on whether or not the 2012 activation code definitely works in 2011 would be nice. I'd hate to have to purchase KIS 2012 and then not be able to do it.

You say one of your computers has KIS 2012 and you haven't had any important problems. May I ask what minor issues have cropped up and what operating system you have working? My computer is equipped with Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks again,

TStark

All I have found to date in the Kaspersky KB articles is that 2012 codes cannot be used in 2009 or 2010 products which is understandable since they are in a different format now. No mention of 2011 not being compatible in that article and if it wasn't surely it would be. For the definitive answer contacting Technical Support is the best option. Unless the policy has changed it has always been the case that product codes can be used one version back minimum but again if in any doubt check on this too.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208284919

Edited by antikythera

Thanks for the info, antikythera ... After some searching of the website, I found a support phone number to call.

Unfortunately, after being on hold for quite a long time (I really hope it was toll-free, it didn't say), and hearing twenty repeated ads for upgrading to the "latest and greatest version" no one ever answered. Every time the music stopped I'd hear repeated clicking and electronic beep-beep noises, as if someone were checking to see if there was a living, breathing person on the other end on the phone but then I'd be put on hold again. Some of the time I even heard people talking and typing on their keyboards but no one ever said hello, not once.

You know, this kind of "personal and family support" reminds me of the line in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in which Arthur was complaining to the man trying to demolish his house by informing him that the notification of said act was on display in the stairless, light-less cellar of the planning office "at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'"

Oh, well. I thought looking into this a week before expiry time would be sufficient but I've only got today and tomorrow left to me now to decide what to do. But, you know, I have to say that the new NIS 2012 is looking better all the time. Sorry, Eugene ...

http://usa.kaspersky.com/support/home/call-consumer-support

It looks like you wish to activate version 2011 with a new (2012) activation code.

Go ahead and do so. There should be no problem.

TStark,

If antikythera and richbuff are claiming that a KIS 2012 activation code will work with KIS 2011, I am sure it will. I see both as solid experts on this forum and apologise if I caused any confusion with mentioning the statement of the KL support member of the German forum section (I'll contact him to get this mistake corrected).

You say one of your computers has KIS 2012 and you haven't had any important problems. May I ask what minor issues have cropped up and what operating system you have working? My computer is equipped with Windows 7 64-bit.

Minor issues with KIS 2012:

- automatic activation of a spare license (activation key) failed, but should now be fixed with the latest hotfix h available about a week ago

- ICMP spamming (sending every 5 s an ICMP request to the router gateway); might be an issue if you work in a corporate network or connect to the internet via a mobile network service. Unfortunately, this issue won't be fixed before KIS 2013. Workaround open/close the KIS GUI stops the ICMP requests till next Windows logon.

- sporadic interruption of e-mail pull with IMAP accounts in MS Outlook (problem also exists on KIS 2011)

I use KIS 2012 on a couple of PCs with Windows 7 64 bit. Beside above mentioned, none of them show any further issues in relation to KIS 2012. All of these PCs had KIS 2011 before and worked fine. Meanwhile, I definitely prefer KIS 2012 instead of KIS 2011 on any Windows 7 64 bit system.

If you like to migrate your machine to KIS 2012, please consider the recommendation No 2 at the beginning of this board.

By the way, I also tested NIS 2012, but definitely will prefer KIS 2012.

It looks like you wish to activate version 2011 with a new (2012) activation code.

Go ahead and do so. There should be no problem.

Thanks, richbuff ... I'll trust the word of a true legend that the licenses will merge and I can renew 2011 with 2012's activation code.

TStark,

If antikythera and richbuff are claiming that a KIS 2012 activation code will work with KIS 2011, I am sure it will. I see both as solid experts on this forum and apologise if I caused any confusion with mentioning the statement of the KL support member of the German forum section (I'll contact him to get this mistake corrected).

You were nothing but helpful, Kurt, so no apologies necessary. :)

Meanwhile, I'll try renewing 2011 with 2012's code and let you and everyone else here know how it works out in the next day or two. That way everyone will know for sure it works and then it can be given as a definite option for those wishing to renew and stick with 2011 for the time being.

Thanks for detailing your 2012 issues, Kurt. If for some reason the renew thing doesn't end up working, I don't know if I'll stick with KIS or try something else.

Thanks again,

TStark

Just a heads up to let everyone here know that I successfully merged the licenses so my KIS 2011 program is running as usual and now it says I have a year until the updates expire. So, yay! And thanks again to all here who offered their time and assistance to help answer my questions. :)

I also want to add that Kaspersky really needs to do a few things if it wants to keep its customers and thereby stay at the top of its field:

1) It needs to improve their customer support services -- whether in the form of more practical information on their website, a more efficient electronic ticket process, or functional one-one-one phone services. Customer service is the key to business success and in these financially fragile times it's more essential than ever. If consumers feel they have no appreciable support from the manufacturer of the very products they buy then they will simply look elsewhere.

2) It needs to simplify and expand upon its renewal process. Technically speaking, the purchasing of an entirely new program is not simply renewing the services of an existing one, and so referring to it as such should be discontinued. If someone asks "How can I renew my KIS 2011?" or "I would like to keep KIS 2011 but extend my update services for another year," too many times this link is posted as the ultimate response: http://usa.kaspersky.com/renewal/home-user-renewals

All that page does, however, is offer the sale of various 2012 products. It does not address the desired intent of the consumer but instead imposes the company's own interests overtop of it. And it is apparent from the technical issues raised with KIS 2012 in this forum that people are being inconvenienced and suffering from this pressure to conform. (Also, isn't telling people whose KIS 2011 expires in a month or a week to upgrade to KIS 2012 because "it's free" misleading? Won't they just end up with a new program that expires in a month or a week? If I'm wrong on this point, it is only further evidence of how vague, confusing, and "mysterious" Kaspersky makes the entire renewal process.) It should be a simple matter to offer the purchase of extended services and support on any existing program for a period of at least five years without grinding people under those "wheels of progress."

3) Along those lines, Kaspersky feels they must update their program every single year in order to look fresh and innovative to investors, etc. but it is apparent that time frame is too short a window for them to be able to get all the bugs out in beta-testing before their product hits the stores. The bottom line is: customers shouldn't have to pay to be guinea pigs. And the catchphrase "we all need to pitch in to help make our product work right" is a lovely sentiment on the surface but what it is really attempting to do is engender an egalitarian attitude toward capitalism by charging money for a product that the business itself needs the buyer to help finish making. For some reason, this approach doesn't sit well with me. If the product was freeware, I would agree, but it is not. If Toyota sold an automobile that didn't work correctly and accidents resulted, they wouldn't have the right to stand up in a court of law and tell the victims "Well, your misfortune is helping us to make a better car so suck it up."

As a programming-relevant example, a company like Microsoft puts out a new version of Windows every few years and its development history has proven to all that its business desires were actually dragging technological ability behind it, and not the other way around. Windows 98 worked well, but Windows 2000 didn't. Windows XP was fine, but Bill Gates admitted that Windows Vista was pure and utter garbage. Windows 7 got back to basics after consumer backlash forced them to reevaluate its goals. Kaspersky should learn from the mistakes of others even if it can't see the longterm setbacks may well be creating for itself.

Anyway, thanks for listening ... and here's hoping that KIS 2013 will be represent a praiseworthy piece of programming for people to be proud of. :)

Alliteratively yours (for now),

TStark

Hello Tstark

I just wanted to say that most other antivurs companies also release new versions every year, it's not only kaspersky.

About that renewal stuff, and using new licenses with old versions of program, I agree that it could be written more clearly, but on the other hand kaspersky allows you to upgrade to the latest version if you have a valid license (i.e. if you have KIS 2011 license you can upgrade to 2012 or 2013 when it is released) and this is not the case for some other companies. Also renewal licenses are generally cheaper than new ones.

About you policy to support old versions at least for five years, well it's not going to happen. You can't expect a company to support old version forever. Antivirus scene is changing very dinamically, and if you intend to use 5 or more years old version then yes, you won't be fully protected and I don't think you can expect to be with some 5 years old obsolete versions.

Edited by Marko13

Hello Tstark

I just wanted to say that most other antivurs companies also release new versions every year, it's not only kaspersky.

That's very true, and that's part of my point: Just because nearly everyone else is doing it does not make it automatically right or beneficial for the customer.

About you policy to support old versions at least for five years, well it's not going to happen. You can't expect a company to support old version forever. Antivirus scene is changing very dinamically, and if you intend to use 5 or more years old version then yes, you won't be fully protected and I don't think you can expect to be with some 5 years old obsolete versions.

I'll concede that perhaps 5 years might be pushing limits a bit, but as the policy link you posted earlier shows, KIS 2011 updates will be supported until Feb. 2014, which is a full 3 years. I really wished I could have bought that much time with KIS 2011 at the get-go in the retail store; it would have made things much simpler.

And the thing is there isn't much difference between the features of KIS 2011 and KIS 2012 anyway. Between KIS 2009 and KIS 2010, yes: sandbox technology was added and the system was overhauled to handle the then-new Windows 7. Those two things were enough of a change to warrant a new program. But all 2012 seems to have changed since 2011 (from a comparison of the features advertised on the two boxes) is the cautious addition of the "hybrid cloud" to at least get a foot in on the somewhat "controversial" cloud database approach (controversial in that people were worried about personal information leaking back out onto the web). The cloud, pioneered by Panda Security back in 2009 to alleviate CPU drag on computer systems, is growing in popularity but Kaspersky is only touching on it as an addition to an already speedy and functional updating system. And, from what I've read of people's issues with KIS 2012, CPU drag still remains a major issue, "hybrid protection" or not.

Therefore, the most important aspect right now seems to be in the receiving of anti-virus updates, and KIS 2011's program already serves that function nicely. Hurrying to get a new version out for business reasons -- in other words, to keep up with the competition -- may be a good enough reason from a business perspective, but is not necessarily a good enough reason for consumers. My main complaint in this regard is that the choice of upgrade vs. renewal should be presented clearly to the consumer. And the license-extending method that I've done a couple of times now should at least be freely offered as a viable option, here on the board too, especially to those who have already expressed the desire to stay with something tried and true that they like. To me, it's all about the freedom of choice and the availability of options for the consumer.

TStark :)

That's very true, and that's part of my point: Just because nearly everyone else is doing it does not make it automatically right or beneficial for the customer.

I'll concede that perhaps 5 years might be pushing limits a bit, but as the policy link you posted earlier shows, KIS 2011 updates will be supported until Feb. 2014, which is a full 3 years. I really wished I could have bought that much time with KIS 2011 at the get-go in the retail store; it would have made things much simpler.

Just interested, did your update hold fast until 2014?

Going by the lastest info here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/supported_home

You're going to run out next February!

And, by the way, love all your comments, if only Kaspersky development only would read some of these comments it'd make a world of difference.

by the way, the panda "cloud" antivirus scheme was crap, let in a whole lot of viruses on my computer. Hated it.

Also, BTW, at school we have computers but don't have internet (can you believe that?!?)

So I use a really old Avast 4.8.0 which is still current, after 5 YEARS, they even allow manual updates off the internet, Kaspersky.

Plus, it has a continuous teal timescanner, which works. Not bad for free.

So are your update schedules still valid?

Regards,

C.

Database updates supported until: 2014 Feb 25

means the product will continue to receive malware and virus definition database updates only. Not technical support of any kind or patches to the program. So while you can carry on with KIS 2011 until 2014 you would miss out on newer more efficient 2012 (which from my experience is much lighter on resources, faster scanning and packs more punch) and onwards builds.

means the product will continue to receive malware and virus definition database updates only. Not technical support of any kind or patches to the program. So while you can carry on with KIS 2011 until 2014 you would miss out on newer more efficient 2012 (which from my experience is much lighter on resources, faster scanning and packs more punch) and onwards builds.

Ok, great. thanx for that. I have read reviews that the 2012 is quite draining on resources, compared to the 2011 version. Any truth in that?

Ok, great. thanx for that. I have read reviews that the 2012 is quite draining on resources, compared to the 2011 version. Any truth in that?

Not much. The system requirements have not changed. The 2012 build of the program is running better on the systems I have so if it were more of a drain it would surely be the opposite. It depends a lot on how it is installed. If done correctly, then you shouldn't encounter any issues. See here for the recommended approach from which I'm guessing the reviewers may have missed out a few steps to end up with a slower machine:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

After doing the above, download all available updates and restart the PC when they have been applied. It won't prompt you to do so but it is necessary. Then you should be good to go.