Sign in to follow this  
gprince

Some computers reporting with incorrect Device Name (~ followed by string of numbers)

Hello,

We have deployed KSC 9 and KES 8 to approx. 8,000 nodes and have noticed that a small number of systems are reporting in with a Device Name that doesn't match the Device Name in our AD. These systems start with the correct Device Name but it is followed by a ~ character and a seemingly random string of numbers. See below for an example. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to resolve it? It is impacting our reporting and I would like to get it resolved.

Example:

ABCDE-JDOE is the AD Device Name, but it is reporting as ABCDE-JDOE~14430951 in KSC 9

I've seen this too - so far it's been caused by computer accounts that have the same display name but possibly different SID - in one case the normal name was a physical machine, and the name with the string appended to it was the virtualized version that I'd run vmware converter on.

I'd also check your reverse DNS zones for multiple names resolving to the same IP. I've seen this to cause exactly the same problem.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.