JKCSI

DVD/CD drive disappears Windows 7 Pro Endpoint Security 8

Hello,

I spent some time troubleshooting an issue today where Windows 7 Pro computer would "forget" their DVD/CD drive when inserting media. The system would work on the disc for about 30 seconds and then the drive would disappear. It would also disappear out of device manager. Rebooting the computer resolved the issue. Scanning for hardware changes before the reboot did not find the drive. The system log logged an event stating "the driver detected a controller error." I didn't record the event ID, sorry. Anyhow, the fix is to remove Endpoint Security and install the older V6 MP4 product. I wanted to make sure this was somewhere in case anyone else was having the issue.

I did not try to troubleshoot policies or other settings as we've experienced enough issues with Endpoint Security 8 to pull back from using the product until it's out of it's problem phase. If anyone else would like to work on the issue further I can probably gather more information for you.

You might want to try disabling Device Control if you haven't already. Chances are that's causing the issue as either disabling the drive is enabled in your policy, or there's bug in either the client or the controller drivers that doesn't jive.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.