BassConsulting

Installation problems with KAV 4.5

When I try to install KAV 4.50.94 Wks (registered), setup says AVP (it was 3.0.something, trial) has been detected and whether it should be deinstalled. However, I had uninstalled AVP long ago, and thus setup (naturally) can't start the uninstall program! If I ignore the message and install KAV, some options become strangely disabled or even completely hidden, such as "changing update url" in avpupd.exe or no pop up "disinfect?" dialog in scanner, if a virus is found; moreover scanner doesn't even let that "pig squeak" and simply goes on even if there are infected files, which makes on-demand scans pretty useless. This is unacceptable :angry:

As I was hunting down the cause with FileMonitor/RegMonitor from Sysinternals I've seen that the Setup.exe searches for some weird files in the folder from which the setup has been started, such as "...\sounds\Baby sleeps softly.mid", "...\lego.ico", "...\nancy.cid", "...\pac-man.ico", etc.? What on earth are these?

What shall I do?

TIA,

Cüneyt

FYI: On a "clean" machine, where no previous AVP has been installed, this behaviour doesn't occur. And under VMware I can duplicate this behaviour. Before you ask let me answer, no, there are no malware or suspicious programs running in the background, and a new windows-installation is out of the question.

why do you prefer to use kav 4.5? there is a new version 5.0.200 of kav for workstation and you can get it here ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/...winworkstation/

Thanks for the tip :)

I've downloaded it but KAV still complains about an "existing" Antiviral Toolkit Pro :( Where, i.e. which registry keys and/or directories does the installer check?

Hi,

run attachment and after that try to install new version of kav

KAV_Registry_Clean.zip

Edited by srle

Hi,

run attachment and after that try to install new version of kav

Thanks for the quick response. I've actually found the problem with Regmon & the new version 5 saso suggested. It was a zombie in the uninstall list. AVP was uninstalled but had left its "uninstall string" in the registry behind and it was invisible in the "Add/remove programs" list. I've deleted it manually and KAV went on happily. Moral: "Clean/complete uninstallation under Windows" is an oxymoron :D

The problem is, I've done it on a remote machine (via Remote Desktop) and I've rebooted the machine. Now I can't access the machine at all :( So I have to wait until evening till I get there & see what the problem is now.

What does this program do btw?

The problem is, I've done it on a remote machine (via Remote Desktop) and I've rebooted the machine. Now I can't access the machine at all :( So I have to wait until evening till I get there & see what the problem is now.

What does this program do btw?

Hm,

as i know you need to wait a liitle bit so windows bring up remote desktop service,

try now to connect to that server,because if that service is enabled you should connect

each time without problems ;)

And about this progy,it is kav reg cleaner,it removes all kav content from yor pc reg.

so after that you can do a fresh install of kav ;)

Hm,

as i know you need to wait a liitle bit so windows bring up remote desktop service, try now to connect to that server,because if that service is enabled you should connect each time without problems ;)

Actually I've waited about 30 mins, and it's not Terminal Services which is not responding but SSH and some other remote services.

And about this progy,it is kav reg cleaner,it removes all kav content from yor pc reg. so after that you can do a fresh install of kav ;)

Cool. In the meantime, I'm testing under VMware whether an upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0 is also problematic. Maybe I'd have to resort back to your proggie.

Greets,

Cüneyt

My advice for you is to upgrade to 5.0 there is a lot of resaons do to so.

Yea,be free do downlod and to use this app.

My advice for you is to upgrade to 5.0 there is a lot of resaons do to so.

Yea,be free do downlod and to use this app.

I've just installed 5.0 over 4.5 under VMware, WinXP; 5.0 says it can uninstall 4.5 first, and did it, and on next reboot, I saw my headache for the next couple of hours (at least on the computer which I can't access remotely anymore):

lsass.exe & services.exe have problems with msvcrt.dll :angry: :angry:

I have downloaded this .exe:

ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/...wks_full_en.exe

hoping that it would work for both 9x- & NT-based systems, even if wouldn't, IMO setup should warn about incompatibilities. And now the setup corrupted the dll. :angry: Now I know why I can't access the remote machine!

The worse thing is, I can't log on even if I choose safe mode :angry: and we'd disabled WinXP's system restore points (though noone can blame us for this because KAV should not rely on WinXPs capabilities to clean its own dirt). :angry:

Luckily I've tested it under VMware before I deployed it on other machines, but there's still the dead one :angry:

Maybe I should call the hotline..

post-2529-1120820846.png

I've just installed 5.0 over 4.5 under VMware, WinXP; 5.0 says it can uninstall 4.5 first, and did it, and on next reboot, I saw my headache for the next couple of hours (at least on the computer which I can't access remotely anymore):

lsass.exe & services.exe have problems with msvcrt.dll  :angry:  :angry:

OK, I've solved the problem for one machine. I've rebooted the VMware with a rescue CD, replaced msvcrt.dll of KAV (version 6.0.8797.0), with the one delivered with XP SP1 (version 7.0.2600.1106). Then I could log on, but KAV wouldn't start, so I've moved the v6 dll into KAV folder and it uses the local one before the one in system32. That solves the problem for now.

Now, I'm left with lots of questions:

- Why on earth need KAV to copy an own version of an already existing DLL?

- Why does KAV replace a newer DLL with an older without any question?

- What the heck are those funny-named files, KAV4.5 were looking for?

This is getting messier.