Each morning when I turn on the computer, the first thing I do is a manual update of the Kaspersky virus signature files. This pops the Kaspersky Update Center which, among other things, shows the number of signatures. This number usually increases, which is logical - new malware is being written all the time.

The past few days, the update files have been large, from 600k to over 1 Meg, and the number of signature has decreased from over 6,100,000 signatures to now just under 6,000,000 signatures.

Is this normal or do I have a problem? I would expect the number of malware programs and signatures to increase not decrease over time.

I am running Kaspersky AV 11.0.2.556 (yes, I know 12 is out. I am waitng for the next big fix, probably in November/December, then I will upgrade) Unless I missed an anoucement, the current signature files should work with 11.0.2.556.

This is normal. This is Signature Optimization, as has been asked/discussed on this forum 510 204.08 times in the past. Please see: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279979

Combining signatures to have less signatures with the same efficacy is similar to combining topics in the forum, to have less topics, with the same efficacy. :)

Hi. I have the same problem with number of signature decreasing for mor than 10 days. Is there any solution for this?

Hi. I have the problem with updating KIS 2011. The number of signature after update is decreasing for mor than 15 days. Is there any solution for this?

After update number of signature decreased for almost 300000. What happened? Invalid updates or something else? Please help me.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.