I have been using a number of KIS versions over the years with Windows XP SP3. I have always been able to use the Windows XP defragmentation facility but having recently installed KIS 2012 and I find that the the defragmentation programme reports that it cannot defrag some files. The report shows they are all associated with the Kaspersky programme.

Please can Forum Readers advise how I can make the necessary adjustments to ensure KIS does not interfere with the defragmenation process?

Thank you

David

Hello,

Some defrag tools are providing an option in which you can exclude specific folders ..

Thank you for the link. I have followed the instructions and the outcome is that a number of the files which could not be defragmented has reduced but the following still remain according to the report I have just saved

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented

3 1 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Bases\klava\strg3104

5 4 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Bases\klava\strg3115

5 5 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Bases\klava\strg3117

28 97 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Bases\klava\strg3114

Please advise what I need to do next

Thank you

Please see: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280066

Did you disconnect from the internet, and then exit Kaspersky before defragmentation? Restart Kaspersky when done.

Thank you for your message. I found that when restarting the computer the necessary changes had taken place and I can use the defragmentation programme without a problem. I usually ensure that when carrying out a defragmentation I have no other programmes/Internet operating - but usually leave KIS operating.

Thank you for the further link in this particular subject

Regards

David

added the restart step and a link to your post in the defrag thread. thanks for sharing the above. I had not come across the need to restart on my own systems but obviously it is there ;)

added the restart step and a link to your post in the defrag thread. thanks for sharing the above. I had not come across the need to restart on my own systems but obviously it is there ;)

Thank you for your help - in making what looked a daunting task much more straightforward.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.