Sign in to follow this  
JimG666

klim6.sys BSOD during Windows7 upgrade

I have twice attempted to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 on a Dell laptop which has the latest version of PURE installed. In each case, in the final stages, when Windows7 starts for the first time, a BSOD message flashes onscreen for a second or two before going to the computer login screen. The blue screen mentions a driver 'klim6.sys', which I believe is a driver component of Kaspersky PURE. After login and starting, a screen says the upgrade procedure had to be cancelled, and the operating system is being automatically wound back to the old Vista operating system (a further long drawn out process).

Since each attempt at the upgrade takes something like 4 hours to get to this failure stage, I do not want to repeat this if there is a known problem with klim6.sys, PURE, and/or Windows 7. I have read elsewhere in the forum about klim6.sys giving occasional BSOD problems with Windows 7, but have not seen this mentioned when using PURE (a less used version perhaps?).

Any advice or suggestions? I am reluctant to even attempt a 'clean install', which would involve the re-installation of a whole bunch of programs, and even then, I guess the klim6.sys problem might still be present?

If it was me, I would back up my files and do a clean install. At the very least, you should uninstall PURE before upgrading, install all windows updates and service packs, then reinstall PURE after that is done. If you choose the clean install route, install your programs first then PURE last.

Thanks for the suggested cure. After reading it I did a little more research in the Windows Forum and also searched via Google, and found that this problem has happened to others with exactly the same symptoms. The suggestion there was exactly what you suggested - uninstall KIS/Pure, with some apparent success in getting Windows7 installed.

Unfortunately, I also found some reported instances of pre-existing W7 installations having crashed with BSOD after Kaspersky was first installed, so I am not entirely confident that Windows7 and Kaspersky are always completely compatible. Microsoft's W7 site and the installer program pre-installation checker say that they are, so I'll give it another try with PURE uninstalled and hope it works.

Incidentally, the W7 upgrader program suggests that you should just temporarily disable the A/V, leaving the computer connected to the net to gather the necessary drivers on the fly, which was what I did. Thanks again.

Removing PURE, upgrading Vista to W7, then re-installing PURE did the trick. So far Windows 7 has shown no Kaspersky problems that weren't already there before upgrade, but that is for a separate thread.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.