Lobster Man

Progressive avp.exe memory usage increase and gradual system slowdown; intermittent 95%+ cpu usage [Win7-64]

jebmDy.png

(This screenshot was taken after about 53 hours of system uptime)

I have been having some serious problems with KAV2011 (11.0.2.556 a.b.c.d.e.f). When my computer first boots up avp.exe will be using very little memory (maybe 20-50mb according to task manager) and everything on my system will be very fast and responsive, as I would expect. As time goes on, over the course of a few days avp.exe begins using huge amounts of system memory (sometimes 600mb+), and many things on my system will start to slow down.

Some examples of things that operate normally when my computer is freshly rebooted and begin to take longer as the system is up longer (I suspect that KAV is what is responsible for this...):

Miranda IM new message window popup - this is almost immediate early on, but after a few days of uptime it will take a very long time for a new message window to pop up after selecting a buddy from my list or receiving an incoming IM

Firefox 5 startup time - takes a few seconds initially, after a few days of uptime and when avp.exe is getting big, this can take 15-25 seconds or longer

Minecraft - The time between when I click login and can actually use the ingame menus increases over time, this is very fast when the system has low uptime, after a while this can take 20 seconds or longer to become responsive

The steam ingame overlay - this will be responsive as normal shortly after reboot, but after a few days it will take a very, very long time for it to pop up while in a game (counter-strike: source mostly, if it matters)

Most of this may just be due to reduced availability of system memory...

Once avp.exe starts taking a lot of memory (600mb+) there will be times when it also begins to use around 100% of my cpu, making the system next to unresponsive. This will stop on its own sometimes, other times it gets so bad that I must restart my computer or it will simply stop responding.

Stopping protection and right clicking the system tray icon and exiting KAV does not return the memory from this process (it stays using all several hundred mb). Further more, at this point if I restart KAV it will tell me that protection is disabled and will not let me re-enable it. If I reboot my system things go back to normal, avp.exe uses a small amount of memory, and my system is fast again. This will slowly deteriorate over the next few days as avp.exe eats up more and more memory.

During the times when avp.exe cpu usage is around 90% or more, I notice that a process called gadd64.exe appears and then disappears very quickly, and many times in task manager. Also the avp.exe memory footprint will shrink very briefly down to like 20mb, then it goes right back up to 500mb+.

I noticed all of this started somewhat recently after I tried to upgrade from KAV2011 to KAV2012. I had uninstalled KAV2011, then rebooted and installed KAV2012. It seemed like KAV2012 was causing me issues with steam and freenet so I removed it, rebooted again and then reinstalled KAV2011.

After this I started to notice the slowdown and huge cpu usage taking place. I did some searching around and I tried removing kav2011, rebooting, using the kaspersky removal tool with the -notdetect switch, I rebooted again and did a fresh install of KAV2011. This did not solve the problem and at present KAV2011 is still requiring me to reboot my system every few days.

I am hoping that when KAV2012 is finally "officially" released the issues with freenet and steam will be fixed, and there is a chance that this high CPU usage issue may be fixed as well, but until then it appears there may be a memory leak or something with KAV2011 :(

I have all the most recent drivers for my video cards, and other system hardware; I am also running win7-sp1 and all the windows updates up until now have been applied. (I have also done an offline scan with the kav rescue disk 10 and it doesn't appear I have any kind of rootkits or malware or anything). I also run RAID-1 on my C:\ drive

Here is a link to my GSI report, taken at the time of the screenshot above:

http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...34ad3e29436df25

In the meantime I am hoping that someone may be able to provide me with some advice or might have an idea what the problem may be.

Edited by Viper2026

Well I bit the bullet and upgraded to KAV2012; aside from some minor issues with freenet, this seems to be fixed

Edited by Viper2026

Well I bit the bullet and upgraded to KAV2012; aside from some minor issues with freenet, this seems to be fixed

I have Kis 2012 installed at a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit system and I have the same problem.

After a while allmost 100% cpu usage and a huge memory usage. I have 6 gig of ram and a n Intel quad processor. This problem never occurs before.

It must be a Kaspersky problem

I have Kis 2012 installed at a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit system and I have the same problem.

After a while allmost 100% cpu usage and a huge memory usage. I have 6 gig of ram and a n Intel quad processor. This problem never occurs before.

It must be a Kaspersky problem

That's almost exactly my setup too...intel core i7 and 6gb triple channel ram, maybe it's a hardware issue or something

Try cleaning up some space on your system drive. Try clean upgrade to KIS 2012.

Try cleaning up some space on your system drive. Try clean upgrade to KIS 2012.

I have a 1 1/2 TB harddisc in 3 partitions. At C: is 502 of 585Gb available. Must be enough to work properly? I always do a clean upgrade with Kis.

Hi,

Windows 64-bit or 32-bit?

If 64-bit submit a ticket to Tech Support thru My Kaspersky Account. I'm sure they're aware of this already but this seems to be cropping up with users of 64-bit Windows.

Submitting a ticket will keep them aware. I use 32-bit Windows 7 and am not seeing the avp spike that many others have.

There are allready three threads about heavy cpu/ memory or bad performance with Kis 2012 in Win 7 64 bit. It is a real problem. I am back to 2011and I am waiting for an answer of the support desk of Kaspersky. Another 119 days to go and I can kiss "Kis"goodbye after 5 years. But what then?

There are allready three threads about heavy cpu/ memory or bad performance with Kis 2012 in Win 7 64 bit. It is a real problem. I am back to 2011and I am waiting for an answer of the support desk of Kaspersky. Another 119 days to go and I can kiss "Kis"goodbye after 5 years. But what then?

I certainly wouldn't give up on KIS. I have a feeling a CF is on the way to address the issue.

There are allready three threads about heavy cpu/ memory or bad performance with Kis 2012 in Win 7 64 bit.

Remember, this is a forum where people come to talk about their problems. The likelihood of seeing issues like this is high.

There is no instance where I have installed/help set up KIS on W7 x64 where excessive CPU is an issue. In fact, I reckon it is better on resources than KIS 2011. But that is just what I have seen.

It is a real problem.

Hard to say, but because I haven't worked in a system with this problem, I don't really know.

I am back to 2011and I am waiting for an answer of the support desk of Kaspersky.

Right now, I am not sure they can answer this with any sort of confidence.

Another 119 days to go and I can kiss "Kis"goodbye after 5 years. But what then?

For mine it is the best out there. If you "kiss KIS goodbye", you may have to change your nick to "infectedtrebor" ... :b_lol1:

luckytrebor

aka:

"infectedtrebor" ... b_lol1.gif

If only I could understand that language ... :b_lol1:

It looks reasonably clean to me. You certainly have enough CPU, RAM and disk to go to KIS2012. :)