Sign in to follow this  
NYJIMBO

0x7b BSOD after scan/clean on Vista - volsnap.sys tdss.e

HP desktop running Vista, no obvious fake AV malware but has google redirects and weird audio playing, like ads. Could not kill with MBAM, Spybot, etc or in safemode. Used Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 and it found TDSS.e virus and claimed it was bad volsnap.sys. Did recommended delete and then reboot. Now getting 0x7b on all boot attempts (regular, safemode, last known, vga,etc). Tried repair in recovery console but after 10 minutes it reported could not do repair. Reading additional details said "bad driver". Tried to copy good volsnap.sys from several locations to windows/system32/drivers but still BSOD 0x7b.

There are restore points but each attempt comes back with "catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff". Ran memtest86+ two passes, ran chkdsk/r with no errors, sfc scannow with no errors, ran SMART tests in BIOS with no errors.

Cannot get past BSOD 0x7b, can only get into recovery console but repair or restore fails.

I dont think this is a hardware failure, but cant tell if there is still a virus or if the volsnap.sys removal caused something else to go wrong. I have been hearing about this kind of failure very recently but dont have enough to go on to fix.

Can anyone help ? Thank you.

Please disregard I am getting help on geekstogo.com

thank you.

We ended up reformatting the drive. Nothing worked to save the disk.