espresso

[KIS 2012] A couple more clarifications please

I'm currently running KIS 2012 (trial) since KAV has poor compatibility with other firewalls (and I will therefore probably upgrade the licence next month). I also bought KIS licence for my sister's laptop recently and on both machines there is the same issue. If I disable "Check URLs" in URL advisor, Kaspersky icon next to each link is still present. See the picture for this.

Is this behaviour expected? The only way to get rid of this is to disable URL advisor from Firefox extension list.

post-12210-1307697146_thumb.png

Another question... Has anyone actually seen the following feature work? It's called "Notify when updates and new versions are available". This feature was also present in KIS/KAV 2011 and I don't remember being notified about 2012 version release or anything else for that matter. Also, there is "Enable news notifications" under display settings. Anyone seen any news? Here are the screenshots of the mentioned features.

post-12210-1307697612_thumb.png post-12210-1307697625_thumb.png

The URL advisor icons is a known issue. See: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1646821 (requires login; JanRei's posts)

As for the News and notifications: news notifications was used occasionally in the past for some regions only, and "Notify when updates and new versions are available" (offers to download a new build and install "on-top" of previous) wasn't used yet to my knowledge. It's a marketing/upper management decision.

You can subscribe to news in MyKaspersky/Personal cabinet.

Edited by 3x0gR13N

Хвала :bt:

And about mail antivirus... Does it automatically scan SSL and TLS (Gmail) connections even though they're encrypted? Is it dependent upon "Scan encrypted connections" option? Should a certificate be installed for scanning mail traffic through SSL.

I have Thunderbird with Gmail account and "scan encrypted connections" is disabled in KIS. I suppose mail antivirus currently isn't able to scan this traffic even though it's turned on. Am I right?

Хвала :bt:

And about mail antivirus... Does it automatically scan SSL and TLS (Gmail) connections even though they're encrypted? Is it dependent upon "Scan encrypted connections" option? Should a certificate be installed for scanning mail traffic through SSL.

I have Thunderbird with Gmail account and "scan encrypted connections" is disabled in KIS. I suppose mail antivirus currently isn't able to scan this traffic even though it's turned on. Am I right?

Yes, you should enable the "scan encrypted connections" if you wan't SSL/TLS connections to be scanned. Outlook has a special plugin to allow scanning of email messages after they've arrived in the inbox (on opening), however I'm not sure TB has that as I don't use it (it probably doesn't).

You can look at Mail AV reports to see whether the messages are scanned on receiving, make sure to enable "Log non critical events" in Settings>Advanced (4th tab)>Reports and storages (you can disable them afterwards since they can cause additional overhead on system resources).

Yes, you should enable the "scan encrypted connections" if you wan't SSL/TLS connections to be scanned

I did this and KIS installed certificate only for Internet Explorer and Firefox. No certificate for Thunderbird.

post-12210-1307706932_thumb.png

Does this mean that there is no way for KIS to scan traffic from Gmail?

Edited by espresso

I did this and KIS installed certificate only for Internet Explorer and Firefox. No certificate for Thunderbird.

post-12210-1307706932_thumb.png

Does this mean that there is no way for KIS to scan traffic from Gmail?

It should still be installed even if it's not mentioned in that list (it only lists browsers AFAIK). Have you checked Mail AV reports as per my previous post to verify that Mail AV is scanning mails on receive?

Edited by 3x0gR13N

It should still be installed even if it's not mentioned in that list

Yes, you were right. Next time I launched TB it asked me to add an exception. But there is a problem, TB won't retrieve any messages through Gmail's IMAP. However, I am able to send messages. I looked into reports as you suggested and KIS detects sent messages. But there are no reports for receiving.

TB says connection timed out after trying to connect to Gmail's IMAP server. If I disable "Scan encrypted connections", everything is ok.

@Whizard

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. The certiicate is in program files? Where exactly?

Edited by espresso

So, does anyone know if the irritating search result icons will be fixed soon? I resorted to disabling the KAV plugin in IE just to remove them.

I found the certificate and added it manually to Thunderbird. The location is C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Cert

It still acts the same - cannot connect. Can anyone confirm that Gmail IMAP server works with Kaspersky's certifcate?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.