Sign in to follow this  
Arrow5

KIS 2010 vs 2011 ? Feedback for Win XP User

Hello all,

Totally enjoying KIS 2010 (9.0.0.736).

Have Win XP Home Serv Pack 3. Don't do any gaming, not much surfing, just pretty much use home computer for email, online auctions.

Renewal is coming around in the summer. I think I read somewhere that database updates will be supported for KIS 2010 up until Dec 2011 -- is that correct?

I've been with KIS since Version 7. Didn't do the vers 9, but went from 7 to 2010. I like this 2010 version quite a bit.

I like how I don't notice it in the background. And at least in this version the Rootkit scan only scans once after 30 minutes into having the computer put on - and scan takes 5 minutes. I thought I heard with the newer version (2011) the rootkit scans at times throughout the day -- and not just the one time after startup of computer like KIS 2010. Is that correct?

Those that have Win XP - and are using KIS 2011 ---- how do you like it?

I'm guessing that I'll need to upgrade to 2011 in the summer. Just curious how people like it or not compared to 2010 vers.

Thanks for any insight.

Arrow

the rootkit scan only runs once unless you have to restart the pc or KIS for whatever reason. the scan that everyone moans about running constantly in the background is called 'idle scan' and can be turned off very easily via the program settings. plus in 2011 automatic rootkit scanning can be switched off and just run on demand the same way. on the whole it is an evolutionary step over 2010. the firewall is easier to control and the sandbox seems better.

because the codes for 2011 will work with 2010 products, if you try the new one and don't like it you can always revert to the 2010 product.

please pay close attention to this page before deciding what route to go down as well:

http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2011?level=3

where it refers to available RAM it means available physical memory after the operating system and other programs are loaded on your computer. so if you have 2Gb and only 768Mb is left the 768Mb would be the figure it refers to.

Edited by antikythera

antikythera,

Thank you as always for your quick replies!

Since I'm not too swift with the "innards" of things, I looked up what I have.

I have a desktop computer

-- Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 process 3200+ 1.99 GHz, 960MB of RAM

When I check to see how much disk space I have it says free space 52.5 GB.

Where can I see how much available RAM I have? Or is it the 960 MB that I mentioned above.

Checked this via system info. Is that correct place?

Thanks again. Not tech savvy, and appreciate the info I get here always!

The 960MB is your RAM, so you have a decent amount. I'd suggest staying with 2010 for now, renew and put in the new code, then get 2012 whenever that comes out (since it is a free upgrade with a valid license).

if it is showing 960Mb of RAM then your system would have 1024Mb physically installed. 64Mb of which is used by the integrated graphics chip. so the 960Mb will now be used for the operating system and any programs running on the computer.

if you open the start menu and click on programs followed by accessories and then system tools. then select system information. the program that opens will tell you how much available physical RAM you have left. As a rough estimate I would figure this to be around the 500Mb mark at present.

see the screenshot attached for my notebook. It won't differ in appearance too much on your windows xp machine. the highlighted value is the one you need to look at for your machine.

If I am right about this and your machine only has less than 1Gb of RAM to start off with after the graphics chip has taken a chunk, I would not recommend the upgrade to 2011 products as they would cripple your machine.

post-219877-1299523696_thumb.jpg

Edited by antikythera

antikythera,

Thank you. Just went to Programs/acces/system tools and sys info

Here's what I have listed (I'm not savvy with what all this is or means by the way)

Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory: 290.52 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

If it is the case, that I don't have enough memory for KIS2011 (and you've mentioned that if I don't have enough it could cripple the machine), will I still be able to get the daily updates to KIS2010 as usual if I stay with 2010?

Or was my understanding correct, that they cease at the end of 2011?

When I mean updates, I mean the automatic updates that happen throughout the day for the databases. Or is that something else that ceases for KIS2010 at the end of 2011?

Thank you!

Yes you can continue to use your installed product when renewal time comes. simply put the 2011 activation code in the new commercial license information entry form. It will work that way as they are backwards compatible with 2010.

2010 receives limited support. Meaning that the following services are available for the 2010 build 9.0.0.736 until 8th December 2011:

-rendering technical support over phone / web,

-release of antivirus database updates (required to protect your computer/server/mobile device).

No new patches released for this version.

"Limited support may be limited in time. End-of- support date and date of final guaranteed antivirus database update are indicated in this case."

However the end of database updates is not categorically given. For the 2009 version it is and they finish on 24th December 2011. I would assume they won't stop the 2010 database updates on the 8th December 2010 just the tech. support element. You would have to ask Kaspersky Labs for clarification on this I'm afraid. Try the open support ticket link in my signature.

Edited by antikythera

Ok thanks for the info.

So I take it my computer would not be able to support 2011 version from the memory info I've provided?

Ok thanks for the info.

So I take it my computer would not be able to support 2011 version from the memory info I've provided?

Sure you can try 2011, 1gb is enough, i might be tempted to suggest the same as Knight Captain though......to stay with 2010 if you like it that much. the 2012 beta program has just started and you can safely stay with 2010 until 2012 arives in a few months.

Your choice really.

no unfortunately it won't. i know from trying it myself on my own system with 1Gb of RAM. It makes the system as responsive as a snail. 2Gb in total instead of the 1Gb you currently have would be wise if your system can take it and you are willing to go down the upgrade route.

here is a good way to find out what RAM you have and what you would need to buy. it will give a rough idea of the costs involved too and full instructions on how to fit the memory are on the same site:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Edited by antikythera

antikythera -- Thank you so much for the information. It may be time for a new computer and do it that way maybe, but thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Don Pelotas -- 2 Questions:

1). Any idea if the daily database updates will supported through 2011?

I would like to stay with 2010, renew license for 2010 in summer when time comes around, but if it's going to be a problem that I won't be able to get database updates for 2010 past the December 2011 timeframe, then I may have to rework other solutions. Glad I'm asking now, so thanks to all for the input!

2) So if my RAM is not enough for KIS2011 (or would make it crawl as antikythera has mentioned) - would it be a safe bet to say that when KIS2012 is available, I would be in the same situation, with the existing RAM info I gave above?

Thanks!

no problem you're welcome. as for the 2012 system requirements i asked the same question in the beta thread. the answer from the developers was they will remain the same as the 2011 package. so yes it would be the same situation.

For what it’s worth, I am running KIS 2011 v11.0.2.556 on a very old PC and an underpowered netbook, both with no complaints from me regarding performance (relative to the hardware’s lack of speed and power). (KIS 2011 is also running fine on my newer, more powerful PC.)

My old PC has a Pentium 4 1.6GHz processor and 1GB of 266MHz DDR RAM. It does have an old graphics card, so none of the system RAM is reserved for graphics.

My netbook has a first generation Intel Atom 1.6GHz N270 processor, and 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM.

Once the desktops stabilize after bootup, which takes a little over a minute, both machines run fine. Apps open and close reasonably fast (for old or underpowered hardware), and I rarely notice any lag (again, relative to what I would expect from such underpowered hardware). Firefox in Safe Run mode runs stable on both machines.

I’m probably having better performance results than usual on this old or underpowered hardware for three reasons:

1) I have disabled all processes and services I don’t use. This frees up a lot of RAM and CPU cycles.

2) I don’t do intensive tasks on these machines, no gaming, video editing, etc.

3) I don’t have any useless crapware installed.

Arrow5, Your post #6 indicates available physical memory is 290.52MB. While this is a low amount for unlaunched apps, it does include running KIS 2010. I could be wrong, but I think that KIS 2011 uses about the same amount of RAM as 2010 on average.

The virtual memory amount is your hard drive space dedicated by Windows to be used if your running low on RAM. If you’re using a lot of virtual memory, this is a performance killer, even for high powered PCs as hard drives are a lot slower than RAM.

You can get a very basic notion of how much your hard drive is being used as virtual memory by going into you’re your Task Manager (right mouse button click the Windows taskbar, then click Task Manager). Click the Performance tab, then look at the Commit Charge Peak value in the lower left corner of the Task Manager window. If the peak is higher than your physical RAM (in your case 960MB), you need more RAM. You should do this after you have been running the PC for a good while after bootup, and you’ve launched and used the applications you use often.

What I’m about to say is easy to say, but hard to do for non-techies – if you would be willing to learn how to disable background processes that you don’t need, and identify and uninstall any software that you don’t use, you’re available physical memory would increase, sometimes by a lot. This suggestion is probably not appropriate though because you likely have better things to do then to spend your time seeking out reliable information, reading how to do this, and implementing the changes.

I agree with antikythera’s post #2 and Don Pelotas’ post #9 of this thread. In summary, 2011 has some modest improvements over 2010. If you want to try 2011 and it doesn’t work for you, you can always go back to 2010. Then again, if you like 2010 a lot, you can follow Knight Captain’s post #4 and the old cliché – don’t fix what is not broken.

Hope this helps.

sound advice from mfn. however the resource requirement with regards memory has indeed doubled for 2011 from 256Mb to 512Mb. so the only way you could get it running anywhere near efficiently is to start disabling non essential stuff like mfn has. there is a decent website with guidance on this but if you do anything of this nature you have to take a backup so it is easily reversible.

mfn --- Thank you for that detailed message. I found that quite interesting, and appreciate your thoughts & time you took to send that, thanks. Lots of good stuff in there.

antikythera --- Other than haning on to KIS2010 renewing it in summer & hoping for database updates through summer of 2012 (which I'm doubtful of), I'm out of luck I guess - need to get a newer computer it seems.

I knew the day would come at some point.

I might attempt to upgrade to KIS 2011 on this machine at some point, just seems pointless really, without tweaking it to death. Buying a new computer seems the route in the not too distant future.

Thanks. Appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.