Sign in to follow this  
trev47

Admin kit upgrade went bad

I don't want to knock Kaspersky, but I feel compelled to post my experience upgrading the admin kit from the 2090 version to 2134.

I thought that I waited long enough since the release to go ahead and proceed with the upgrade this past Sunday. I had not seen many negative posts and I thought it should go smoothly. I was not experiencing any unusual problems prior to the upgrade. I ran the klbackup utility to backup my certificate and everything else (Thank God). Next I started the Admin kit installer to upgrade. It went OK until it got to the part about registering components. At this point it just got hung up. There were no errors, but the IDriver process was steadily using CPU cycles. I left it for about 30 minutes, but it never progressed. I tried to cancel the install, but that had no effect. I ended the process in taskmanager. I tried cleaning out all temp directories and restarting the upgrade. It hung in the same spot as before, and so I rebooted the server.

When the server came up, the admin kit was version 2134. I thought that was a good sign. The admin kit was a little slow, but I didn't pay much attention to the fact at the time. I began creating a Network Agent deployment task and I started it before going to bed.

The next morning at the office, trying to log into the admin kit was very slow. It didn't matter if I remoted to the server and ran it at the console or from my desktop PC. I called support at this point. I was asked to remove the admin kit. It would not install without a tool from support. I was asked to try to install the admin kit again. Now I got errors about not finding the database. Support asked me to remove sql at this point. I did and the admin kit would not install again. Next I cleaned the server of all references to SQL and the Admin kit both the file system and the registry. I was able to install the admin kit and sql, but it would still hang and be slow. Support was not very good during this process. They were not able to help me get the server back up and running properly.

Late yesterday I began reloading Windows on the server, and later on I hope to try a clean install of the Admin kit. I am hoping all goes ok. I would go back to the 2090 version, but I have already deployed a couple thousand updated Network agents, and I was told that they would not work with the older admin kit.

I am not trying to bash Kaspersky. I would just like to post my experience so that everyone is aware that they do not all go smoothly. Evaluate for yourself whether you should upgrade or not.

" At this point it just got hung up. There were no errors, but the IDriver process was steadily using CPU cycles. I left it for about 30 minutes, but it never progressed."

I also noted a long period of what appeared to be inactivity, although I stayed the course and it did indeed complete the update/migration. I'm pretty sure I left mine for at least an hour... At the very least documenting the expected behavior would be a big help.

kevgo.

There have been way too many issues that I've seen on this forum going the upgrade route. Even when upgrades go well many report problems with corrupted virus definitions, communication issues or other errors that I have not even come across with clean installs. I configured a new server with Server 2008 R2, installed Kaspersky 2134 and configured it clean in half a day and am ready to run KLMOVER task for our network. My Kaspersky configuration is for 2000 clients across about 48 remote locations in the US and Canada. When I do have issues I never have to wonder if it's an issue due to the upgrade. I recommend clean installs for anyone, it might take longer to setup compared to upgrades that go well but it is much faster and cheaper than dealing with upgrades that don't.

Edited by Rob_R

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.