Hi,

When updating Win 7 with service pack 1, is it ok to leave Kaspersky on or is it better to stop protection.

Thanks

safest method (and the one I intend to use) would be to download final SP1 to hard drive and disconnect from internet. then disable KAV/KIS protection and exit them from the tray icon as well. choose the option to resume protection on reboot when prompted.

then install SP1 following on screen prompts as necessary to complete the upgrade process. when you reboot your system should operate as normal.

however as an aside, it is always best to take a full system backup before applying the service packs as well to get you out of a hole should it go wrong for any reason at all.

@ kempie:

Hi!

Excellent question!

Don't wish to hijack your thread, but hope antikythera can provide a bit of clarification for both of us...

@ antikythera:

Excellent advice!

I have a couple of question I hope you can explain.

1. When you say "disable KIS/KAV protection" and "exit from tray icon", I understand what you mean about exit from the tray icon, but what step exactly do you mean when you say "disable KIS/KAV protection"?

2. Is this Settings > General Settings > UNCHECK Enable Protection?

3. I assume that is a bit of "belt and suspenders" approach to be really sure RTP processes are terminated completely, more so than they would be by only exiting from the system tray?

4. Since SP1 will be making so many registry changes upon reboot, would it not be a bit safer to first reboot, let Windows confirm successful SP1 install and THEN connect to the internet & restart KIS manually?

Thanks very much to you both,

MM

The tray shortcut to pause protection does the same thing and is easier to access.

if you set KIS/KAV to resume on startup you are protected prior to enabling the network adapter or plugging the LAN wire back in and connecting to the internet which is the best approach imho.

Service pack 1 should actually not make too many changes if you have kept up to date with windows updates. there are only a few modifications in this instance so it really should be no problem to install on a well maintained operating system. however, should problems arise it can and will rollback changes before the login screen appears. if any issues develop after this point of no return so to speak (i.e. the OS thinks the install worked but it did not), restoring from a backup is the best remedy anyhow.

Edited by antikythera

1. When you say "disable KIS/KAV protection" and "exit from tray icon", I understand what you mean about exit from the tray icon, but what step exactly do you mean when you say "disable KIS/KAV protection"?

2. Is this Settings > General Settings > UNCHECK Enable Protection?

MM

Right click kaspersky icon --> Pause protection --> Pause until reboot

@ blind darkness:

Thanks, but I know how to pause from the system tray.

That was not my question.

My question was why it would be necessary to BOTH exit from the system tray AND disable protection from the main UI, especially if they accomplish the same thing.

@antikythera:

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Yes, the OS is fully patched, so I'm not all that concerned.

I've done SP installs on XP and Vista many times.

This will be my first for Win7 and for KIS.

Some here at the boards have even suggested uninstalling KIS before SP1 install & then reinstalling KIS.

That seems like a "long run for a short slide".

I've never done that in the past with XP or Vista.

But Win7 is a completely different OS and KIS is a far more robust AV/IS suite than what I've used in the past....

Thank you,

MM

@ blind darkness:

Thanks, but I know how to pause from the system tray.

That was not my question.

My question was why it would be necessary to BOTH exit from the system tray AND disable protection from the main UI, especially if they accomplish the same thing.

pausing protection via the tray should be sufficient. exiting as well via the tray just unloads the resources used by the tray icon and GUI processes so that there is more clout available to get the service pack installed that little bit quicker. not entirely necessary on a decent modern machine but every little helps ;)

Actually I disabled Self Defense, paused protection, exited KIS, and then ran the update. After it rebooted and finished I re-enabled KIS and re-enabled self defense. I don't know if it was all necessary but it worked fine.

@ antikythera:

Thanks again for detailed, yet clear, explanation.

I really appreciate it.

@alien8:

Glad to hear it went smoothly for you.

Are you running Win7 x64 or x86, by any chance?

Thanks all!

MM

Are you running Win7 x64 or x86, by any chance?

Whoops, I meant to post that info. They were all x64.

Thank Guys :beer:

Now i know wat to do if sp1 is out.

Thanks, kempie, both for posting and for allowing me to ask a few questions here.

Much obliged,

MM

Below is a brief statement from MS on the release date of SP1:

Microsoft said today that it had sent the first service pack for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to original equipment manufacturers, with a consumer release to follow later this month.

Microsoft says the update will go out to consumers through Windows Update on February 22. TechNet subscribers and Microsoft's volume license customers will get their hands on it a week earlier, on the 16th

On another side note: MS just released IE9 RC, I have it and it seems to work very fast and smooth, so far so good.

Edited by RaytheBear

Hi,

When updating Win 7 with service pack 1, is it ok to leave Kaspersky on or is it better to stop protection.

Thanks

Hi,

Don't forget that you have to uninstall W7 SP1 RC/Beta before you can update to the RTM version but if people are like me and do housekeeping on PC then you will not be able to uninstall SP1 RC you will have to do a clean Win 7 install.

Iechyd Da

@ RaytheBear:

Thanks for the info -- WU is set to notify only, but it's still nice to have a bit of advance notice for these sorts of things.

I think I'll wait for RTM/Gold IE9.

@ Paul13:

Thanks for that important reminder.

Fortunately, I haven't installed SP1 RC or beta, so I should be OK.

Regards,

MM

MM, I wish I never installed SP1 RC cos I had to do a clean install :angry2:

Iechyd Da

Windows 7 SP1 has now been released and is available via Windows Update. The Microsoft help says that some Anti-virus software should be turned off before applying this update, but does not list them.

Is it OK to leave KAV 11.0.2.556 (a.b.c.d) on, running under 64 bit OS, as with other windows updates?

I updated my Laptop & PC with SP1 and I never paused KIS 2011, well in fact I forgot to pause it :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response and reference to article 6009. So I did exit from KAV before doing the SP1 update, which seemed successful.

However, contrary to the article, when the laptop rebooted and finished reconfiguring and I logged in, it was not necessary to launch KAV as it was already running. If this is a problem please let me know. Otherwise, why does it say relaunch KAV if it is not required? This is scope for confusion at a rather tense time!

By default KAV/KIS should become active automatically after rebooting, that's correct.

That article was likely not accounting for the reboot, which will have to happen. Myself, when I upgraded, I disabled self defense and then exited KIS and ran the SP1 install. After the reboot I re-enabled self defense (I know that the self defense can mess with System Restore, just wanted to make sure it didn't lock anything during the upgrade). It may not be necessary, but it surely doesn't hurt anything.

Three quick things:

1) Merged. :)

2) I uninstalled Kaspersky > rebooted > installed Windows Service Pack 1 > rebooted > did routine disk maintenance and cleanup > re installed Kaspersky > rebooted. :)

3) Quote from Danilka, lest it be irretrievably buried: :)

Microsoft released Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 this past week.

Has anyone installed it yet?

Is anyone running KAV 9.0.0.736 under Windows 7 x64 with SP1? Is so, did you encounter any dificulities with KAV 7.0.0.736 running with SP1 installed?

Hello, bgelfand:

While you await a specific reply from someone running a similar OS and software configuration, I thought it might be worth mentioning that the availability of SP1 is a good opportunity for you to upgrade to the latest KIS/KAV build, thereby killing 2 birds with 1 stone?

Upgrades are free within your unexpired license period.

Then you would have the most stable and secure OS and KAV versions.

Uninstall KAV2010, reboot, install Win7 SP1, reboot, then do a clean install of KAV2011.

Links to the most current versions, as well as to clean install instructions, are in my signature.

If you have any questions about your system prior to doing this, please post a link to a GSI report.

Instructions are also in my sig -- just go to that page and follow steps 1-4.

The experts will review it for any potential issues.

Just a thought, :)

MM

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.