Salmoneus

A few issues with KAV 5

We are moving from KAV 4 to KAV 5 here at our company, and so far 15 PC's or so are migrated to version 5. We use an administration server and I must say this looks very good indeed! However, there are a few issues.

We use:

KAV for Windows Workstations 5.0.200 (a few 5.0.177)

Administration server 5.0.0409

1. Computer scanning seems to use "extended databases" so a lot of "not-a-virus." are detected. I have not chosen this. It is quite annoying to get A LOT of mails saying there are not-a-viruses... How do I disable this? I do not want to detect those "viruses" at all.

2. (Related to 1.) Most Not-a-viruses cannot be disinfected, and should be deleted, as I have chosen this as action for found viruses. However, they are never deleted, and reappears at every scan. Is this just for not-a-viruses, or will KAV fail to delete real viruses too?

3. The default computer scanning tasks sometimes scan network drives. Is it supposed to do that? What is a recommended setting for just scanning local drives?

4. A few machines produce a lot of GNRL_EV_INTERNAL_ERROR events, but seem to work fine nonetheless! Am I to be worried, or are those just temporary errors?

5. On a few other machines the real time file protection fails to start sometimes. The remedy is to start it manually without problems. What can be done to prevent that behaviour?

6. In the updates folder on the server there is a file named kav5.0.205patch_winwks_upd.exe. How can that patch be deployed to existing KAV 5.0.x installations?

Sorry for the long read, but I need to know these things...

Thanks!

/Per

1. Computer scanning seems to use "extended databases" so a lot of "not-a-virus." are detected. I have not chosen this. It is quite annoying to get A LOT of mails saying there are not-a-viruses... How do I disable this? I do not want to detect those "viruses" at all.

So you can simply add that software to TRUSTED RISKWARE or simply turn off Riskware detection

in Real Time Protection Task (but it is better for you to keep this)

2. (Related to 1.) Most Not-a-viruses cannot be disinfected, and should be deleted, as I have chosen this as action for found viruses. However, they are never deleted, and reappears at every scan. Is this just for not-a-viruses, or will KAV fail to delete real viruses too?

No,

this is a problem with that kind of software,do not wory kav will delete virus :) that's for sure.

And also can you tell me which soft kav hasn't deleted ?

3. The default computer scanning tasks sometimes scan network drives. Is it supposed to do that? What is a recommended setting for just scanning local drives?

Recommended settings,it is best for you to adjust protection as you think what is good for you and

your LAN.

4. A few machines produce a lot of GNRL_EV_INTERNAL_ERROR events, but seem to work fine nonetheless! Am I to be worried, or are those just temporary errors?

I think that this is a just info error,nothing special,but just to be shure send me some log files to check

just in case ;)

5. On a few other machines the real time file protection fails to start sometimes. The remedy is to start it manually without problems. What can be done to prevent that behaviour?

Some app. is blockin it ? Some another service is running,you have some script on that pc ?

Once more,check your log's because realtime pro. shoud load on start up.

6. In the updates folder on the server there is a file named kav5.0.205patch_winwks_upd.exe. How can that patch be deployed to existing KAV 5.0.x installations?

They will get it thru the regular update,just need to enable Module Update on WS.

Thanks!

No problem :)

2. We have a lot of "not-a-virus:tool.win32.reboot", they seem to be included in many program installation packages. Sometimes in the form of reboot.exe files already installed and sometimes embedded in WISE installation packages. Neither of them are deleted when detected.

4 and 5. Which files do you need? I am not sure where to find the logs...

6. How do I "enable Module Update on WS"? The patch is on the server, but does not seem to install on the clients...

2. We have a lot of "not-a-virus:tool.win32.reboot", they seem to be included in many program installation packages. Sometimes in the form of reboot.exe files already installed and sometimes embedded in WISE installation packages. Neither of them are deleted when detected.

Ok,that's ok... it is not a virus it is only reboot script from some progy.and thats way kav woun't delete it.

4 and 5. Which files do you need? I am not sure where to find the logs...

C : / documents & settings / All Users / App Data / kaspersky lab

C; /program files /kaspersky lab/

6. How do I "enable Module Update on WS"? The patch is on the server, but does not seem to install on the clients...

Just go to Settings Tab, User Tasks, and look for Moduls Update double click on it and enbale it ;)

Sorry for being stupid :) but which exact files are the logs? event.xml?

And where do I find the "user tasks"? Can it be done from the administration console?

Sorry for being stupid :) but which exact files are the logs? event.xml?

And where do I find the "user tasks"? Can it be done from the administration console?

ok,

give me a one min to switch on windows B)

ok,

take a look at attach

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\KAV for Workstations\5.0\Reports

This reports.

And Please go to Settings / Additional Settings / and mark Save all messg. to log

post-1618-1120049385.jpg

Edited by srle

Ok, problem is I can only reach the clients through the admin console (Application interface is off). But I will try to update my own KAV the way you described.

Is there any way to update the modules with the admin console?

I have uploaded a zip with the log files from a computer that got a GNRL_EV_INTERNAL_ERROR earlier today. I checked the "log all" right now.

Reports.zip

Ok, problem is I can only reach the clients through the admin console (Application interface is off). But I will try to update my own KAV the way you described.

Is there any way to update the modules with the admin console?

I have uploaded a zip with the log files from a computer that got a GNRL_EV_INTERNAL_ERROR earlier today. I checked the "log all" right now.

Hi,

oki i will download this files and take a look.

And about Administ. Console you mean from Admin kit or ?

Ok,

there is a way to update modules thru admin kit console,

but right now i am working something on linux ;(

so if you can take a look at PDF i am sure that

you will find the solution there.Unless i change my OS

back to windows and then i will send you an solution

The update tasks (in the admin kit) contain an option to update application modules, but the new .205 patch does not seem to install no matter how I try...

The update tasks (in the admin kit) contain an option to update application modules, but the new .205 patch does not seem to install no matter how I try...

What is the kav's output ? when you try to start module update ?