chrisjwynn

Program not fully uninstalled. Reboot and run setup again

Have used Kaspersky products continuously for about 10 years. Never the slightest problem upgrading. Currently using KIS 2011 with a 3 PC licence. Having recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 I removed its pre-installed Security System (Bullguard) and downloaded and installed KIS 11.0.2.556. Perfect. Ran like a dream. I then discovered that my main PC which is running Win XP Pro (SP 3) had version 11.0.1.400(a,b,c) on it so attempted to update to 11.0.2.556.

After a couple of minutes I got an error message saying "Program not fully uninstalled. Reboot and run setup again". Another message then popped up saying "machine may be infected. Download AVPTool and scan for viruses". I didn't bother with this as KIS had been running previously without reporting any threats so just rebooted and ran setup again. Got the same error. Had a look in Add/Remove Programs, KIS was there so attempted to remove it. Got "Error 1316: A network error occurred while attempting to read from file c:\windows\installer\kavkis.msi".

Just to be sure, downloaded and ran AVPTool with default settings (hidden startup objects, system memory, disk boot sectors). Nothing untoward was reported so downloaded and ran KavRemover. This found AVPTool Driver and KIS. Removed AVPTool Driver, rebooted, ran KavRemover and this time (as expected) it only found KIS. Removed KIS, no error messages, seemed to finish OK, rebooted, ran setup, same problem, "Application not fully uninstalled". Ran KavRemover again, KIS was still found. Tried again, same problem so giving up.

Where do I go from here? HELLLLP. Please.

If there are no other Kaspersky products installed, then go into your registry and remove these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab

*** Do this at your own risk. If you're not comfortable making a System Restore Point and then trying it, don't! ***

Also,

Did you run the Removal tool in Safe mode? If not, please do so, and reboot after tool use.

If still no go, please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the sixth Important topic.

If there are no other Kaspersky products installed, then go into your registry and remove these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab

*** Do this at your own risk. If you're not comfortable making a System Restore Point and then trying it, don't! ***

Thanks for your reply. Happy with restore points and editing the registry. However, I've discovered that a whole lot of other things seem to have got corrupted. When I try to run System Restore I just get a busy cursor for a couple of seconds and that's it. Everything else in Accessories\System Tools runs OK apart from System Information which just gives the same 2 second busy cursor.

I think maybe I'll try Richbuff's suggestion of running the Removal Tool in safe mode first and see if that cures the problem. Failing that, in the absence of any other suggestions, I might just have to bite the bullet and go for the regedit.

Edited by ChrisJW

Also,

Did you run the Removal tool in Safe mode? If not, please do so, and reboot after tool use.

If still no go, please post your GetSystemInfo report link, instructions are located in the sixth Important topic.

Thanks for that. No, I didn't realise you had to be in safe mode. Will give that a try when I get over to the other machine.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.