ktsaved

Up2date.exe causes memory paging and server "hang"

Dear friends, we need your assistance.

Please run a scheduled update with CLOSED console and WITHOUT deleting the contents of the share\updates folder.

The console SHOULD be closed while the Download updates to repository task is running.

It is also necessary to complete (or at least run) the task twice.

Hi Alexander.

Thanks for working on our issue.

I tested this scenario twice this morning and once tonight...

All three times, all sessions were logged out of the server, so no Admin Consoles were running.

All three times, the issue persisted - All memory gets flushed when Up2date runs.

Let us know if there's anything else we can try/test.

Thanks,

Josh

It just happens now, 2 minutes after starting an update : (no console session)

Now the only solution I found is to allow only one update a day, during night, to avoid freezing users....

kaspersky.jpg

Thank you very much.

The second scenario - deleting the contents of the share\updates folder (without removing the contents of Temporary folder) and run update task with a closed console.

And also please attach traces files. ($Up2date-1093.log)

We have 5 SBS2003 server have same problem. This post have been going on for a few months now. The customer complaints are flooding us, we could not handle. I just could not believe Kas Lab is taking its time. We will move all customer to TrendMicro if this is not solved by this weekend.

We provide managed I.T. service, so fixing this type problem could not charge customer. I run a service report on those five customers, search for total hours service requests may looks like related to this problem, that adds up nearly 850 hours. Not to say all due to Kaspersky problem, could be our bad business practice, bad managementment or inexperienced engineers, but if this problem is not there, we could save a lot of time/money. While I run a service report agaist other customers that use different security products, they have less than 100 hours. Not to say other product is better, may be I did not run the report properly, but I just do not need this kind of problem and still selling Kaspersky to customer, it is just increase the cost to provide Managed I.T. service.

I do not think Kaspersky is getting the point.

Steps taken:

1) Clean repository from with KAK

2) Set update task to run every 30 minutes

3) Closed KAK

4) Turn on up2date tracing

5) Allow task to run several times

6) Take log file

7) Post here

Note: the issue does not happen on the first (and possibly second) time the task executes after you clean the repository. After it has run a few times the problem returns.

The issue remains. Whatever your idea was it hasn't fixed it.

(I'd have posted a trace file but it's too big for the forum to handle - even RARd!) (the file is 800KB compressed).

J

That has resolved the issue for me. (I've run the task twice so far).

Even when running the task with the KAK console open.

J

Please try to replace the files upd_core.dll and diffsAK.dll in the Kaspersky Administration Kit installation folder with the files from the attached archive and let us know if it helps to solve the issue. Thank you!

Thanks for the help, Lashchenkov. Much appreciated.

I've replaced the two files and ran the update task.

The first time, with the admin kit open, the problem still existed.

The second time, with the admin kit closed, the memory problem didn't occur.

Repeated twice, with the same results.

This is on a Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition, SP2 (x86) machine.

So, for me, the new files appear to be working, as long as the admin kit is closed.

Will post if anything changes, and looking forward to hear what others experience. :)

Regards,

Josh

The first time, with the admin kit open, the problem still existed.

The second time, with the admin kit closed, the memory problem didn't occur.

Thank you for the information! But could you please specify what exactly do you mean: "admin kit open", "admin kit closed"?

Thank you for the information! But could you please specify what exactly do you mean: "admin kit open", "admin kit closed"?

Sure, sorry about that.

I'm referring to having the 'Kaspersky Administration Kit' running (open) or not running (closed).

On the previous page, Alexander Ilin spoke of running the updates task with the console closed.

In my mind, console = 'Kaspersky Administration Kit'.

Thanks much,

Josh

Sure, sorry about that.

I'm referring to having the 'Kaspersky Administration Kit' running (open) or not running (closed).

On the previous page, Alexander Ilin spoke of running the updates task with the console closed.

In my mind, console = 'Kaspersky Administration Kit'.

Thanks much,

Josh

That's strange. Actually, it's no matter if you have 'Kaspersky Administration Kit' console open or not. I guess there was some other reason why your experiment failed at first.

Could you please check in $klakupd.log and $klakupd.bak if there really were some files updated there in both cases? Maybe the second time just no new updates were available on the update source, and that was the reason of the better memory usage.

And after that could you please repeat the test once again having "the admin kit open"?

Thank you very much!

Hi

I had test this two files since this morning.

It worked for a few hours, but after 4-5 Updates (i update every Hour on times) the problem was back. the processes loose their memory and the server will freeze.

So for my it is not fixed. But it is better and not on every update. So now i switched back to the Universal updater :-(

regards Dandy

Edited by Dandy-power

I've currently got the task running every 30 mins (testing) ... and you're right, the issue does still happen sometimes. (even with the console closed)

My initial testing (only two updates) didn't experience the problem.

J

Edited by Brammers

I've currently got the task running every 30 mins (testing) ... and you're right, the issue does still happen sometimes. (even with the console closed)

My initial testing (only two updates) didn't experience the problem.

J

Thank you very much! Could I ask you just one more thing to do, please?

Before the updater task starts for the next time (when you expect that the task start will cause the problem again), please look at the processes list in the Task Manager: is there any Up2Date.exe process there when no update tasks are actually running yet? Or this process appears only when the task is started? Thank you very much in advance!

By me the Up2Date.exe is only in the list, when the task is running.

Edited by Dandy-power

Same here, the process exits when complete and no task is left running.

J

Sorry, I am not sure I get it right.

Dandy-power wrote that up2date.exe exists only when the task is running (and disappears when the task is complete).

Do you mean that in your case up2date.exe still exists when the task is complete? In other words, do you have up2date.exe process running when no updater tasks are running?

No, up2date.exe only exists whilst task in KAK is running (same as Dandy-power).

J

No, up2date.exe only exists whilst task in KAK is running (same as Dandy-power).

J

Ok, sorry!

Thank you very much!

P.S. As far as I know later on today new updater dlls will be available to test.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.