Sign in to follow this  
jbwisemo

Trouble installing KAK 2134 on 2008 R2 Server Core

I am trying to install KAK 8.0.2134 on a Server Core 2008 R2 server which is also a DC.

Unfortunately, I am having problems getting the SQLExpress part of the setup working:

The first time I tried, KAK setup just didn't allow me to select the option to install SQL Express.

I then tried installing SQL Express manually only to get an error that .net was "corrupted" (actually, .NET was fine, but .NET 32 bit is not installed by default on server core). So I installed .NET 32 bit and .NET 3 (64 and 32 bit) additional server roles.

I then installed SQL Express manually (from the unpacked KAK installer files), ignoring warnings about IE and DCOM not being available, because this is server core.

Now I tried installing KAK again, but it still does not offer to install SQL Express, and connecting to an "existing instance" just times out.

So what is the proper way to install KAK 2134 on Server Core 2008 R2?

It looks that a windows 2008 R2 Core is not supported.

I read that list several times over, and it is not clear if 2008 R2 is supported or not in server core mode. It mentions 2008 server core. It also mentions 2008 R2, but it doesn't state either way about 2008 R2 server core.

During install, I received an explicit message that the admin console will not be installed on server core, and then setup continues. So KAK setup recognized that it was on 2008 R2 Server Core and allowed me to proceed.

Anyway, I am not sure if this is purely a sever core problem, or if it is some other problem with the setup of SQL Express by the KAK installer.

Requirements seems clear to me, 2008 Core is supported, 2008 R2 is supported, 2008 R2 Core isn't.

.Net Framework on Core server are only a shadow of what they are on normal version, so i guess that's why you have trouble connecting to your SQL database.

Edited by Testeur09

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.