Nemesi

Pop-up blocker

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 6 and I have the pop-up blocker running, but I see that pop-ups aren't blocked:

-with Firefox pop-ups are blocked by its internal pop-up blocker

-with other browser (like Flock) pop-ups continue to appear

Is there any option I haven't set right, or when at the beginning KIS asked me what to do with browsers (like Firefox or Flock here) I gave them too much permissions?

Thanks a lot.

Hello.

The popup blocker only works with IE.

Hello.

The popup blocker only works with IE.

What a shame. I just installed KIS for a test drive, and was really enjoying the speed, and small footprint.

As an avid Firefox user and tester this oversight is just not acceptable.

Back to Outpost + Nod32

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060812 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006081213 [cairo]

What a shame.  I just installed KIS for a test drive, and was really enjoying the speed, and small footprint. 

As an avid Firefox user and tester this oversight is just not acceptable.

Back to Outpost + Nod32

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060812 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006081213 [cairo]

So you enjoyed the speed, and small footprint........but because you're an avid Firefox user and tester (which does have a popup blocker) are going to look past Kaspersky as a possibility....hmmm. :)

So you enjoyed the speed, and small footprint........but because you're an avid Firefox user and tester (which does have a popup blocker) are going to look past Kaspersky as a possibility....hmmm. :)

Yes, as well as firefox does with pop-ups, it does not block them all, ala the popups on CNN's site. Outpost does block these as well as ZApro. ZApro has had its share of issues the past few updates and I'm exploring around.

When and if support for Firefox is added then I might try later, until then ?

Thanks for the drive

Firefox's popup blocker is very tweakable. If you get popups on cnn.com (I don't) maybe you could look into it.

Thats certanly your choice. Good Luck on your endevours :)

I don't think CNN has popups. I've browsed it with Ie 6 with no popup blocker installed and didn't get anything. Perhaps you have adware on your computer?

I don't think CNN has popups. I've browsed it with Ie 6 with no popup blocker installed and didn't get anything. Perhaps you have adware on your computer?

No point trying to convince someone who already made up their decisions.

I cant belive anyone would give up on kav just because of a few popups, I know I wouldnt B)

But as Whizard said no point trying to convince him if he has already decided not to.

Nod32 aint that bad either, but when u could get the best well .... :D:P

Edited by Sall

Back to Outpost!?!

First of all, as a Firefox user, why don't you install the extensions:

NoScript:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/

Adblock:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

Ads are just java and javascripts tricks. Think about the good things you leave behind if you go to the competitor.

For example: Outpost's services are directly linked to its windows. That's a big DON'T in security. Did you know that?

And it's icons have a vulnerability that may lead to escalation of user rights (it's not so hard to write some malware that exploits this). They've been warned from the very beginning and refuse to change this.

Paul Wynant

Moscow, Russia

Edited by p2u

I don't think we'll be getting a reply from Nemesi.

Me too!!!!! :P

Actually, I understand the chagrin of Nemesi and Littlemutt, but as Don points out, I don't think that I would choose an AV based on its popup-blocking ability. ;)

Just my 0.02, and at the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, I too find it disconcerting that KL only develops products with MS apps in mind --- IE, ActiveX, Outlook, OE, .NET, Windows Installer, etc.. It is not clear whether or not the devs test their products on anything other than MS clients and apps. Whenever someone tries to force me to use any client, I usually look for another solution. I have a license for KIS, but I will probably never use anything other than KAV because of this. As I said, just my 0.02.

And then there is that AOL thing ... [grin] :P

BTW, for those of you who use KIS popup-blocking, does it block the popups on this site? The reason that I ask is that my PFW (Sunbelt-Kerio) does block the popups. I actually find this to be quite humorous, but then I have a weird sense of humor. :lol:

Ron :)

I don't think that I would choose an AV based on its popup-blocking ability. ;)

Exactly right!

at the risk of being accused of beating a dead horse, I too find it disconcerting that KL only develops products with MS apps in mind --- IE, ActiveX, Outlook, OE, .NET, Windows Installer, etc.. It is not clear whether or not the devs test their products on anything other than MS clients and apps.

The horse ain't dead yet, so nobody is going to accuse you... :D

I think you're making a very strong point here... I mean, those are applications that have a very, very sad history.

Huh?! What pop-ups? :D

Paul Wynant

Moscow, Russia

Edited by p2u

I don't think Kaspersky hosts popups either...

I was just kidding, Blurr... I don't see a pop-up because I have scripts disabled. If Ron says there's a pop-up there, there is one, trust me... :)

Paul Wynant

Moscow, Russia

I don't think we'll be getting a reply from Nemesi.

Well, I just changed some things in my pc, so I stayed offline for I while then I forgot about this...

I'm still using both Firefox and KIS, I don't have problems with FF pop-up blocker, it was that before (with Norton) I did not see the pop-up blocked bar and I was wondering why it continued to appear even if pop-up block was turned on in KIS.

I know pop-up blocker in FF isn't the best (thanks for the extension links), but for the moment is good for me, and KIS is doing a great work in "blocking" other things, so I'm going on using them...

Thanks... :)

Well, I just changed some things in my pc, so I stayed offline for I while then I forgot about this...

I'm still using both Firefox and KIS, I don't have problems with FF pop-up blocker, it was that before (with Norton) I did not see the pop-up blocked bar and I was wondering why it continued to appear even if pop-up block was turned on in KIS.

I know pop-up blocker in FF isn't the best (thanks for the extension links), but for the moment is good for me, and KIS is doing a great work in "blocking" other things, so I'm going on using them...

Thanks... :)

Good choice B);)

I was just kidding, Blurr... I don't see a pop-up because I have scripts disabled. If Ron says there's a pop-up there, there is one, trust me... :)

After I had posted, I realized that I should have been more clear. The Sunbelt-Kerio PFW popup-blocker module is the one that doesn't like the ads on the KL home page. Whether they are popups, banners, flashing ads, whatever, I am not sure. I believe that some of my other anti-annoyance measures also don't like them. (I can temporarily over-ride the S-K popup blocker by holding down CTRL while loading the page.) At any rate, here is what the KL Home Page source looks like with "popups" blocked by S-K.

(...)

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - script has been inserted by KPF -->

<script type="text/javascript">

(... dozens of lines of Javascript code ...)

</script>

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - end of the script inserted by KPF -->

(...)

</body>

</html>

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - script has been appended by KPF -->

<iframe id="kpfLogFrame" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.html?START_LOG" onload="destroyIframe(this)" style="display:none;">

</iframe>

<script type="text/javascript">

<!--

nopopups();

//-->

</script>

<!-- Kerio Popup Killer - end of the script appended by KPF-->

As I said, I found this to be somewhat humorous. Now that KL provides anti-annoyance measures (IE only, unfortunately), I would think that KL would not want to get into the business of tagging advertisements on other web sites as "annoying", and then use the same tactics on their own web site. Just a thought.

Ron :)