Sign in to follow this  
Lobster Man

Frequent display of email-scanning icon in system tray despite no email activity?

On windows7-64, I notice very often that the "K" icon in my system tray blinks with the email icon, despite no email activity on my system. I don't even have a mail client configured at present, and mostly use gmail for the few occasions where I do use email. Is this something that I should be concerned about, or is it just scanning some sort of other traffic as email?

Disabling the email scanning module and restarting has not helped and this icon keeps showing up in the system tray, I would really like if someone could clarify for me what is going on?

Edited by Viper2026

Hi Viper2026, are you absolutely sure that it is the email scanning icon you are seeing? Would you be able to post a screenshot (XP, Vista, 7) or a snip (Vista, 7) of that when it occurs?

How to take and post screenshot: PrtSc (Print screen) key (upper right part of keyboard)> open Paint (Start > All programs > Accessories) > Edit > Paste, File > Save as (jpeg or

png, Not bmp). When replying, Browse > click once to select file > Open > Upload > add reply.

According to the help documents distributed with KAV2011 this indicates e-mail scanning

5sBED.png

But like I said I am not running any kind of email client....so I suspect either it is scanning some sort of other network traffic or there is some sort of malware active and undetected that is sending out emails?

It seems to happen sometimes more frequently if I am running network intensive applications like my usenet news reader, and the icon only flashes quickly for a second (it was somewhat difficult to get the screenshot from above)

http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...7e88d765b03f0b7

I'm hoping it's nothing, but the fact that disabling the email scanning module does not stop the icon from appearing from time to time makes me kind of uneasy.

The icon also flashes when IM-clients are being in use from my experience (aka Protocoller, except for HTTP traffic).

The icon also flashes when IM-clients are being in use from my experience (aka Protocoller, except for HTTP traffic).

Is this independent of the mail anti virus module being active?