aditibhargava

Unable to uninstall Kaspersky Pure trial version

Hi,

I had installed the 30 day trial version of Kaspersky pure. The 30 day period is now over and i wanted to uninstall it. However, the un-installation process is hanging. The un-installation wizard shows "Remove Drivers" and the wizard does not move ahead.

Can someone please help me out with this. I also tried using the "Kaspersky Lab Products Remover ver 1.1.155" But while trying to uninstall KS pure, the product remover itself hangs.

I am attaching a screenshot. It might help.

Thanks

post-280377-1282585117_thumb.png

Welcome. Did you try right click the red K icon and Exit, first?

Make sure you have your Activation Code handy first, then (if applicable) right click the K icon and select Exit, then uninstall Kaspersky> reboot, then run the removal tool:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Download and extract it to your C:\ drive (so its located in c:\kavremover). Scroll down in the linked instructions and select All Known Products. Reboot after tool use.

Then download a fresh distributive of the installer from links contained here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=177856

You will need your Activation Code after install > reboot.

If still no go, try removal tool in Safe mode.

If still no go, try removal tool in Safe mode.

I experience exactly the same as AditiB describes, the app hangs with “Removing drivers”. I have waited for an hour, it does not help (but the PURE installation is somewhat destroyed, has to be rolled back). I have tried Kavremover, both in normal and safe mode. Patiently waited for the program to stop. It always hangs with DrvInstaller.exe (InfoWatch CryptoStorage SDK driver installer) as the running process.

I have now noticed the log created by Kavremover. The logging ends after less than 60 secs. Extracts from the log:

Kaspersky Removal Tool 1.0.179

KLeaner initialized

OS Platform = NT, version = 6.1.7601, 64 bit

KLeaner is looking in C:\Users\Compaq\AppData\Local\Temp\jkbasuy1\xsxfr\ for *.ini...

file found: df0.ini

Watch thread started

This OS is not supported

no detect

found Kaspersky PURE/CRYSTAL 9 x64

file found: df21.ini

RegOpenKey64BitAware(SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Password Manager) ->

RegOpenKeyEx(SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\Kaspersky Password Manager) failed. Error 2: The system was unable to find the specified file

A lot of RegOpenKeyEx commands with this Error 2!

The log tells me that the KL product has started DrvInstaller.exe:

Crypto Storage location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InfoWatch\CryptoStorage

Crypto Storage Root location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InfoWatch

The log ends with:

(+) TRY TO RUN MSIEXEC

I need help! :pray:

I am running a licensed version of PURE 9.1.0.124

Edited by JohnH2O

You're welcome. You do not have enough ram to continue.

Please add another two GB of ram. You have 64-bit Windows 7 with only 2 GB of ram. That is like the Navy buying the biggest aircraft carrier that they can afford, and then putting a Piper Cub on it.

Your GSI report shows that PURE is fully installed. After you add another 2 GB of ram, do this:

1. Make sure you have your Activation Code handy.

2. If you can, disable Kaspersky self defense, located in the Settings. If you can't, skip this step.

3. If you can, right click the red K icon and Exit. If you can't, skip this step.

4. If you can, uninstall Kaspersky normally > reboot. If you can't, skip this step.

5. Run the removal tool in Safe mode (tap F-8 key when booting up to get to Safe mode) http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463 Select what specific product is shown.

When the tool completes, don't reboot. Instead, run the removal tool again. Select All known products this time, if a specific product is not shown. Reboot after running the tool for the final time.

If still no go, run the gsi utility again, to create a new gsi report, and then please post the link to the new gsi report.

Please add another two GB of ram.

I'll give it a try. I know that KL states 2GB to be the minimum memory capacity when running 64 bits Windows.

You have 64-bit Windows 7 with only 2 GB of ram. That is like the Navy buying the biggest aircraft carrier that they can afford, and then putting a Piper Cub on it.

Oh, I trusted HP/Compaq when I bought this computer less than 12 months ago. With my first PC we counted the ram with KBs; then it became MBs, now it is GBs. I have never had a computer with such a memory capacity; but still this is the cheapest PC I have had. The world goes forward...

I prefer to be ready to install the next release of PURE with the 2012-engine, and I always prefer a clean installation (not on top of the previous one).

It's beyond me why reputable pc vendors are shipping 64bit systems with less than 4-6Gb installed, the whole point of 64bit is that it is not limited to 3GB like the 32bit version. My system (64bit) for example is never lower than 1.5GB in use...and have occationally topped 7GB when working!

Anyway enough of the "rant"....John should be perfectly able to uninstall normally as he has 800mb avalable ram. So i would follow richbuff's step now and upgrade later. Reboot the pc and when it's settled down uncheck the selfprotection, exit PURE and uninstall via rich's steps.

Thank you, guys, it is a pleasure to be able to harvest from your knowledge and experience.

I have today ordered a 2 GB ram extension, in any case more ram cannot do any hurt! (My dealer was unsure whether my processor, AMD Athlon II x 2, was able to handle more than 4 GB ram.)

However, I am not quite sure whether more ram will eliminate my problems. I have now focused on my memory resources; as Don Pelotas says, my GSI-report shows 800 MB available. Normally I have more than 900 MB available (uploaded screenshot). If I quit PURE with KPM, the available memory increases to 1070 MB. I expected to have more free memory in safe mode, but no, only 983 MB (graphic mode). However, with safe mode/command line prompt I achieved 1346 MB free.

I have already tried Kavremover in safe mode, but whatever I do, I have no success. And the PURE installation is destroyed. The background for my wish to uninstall, is that I have had problems with KPM and the FF plugin. Last week I communicated with the support team several times. They asked me to try to uninstall/reinstall PURE. I have informed them about my uninstall problems, and I am looking forward to their reply (I have given more details to the support team).

My first contact with the support team a week ago, was disappointing, but their follow up has been satisfying. Despite my uninstall problems, I am happy to learn that Kaspersky's support service now is better than it was back in 2005.

post-134351-1320080261_thumb.jpg

You say the PURE install is destroyed, then try to reinstall it and reboot. Did you uncheck the self protection BEFORE you tried to uninstall this way:

Uninstall PURE, reboot and run this tool: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463, use the option "Remove all known products" in the tool.

Might even be worth a reboot after unchecking the selfdefense and before doing anything.

Might even be worth a reboot after unchecking the selfdefense and before doing anything.

Yes, I have tried to disable self defense before the uninstall.

You inspired me to perform another try:

Disabled self-defense & autorun, exit PURE (and KPM). Booted into Safe Mode with CMD-line prompt, after 1 min I had 1491 MB available memory (used 16%)

Started Kavremover v 1.0.179 from C: root. PURE/Crystal is the ONLY menu option. Clicked <Remove>, the text "Removing.." is displayed.

After a while a Windows message box appears:

"KAV Removal Tool has stopped working. Some problems occured and the program has stopped to function as it should. The program is going to be closed, and you will be notified if a solution is available."

Clicked <Close program>.

Restarted Kavremover, same result.

Rebooted into Safe Mode, startet Kavremover, same result.

Normal boot, started PURE. This time the installation was NOT destroyed, no rollback with 2 reboots was necesarry. The KPM works as a licensed version (not in read only mode).

I have uploaded the log (kavremvr 2011-11-01 10-00-56 (pid 1684).log). The text "Error 2: Systemet finner ikke angitt fil." means "The system cannot find the specified file".

A new trial:

Disabled self defense, exit from PURE. Reinstalling PURE on top of the existing installation. No problems at all, reboot, activation procedure automatically completed (exp date is OK), updated db from local source. KPM is ver 4.1.1.215 working well (Supported browsers: Firefox plugin installed).

Then I tried this:

Disabled Self Defense, exit PURE, Control Panel: Uninstall PURE

"Same procedure as last time..": Process stops with "Remove drivers". Clicked <Cancel>, confirmed, nothing happens.

Ctrl-Alt-Del: "PURE Uninstall is working", forced reboot.

After reboot: PURE says Some components are not working (Firewall/Network Attack Blocker/Network Monitor), asked to reboot.

After this reboot all components work. Expiration date is OK (activated), but KPM )v4.1.1.215) has to be reconfigured, opens in read-only mode (unlicensed).

Once again I have to recover from today's partition backup. After the recovery: PURE is healthy.

I am glad I am a retirement pensioner now. Computer problems during the working day are frustrating.

I have not heard anything more from the support team. Don Pelotas, if you can give them a kick (SRF 313550787) I should be happy. It it is outside your privileges as a moderator, I understand that.

kavremvr_2011_11_01_10_00_56__pid_1684_.log

I have sent more detailed information to the support team (including the fact that Kavremover generates a Windows application error), but unfortunately I have not received any support since 27th October.

Maybe some forum member can answer this question:

Is InfoWatch CryptoStorage Protected objects controller service installed by PURE? (That is the driver which stops to work during the PURE uninstallation.)

If I am not able to resolve the uninstall issue and there is no support to achieve, the only way seems to be to reformat the drive and find another security product.

You do not have enough ram to continue.

Please add another two GB of ram. You have 64-bit Windows 7 with only 2 GB of ram. That is like the Navy buying the biggest aircraft carrier that they can afford, and then putting a Piper Cub on it.

The Piper Cub is now replaced by a F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (I now have 6 GB of ram). Sorry, to no avail. The Uninstall app stops to work. Kavremover stops to work. ….. :wub: :aa:

I will contact a KL person and alert them to this topic, after we try one more time, and then review a new GSI report.

In Normal mode, follow these directions. Please skip any steps that do not apply:

1. PURE > Settings > disable Self Defense. This setting is located in Settings > General > Self defense > uncheck it > ok. Skip this step if you can't do it.

2. Right click the red K tray icon and Exit. Skip this step if you can't do it.

3. Uninstall PURE via Windows control panel > programs > reboot. Skip this step if you can't do it.

4. Make sure you have your Activation Code handy.

5. Run the removal tool in Safe mode (tap F-8 key when booting up to get to Safe mode) http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463 Select what specific product is shown.

When the tool completes, don't reboot. Instead, run the removal tool again. Select All known products this time, if a specific product is not shown. Reboot after running the tool for the final time.

6. Please run the gsi utility again, to create a new gsi report, and then please post the link to the new gsi report, so we can see if it looks like it is completely removed.

If your new report shows PURE is not removed, I will alert a KL person to this topic.

Thanks for your concern, Richard. I have followed your prescription once more (the tenth time?):

1. Self defense disabled

2. Exit from PURE

3. Uninstalled via CP, Hangs on “Remove drivers”. Task manager tells that DrvInstaller.exe process is working; 49% processor usage. Created dumpfile DrvInstaller.DMP, size 44.1 MB. Stopped the process, Error message 1722 from PURE, “Rolling back actions” started automatically, message “Uninstallation interrupted. You must reboot”, <OK>, “Start application repair and reboot” (red message box), IF I now rebooted in normal mode, PURE would be repaired, but the password manager should work in read only mode.

(4. Activation code OK)

5. Instead I rebooted in Safe mode, started Kavremover, Only “PURE/Crystal” is available in the drop-down menu, process stopped, the app stopped to work (win msg box), log is created kavremvr 2011-11-17 08-39-51 (pid 1708).log

Started kavremover once more, stopped to work, kavremvr 2011-11-17 08-45-22 (pid 1264).log

The logs end with:

1264:0238 08:45:45.104 (+) TRY TO RUN MSIEXEC

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 ->msiReturnCode: 1601

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 ->Begin: If Error while uninstalling

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 (+) RUN ASSASSINATEALL SECTION

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 Processing section assassinateall...

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 stopping process "avp" with method 0...

1264:0238 08:45:45.198 RegOpenKey64BitAware(software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\perflib9) ->

My third try with kavremover 1.0.179: The same result, kavremvr 2011-11-17 08-50-59 (pid 1636).log

6. Used GSI 4.1.0.243 to create new report in safe mode, uploaded to http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...19af46&ms=0

Completed system c-recovery from True Image backup; now back with a working PURE/KPM.

I do not want to be perceived as a ranting person, but I encourage all of you who have experienced the uninstall trouble, to tell about it here in the forum. AditiB and nestle34, have you resolved your issues? And NedWilliams, have you now received a reply from the UK customer support?

I have opened a support ticket (global support team); yesterday I received this answer:

Sorry If I seem misinformed but you say you have a backup state with kaspersky PURE and KPM working, is there any reason you cannot continue from this backup, does it stop working suddenly? also for future references please exit kaspersky when creating backup/restore points by going to the taskbar icon in the buttom right corner of your screen next to the clock and click the red K and chose "exit".

In the meantime I'll look over the log files to see if anything stands out.

I am really happy to have my TrueImage system-backup which enables me to recover a computer with a working PURE/KPM. But I am not comfortable with not being able to uninstall the app when the up-coming new release is available. I never install a new release “on top”.

It is my hope that the support team does not forget my issue. I shall try to be patient.

I have increased the PC's memory, now 6 GB, and I have updated some drivers. My GSI report from today: http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...cc75921bf2fd834

I do not want to be perceived as a ranting person, but I encourage all of you who have experienced the uninstall trouble, to tell about it here in the forum. AditiB and nestle34, have you resolved your issues? And NedWilliams, have you now received a reply from the UK customer support?

And now jester376 has become a member of the club: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1758861

Welcome, jester376; more members = more focus from KL on this issue?

Maybe some forum member can answer this question:

Is InfoWatch CryptoStorage Protected objects controller service installed by PURE? (That is the driver which stops to work during the PURE uninstallation.)

Lucian Bara knew it, of course.

Maybe my uninstall/kavremover fails because I have an encrypted container? In lack of other suggestions, I tried on my old XP computer: I created an encrypted container, started the PURE uninstall process (via the CP). It worked fluently; reinstalled PURE, the encrypted container is available.

At least I learned that the InfoWatch CryptoStorage is a part of PURE. During the uninstall the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InfoWatch (with subfolder CryptoStorage) disappeared.

I experience exactly the same as AditiB describes, the app hangs with “Removing drivers”. I have waited for an hour, it does not help (but the PURE installation is somewhat destroyed, has to be rolled back).

I had the same problem as above. After reinstalling Pure, I tried uninstalling in Safe Mode but the installer wouldn't even run, so I tried the Kaspersky Removal Tool in Safe Mode and it worked first time. Just make sure that you're not trying to uninstall a failed uninstall. Make sure to reinstall Pure first. If you haven't tried this yet, hopefully it will work for you too.

I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but after uninstalling Pure in SM with the KRT, my laptop alerted me that no drivers were installed for my synaptic pointing device and automatically reinstalled them. Maybe that's why the installer got hung up at "removing drivers"?

Thank you, ann0yed, I appreciate your post. No, Microsoft's Windows installer cannot been run in safe mode. I have tried KRT several times, both in normal mode and safe mode with/without graphic mode. I have reinstalled Visual C++ run time environment, I have uninstalled OpenOffice (with extended use of VC++)

Just make sure that you're not trying to uninstall a failed uninstall.

That is a good advice; however I have already tried to reinstall on top. To no avail. I have tried to manually delete all files (normal mode/safe mode); I was not able to delete two ocx-files in the Sandbox directory. I then reinstalled PURE, and once again tried to uninstall (with reboots between all operations). Nothing helps. I have saved 34 KRT logs! The log always tells

Parsing ini files data...

Ini files data parsed, 24 files parsed (df0.ini-df23.ini)

Dumping data to files... , and when reading the df*.ini files:

This OS is not supported (several times)

The OS is recognized to be:

OS Platform = NT, version = 6.1.7601, 64 bit

Both 'User language' and 'UI language detected' are correctly set (20/1 and 9/2)

Only a KL software engineer can tell what KRT is looking for before 'This OS is not supported' is logged. At 27-10-2011 I informed the support team about the uninstall-hang. I had an answer 9-11 and 17-11, but still not a solution. The last reply indicates they are happy that I have a system backup with a working PURE/KPM, the they wrote “In the meantime I'll look over the log files to see if anything stands out.”

I am still waiting for a solution. I have promised to be patient. How patient do you - forum members and moderators - think I should be? 0

I need your advice.

:dash1: :bt: :pray:

I have bumped this to the proper people. This should not be happening.

Edited by Whizard

Now a week has passed since Whizard bumped this topic. The same day I placed a complaint in My Kaspersky Account.

The support team is still very silent... I have asked again today:

Please, let me know:

1. Are you working with this uninstall-case?

or

2. Do you just want to ignore me?

I want to thank richbuff, Don Pelotas and Whizard for their efforts to help me.

I have offered my contribution, I shall do any test the support team want, submit logs not already submitted, Kavremover's ini-files, export registry entries. Whatever they want. But they have no wishes. I am not the only one with this uninstall problem. I have PM'ed the other guys, but the only response I have received, tells that a second run of Kavremover removed the PURE app. At the same time KL lost a customer. The other users with the uninstall problem have most likely already left KL. Is this the way KL want to resolve their problems?

I am now going to PM 3 persons in KL Russia:

After 6 years as a satisfied Kaspersky Lab customer, I have experienced an unsatisfactory support when I need it. I am unable to uninstall PURE before I perform a fresh install of a new release. It seems you completely neglect me. As a businessman I have served my customers during a life time of work. I have never ignored my customers like you do. Are you proud of your company?

Why all this excitation? It is less demanding to reformat the system drive. Surely I will need more than three hours to ensure I have backup of all important data, to reinstall all my applications and so on. My pain is that I like the Kaspersky products; I am sure it is one of the best security solutions. This is a high-tech application, it is likely that some users regularly need support. That is a part of the business.

I have a working PURE with several months remaining of the license period. Before I start a reformat, I have to do some research to find what firewall/anti-virus system I shall go for now. The support ability is one of the factors which is important to me.

Sorry, I do not know anything more I can do in “the internal system” to push the support team. I will still tell everybody that you should keep away from KL if you sometime need support. Though they have a friendly user forum.

*** SUCCESS!!!!!

Some kind guys have helped me, given me access to an unpublished release of Kavremover. This time Kavremover finished it's job! (I reinstalled PURE and did a second test with the remover. Success once more. Now I am prepared to do a fresh install when the next version of PURE is released.)

I have been notified that KL now knows why the uninstall hangs on “Remove drivers” (a bug in a driver). Obviously there is a workaround; I am sure that KL is going to inform properly about the workaround.

Thanks to all my helpers – and to KL developers.

:bravo:

*** SUCCESS!!!!!

Some kind guys have helped me, given me access to an unpublished release of Kavremover. This time Kavremover finished it's job! (I reinstalled PURE and did a second test with the remover. Success once more. Now I am prepared to do a fresh install when the next version of PURE is released.)

I have been notified that KL now knows why the uninstall hangs on “Remove drivers” (a bug in a driver). Obviously there is a workaround; I am sure that KL is going to inform properly about the workaround.

Thanks to all my helpers – and to KL developers.

:bravo:

Hey mate

Im having the same issues with the uninstalling, any chance you can guide me through how you managed to uninstall the kaspersky pure 2012?

i tried everything i could think of and no success.. if you can send me a link to that unpublished release of Kavremover that will do the job i would greatly appreciate it.

Help !!!

At the time I was busy with the uninstall (December 2011), the published Kavremover had ver no 1.0.179.0. Through a private link I got access to ver 1.0.196. I am sorry, but I can not give you the private link. However, 9 days ago I checked the version available at http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463. This file's properties is ver 1.0.208.0, in other words, it seems to be newer than the version that helped me. (The website still says “kavremover.exe utility version 1.0.179” in the file kavremover.txt.) Have you tried this version?

After two successful removes, I suggest these steps:

* Boot into Safe mode

* Start Kavremover, probably you can only select PURE/Crystal.

* Wait at least 30 minutes before you eventually stop the process (through Task Manager). [in my case, the computer needed 19 minutes before the message "Remove operation finished, you need to reboot your computer." was displayed.]

* Repeat the Kavremover run; this time you might be able to select "All known products".

I wish you luck! Please give feedback. :)

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.