Sign in to follow this  
slowdive

Kaspersky and grabit (newsgroups)

Hi.

I'm having problems using kaspersky pure vs grabit (newsgroups).

Here's a picture:

kasperskyvsgrabit.png

The 1st 3 quarters are with kaspersky on.

My speed keeps drooping to 0 all the time.

The moment i shut down kaspersky everything goes back to normal (last quarter)

Using windows 7 professional x86 updated.

No problem when i use other security programs, instead of kaspersky pure.

Edited by slowdive

Make sure the grabit executable is in the Trusted group. Also, enable "Do not scan network traffic".

I'm seeing huge CPU spikes with KIS 11.0.2.556 and GrabIt. As soon as I start to download, the AVP.exe cpu hogging issues rears its ugly head, consuming 80% to 100% CPU usage. As soon as I pause GrabIt, the CPU spike disappears. Edit: I noted the scanning icon associated with mail was flashing while GrabIt was in use - even though my email client wasn't open.

I never had this issue with KIS 2010 and I have the same settings with KIS '11 as I did with '10 (GrabIt added to the exclusion rules/not scanning network traffic). KIS 2011 has been a huge disappointment so far & this issue further adds to my frustrations as KIS 2011 does a lot of things better than the '10 version.

Cheers.

Edited by TJP

Soon there will be a successor to the current .400.

When it officially appears on the Product Downloads website, please clean install it, and post back with any changes noted with this issue.

Hi Richbuff,

I'm using .556 at the moment (with patch a) ;)

Sort of at a loss regarding the CPU spike. I tried everything to kill the issue - last resort will be to modify the file anti-virus to pause when GrabIt is being used. I think this is rather risky (even though I'm not d/l anything warez related!) but if it prevents cpu spikes, I'll do it.

Any ideas as to why the scanning icon changes to an envelope while GrabIt is being used?

Cheers.

It is not currently Released.

with patch a
Beta item, and not released yet, and currently undergoing further modification and testing, so you probably do not have the current test version of patch a.

Therefore, when the anticipated successor to the current .400 officially appears on the Product Downloads website, please clean install it, and post back with any changes noted with this issue.

Hello Richbuff,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Interesting to read version .556 has been pulled as I downloaded .556 when it was officially released. Since I follow the beta forum more closely than the general help section (as I don't usually require help), I also downloaded patch a.

I think I may have deduced my issue. Within the mail anti-virus settings (mail anti-virus/custom settings/additional/connectivity), there is a check box to scan POP3/SMTP/NNTP/IMAP traffic. If the checkbox is ticked, the mail anti-virus "scans mail stream using these protocols before these messages arrive on the receiving computer" - taken from the help guide.

As newsgroup data are NNTP traffic, all the files are being scanned before they arrive on my computer. My scan settings method settings are set to medium with heuristic analysis enabled, little wonder the CPU spikes appear. Removing the tick sees the issue disappear.

Cheers.

You're welcome. If unticked,

If the box is unchecked, Mail Anti-Virus scans email messages only after they arrive on the receiving computer.
Better after than never.

I Forgot to add that version .556 is still available on various websites, such as softpedia

If version .556 has been official retracted, someone representing KL might want to ask them to take these mirrored versions down.

Cheers.

edit: non-official download source link disabled.

Edited by richbuff

I have the same problem.

Resolved by:

In kaspersky configuration network chek scan selected port.

And in grabit modify server propreties for have one port no scan in the list of kaspersky port.

Thank you for the information Duvernois, network port scans was an area I'd completely overlooked.

As suggested, I went into the network settings (originally, I had KIS set to scan all ports) and unchecked the tick box for NNTP traffic and no more CPU spikes. This is clearly a glitch with KIS 2011 version .556 as KIS 2010 (with a.b.c.d.e.f patches installed) works without any CPU spikes when I have KIS set to scan all ports (both the '10 and '11 versions have GrabIt added to the exclusions/trusted applications/do not scan network traffic).

Apologies to Richbuff too, didn't realise that linking to a Softpedia Kaspersky search was a no-no.

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.