I just received an email from Kaspersky Lab (news@americas.kasperskylabs.com), warning me that my subscription "has expired" ... that I should "update your protection with Kaspersky Kaspersky [sic] Internet Security 2010 - only 49.95. Renew now.

My 2010 Kaspersky subscription does not expire until July, and last I checked, it's running fine; so of course I didn't click on any link.

Should I be worried about this?

Thanks for your fast reply ... I thought that might be the case.

just thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth--i just now recieved the same email--looking quite official but never having had anything like that from kaspersky i thought better of it and did not reply--btw--my official expiration date is 11/17/2010 so apparently the game is spreading--

I got one also. I figured as much.... thought I'd take a quick look here. Glad to see the timely information on this forum.

I got that mail too, and it looked official enough that it made me track down and check the expiration dates for my various machines (since I have two licenses that expire at different times).

I wonder how the phishers were able to determine who among us is using KIS in order to target actualy KIS users with this e mail.....

Hi,

It looks like an actual email from KLab Americas. Perhaps they sent the email to you when they were not supposed to?

Hi,

It looks like an actual email from KLab Americas. Perhaps they sent the email to you when they were not supposed to?

that is why these scams work so well with the uninformed victims. phishing emails are meant to look like the real thing.

I have never had a subscription renewal email telling me to take action from Kaspersky and would not expect to receive one unless I asked them to send me a reminder.

Always go by what the actual program says. never trust unsolicited emails.

Windows Live Mail filed it for me, right to junk :-)

Hello everyone: Just checked for messages and had the same email. I use the KIS Mail Dispatcher which makes quick work of deleting the message (I'm using Windows Live Mail with Windows 7). I also created a spam rule in Windows Live Mail that matches the KIS spam rule, just in case I miss something - sends it right to the Junk folder. Seems like scammers are really busy these days! BC

I just got two of the same emails.

The problem: The email address that these mails were sent to is one I *only* used once, to register with Kaspersky. I am 100% sure that I never used that email address anywhere else (I have a catchall email domain and make up new addresses any time I register anywhere on the web).

The only two ways for the scammers to get these addresses would have been to either steal them from Kaspersky, or directly from my PC (which is protected by Kaspersky, so both would count as Kaspersky security fail). So right now I really hope that there's just some mass-mailer at Kaspersky malfunctioning, and not something more serious.

I just got two of the same emails.

The problem: The email address that these mails were sent to is one I *only* used once, to register with Kaspersky. I am 100% sure that I never used that email address anywhere else (I have a catchall email domain and make up new addresses any time I register anywhere on the web).

The only two ways for the scammers to get these addresses would have been to either steal them from Kaspersky, or directly from my PC (which is protected by Kaspersky, so both would count as Kaspersky security fail). So right now I really hope that there's just some mass-mailer at Kaspersky malfunctioning, and not something more serious.

Is this a useful question to pursue? "Are non-Kaspersky users getting these e-mails, or just Kaspersky users?" I will post this on LinkedIn to see what responses I get.

well, i opened a new thread about this also, didn't see this one at the time, but I wonder the same thing... how did these scammers get our email addresses? I'm keep my email as safe as possible, and I understand its impossible to keep it 100% protected, but still. If its only Kaspersky customers, then something is wrong there.

Am I right in assuming all of you purchased the product via the e-store?

If so then it is equally likely to be someone at the e-merchant side, i.e. digital river or whoever processed your particular payment info leaking email and details of which product has been purchased.

If this escalates further then Kaspersky will have to look into it sooner rather than later anyhow.

Am I right in assuming all of you purchased the product via the e-store?

If so then it is equally likely to be someone at the e-merchant side, i.e. digital river or whoever processed your particular payment info leaking email and details of which product has been purchased.

If this escalates further then Kaspersky will have to look into it sooner rather than later anyhow.

Now this makes sense to me! Yes, I did purchase through element 5. I wll think long and hard before I renew my license again this way. I'm wondering about the credit card information being stored there. I think Kaspersky should look into this immediately.

Looks like a geniune email to me, tbh.

I think they were probably sent out a month too early or something...but the link posted leads to a genuine renewal page.

I think they were probably sent out a month too early or something...but the link posted leads to a genuine renewal page.

This is possible Baz^^ - I received a reminder to renew in March from Kaspersky's Benelux office, although my subscription runs out at the end of May! Last year, not knowing any better, I renewed when I got the same message and lost nearly a month's subscription. If it is not Kasperksy's intention to deprive subscription days in encouraging customers to renew too early, it should stop this practice. It's hardly good PR.

Update:

I purchased from Digital River. I could understand "a month too early" but not 543 days too early. Attempting to visit "americas.kasperskylabs.com" resolves to "www.emailvision.com" - an e-mail marketer; but this may be a deception as well. If the "buy" link goes to a valid renewal page, is it possible that affiliate code has been hijacked in some way?

From a restricted question - "respond if you do NOT use Kaspersky and DID get such an e-mail" - to over 70M professionals (of whom a few hundred in a variety of time zones actively participate in LinkedIn Q&A), I have so far gotten 6 responses saying "not me" in 16 hours.

This is of course far from conclusive.

Hey All,

I got one of those emails and I'm using a competitors product right now.

Cnon

OK this is old news by now, but for what it's worth, and because I said I would do it:

I just closed my question on LinkedIn after 6 days - it was getting old there too - and got only 8 responses which did not conform to my exclusive request: "Did anyone, who has not used Kaspersky, get one of the (described) bogus e-mails?"

Only one respondent seemed affirmative, except that he said he had recently used a trial version and had not given out his e-mail address. So unless anybody objects, I'm done with this.

well, im bumping this back up, because I just got another one today, with the Password Manager app. Same type of links... and as like most of you, I wonder the same thing, is it just us kav users, or others as well.

As I said before...its highly unlikely this is any sort of phishing. The links lead to the digital river estore for Kaspersky renewals. There must obviously be some mistake in the database for renewal reminders.

Update:

I purchased from Digital River. I could understand "a month too early" but not 543 days too early. Attempting to visit "americas.kasperskylabs.com" resolves to "www.emailvision.com" - an e-mail marketer; but this may be a deception as well. If the "buy" link goes to a valid renewal page, is it possible that affiliate code has been hijacked in some way?

From a restricted question - "respond if you do NOT use Kaspersky and DID get such an e-mail" - to over 70M professionals (of whom a few hundred in a variety of time zones actively participate in LinkedIn Q&A), I have so far gotten 6 responses saying "not me" in 16 hours.

This is of course far from conclusive.

I also have 235 days remaining on the subscription for 3 computers and the other 3 computer subscription has about 120 days left, so kind of early for a reminder.

Got one today. If it's from Kaspersky, use your main domain and you won't get reported as spam. If it is Phishing, I would think Kaspersky has enough weight to shut it down!

@Baz^^

That's plausible; however I just got one which isn't a renewal reminder, but an ad for a Kaspersky product which I have never used. Also I find it curious that http://americas.kasperskylabs.com/ redirects to http://www.emailvision.com/ which seems at odds with common security convention. If my bank did that, they would be history.

@schmide

This forum is on the subdomain forum.kaspersky.com and you trust it. Baz^^ may be correct; yet trust is the reason for spoofing e-mail addresses.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.