vatson

Wake on LAN doesn't work

Hello!

I'm trying to get the WoL functionality working with Admin Kit 8.0.2090. I'm doing initial testing with one PC. I can successfully wake up this PC by running wol.exe on the server where Admin Kit is installed, so I think that the PC and my network are correctly set up for WoL. However, Kaspersky Admin Kit doesn't wake up this same PC.

I have created a Virus Scan task for this specific computer. Under schedule settings I set it to run every day at a specific time, and in Advanced settings I've specified that the client should be waked up 5 minutes before the task starts.

I've been running Wireshark on the server, and I don't see it sending out any WoL packets on port 60000 at the time when it should wake the PC. When running wol.exe, I do see the packet on port 12287 going out.

I found a SQL query in another thread that I used to check (if I understand correctly) whether the MAC address of my test PC is recorded in the admin kit database:

SELECT Hosts.strDisplayName
FROM Hosts 
   LEFT OUTER JOIN hst_mac
       ON Hosts.nId = hst_mac.nId
WHERE hst_mac.strMac IS NULL

I ran this query and it didn't list the PC I'm testing with (although it did list some other PCs)

One interesting thing I noticed is that the hst_mac table lists two MAC addresses for the PC that I'm testing with

mysql> select *  from hst_mac where nidhost=46;

+-----+---------+--------------+
| nId | nIdHost | strMac       |
|  44 |      46 | 0021850F4129 |
| 747 |      46 | 00FFABE04821 |

First of these is correct MAC, whereas second is wrong. I wonder whether it is safe to manually delete one of these from the database?

I'm having the same problem and have raised it with Support - the call has been escalated but I'm waiting on an update at the moment.

We upgraded to KAK 8.0.2048 and found it wasn't working, raised it with Support then and was told it was a known issue being fixed in the next version. It is in the list of fixed issues for KAK 8.0.2090 but after upgrading again it was one of the first things we tested and there still seems to be problems.

Any updates I get back from Support I'll post here if it helps?

Any updates I get back from Support I'll post here if it helps?

Yes please!

I did some more testing, with another client which doesn't have the duplicate MAC problem described in my original post.

In admin kit I created a task of type 'Admin kit tasks' -> 'Advanced', 'Manage client computer', under settings select 'Turn on the computer'.

When I manually run this task, the client computer does wake up.

However, and this is most puzzling, I do not see any WoL packet going out of the server, when watching traffic with wireshark. I've tried using filters like this:

udp port 60000

udp port 12287

udp port 12287 or udp port 60000

dst 255.255.255.255

Also, the Virus Scan task set to wake up the computer 5 minutes before start still doesn't wake it. It's currently set to run every 1 hours.

However, and this is most puzzling, I do not see any WoL packet going out of the server, when watching traffic with wireshark.

Hmm, It seems that UDP port 7 is now used?

That's interesting you have the machine wake up when the task is run manually. I don't think that was the case for me although I might test later if I get the chance and see if it is the same.

Regarding the ports - Support asked me to test sending WOL packets over 60000, which as you know is the port previously used, and port 7. They didn't say why port 7, but you could try a filter for that maybe? I'm hoping it's not the case, but it might be that they've changed the port in this version.

Hmm, It seems that UDP port 7 is now used?

I've just replied to Support to see if there are any updates, and to confirm on port 7. If it's changed I have a whole load of switches to update...

I've just replied to Support to see if there are any updates, and to confirm on port 7. If it's changed I have a whole load of switches to update...

I do see server sending out udp/7 packets at times when it is set to wake up the client, so I'd say that's confirmed. Additionally, my yesterdays testing was flawed because during the testing the test client developed other problems which prevented it from waking up. Once these were resolved and I configured my Catalyst switch to forward udp/7 broadcasts, my test client started waking up at times when the scheduled virus scan was set to run.

Actually, the test client is now waking up even at various times when there should be no scheduled task to wake it. I haven't yet determined why this is happening.

I did some more testing, with another client which doesn't have the duplicate MAC problem described in my original post.

In admin kit I created a task of type 'Admin kit tasks' -> 'Advanced', 'Manage client computer', under settings select 'Turn on the computer'.

When I manually run this task, the client computer does wake up.

However, and this is most puzzling, I do not see any WoL packet going out of the server, when watching traffic with wireshark. I've tried using filters like this:

udp port 60000

udp port 12287

udp port 12287 or udp port 60000

dst 255.255.255.255

Also, the Virus Scan task set to wake up the computer 5 minutes before start still doesn't wake it. It's currently set to run every 1 hours.

I do not have the option in version 8.0.2090 to select "Turn on the computer" in the "manage client computer" options, maybe they removed it after they relised it doesn't work?

I do not have the option in version 8.0.2090 to select "Turn on the computer" in the "manage client computer" options, maybe they removed it after they relised it doesn't work?

I tested WOL (set to 10mins) on my test PC using a deployment task and starting the task manually, it doesn't work and it just returns the error "computer unavailable"

I tested WOL (set to 10mins) on my test PC using a deployment task and starting the task manually, it doesn't work and it just returns the error "computer unavailable"

I tested WOL again using a scheduled task and it doesn't work

I tested WOL again using a scheduled task and it doesn't work

KAV Support are still working on it, If anyone finds out if or when this will be fixed please do update everyone here.

thanks

from kav support:

the port for WOL has changed in admin kit. It is now port 7 rather than previous port 60,000.

Had a few days off but have come back to an email from KAV Support confirming the same thing about the port number changing. It looks like they forgot to put it in any release notes or send a quick email to UK Support to let them know either.

Guess I'll get updating those switches...

Had a few days off but have come back to an email from KAV Support confirming the same thing about the port number changing. It looks like they forgot to put it in any release notes or send a quick email to UK Support to let them know either.

Guess I'll get updating those switches...

I'm checking if there's any way we can change it back ourselves.

I've heard back from Support on changing the port back ourselves:

"Unfortunately not.

It’s hardcoded into the program, and can’t even be modified in the registry (I checked with developers).

I’ve raised this as a feature request though, so it should be editable in the next release."

Hi guys.

Im having a silimar problem. I can wake the computer with the WakeOnLanGui software or using the task "wake on computer" on Administration Kit.

But if I schedule, for example, the update virus database with the option "Activate computer before the task is launched...", nothing happens.

Anyone know what can I do?

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.