Hello again.

I want to install norton ghost to backup my system.

Will this program work properly with KIS?

I'm asking about it because i know that KIS and Norton internet security are not compatibile.

Have kaspersky similar probram to Norton ghost?

Thanks.

It works, but you should disable KIS when either creating or restoring a back-up image, otherwise KIS might interfere, since it has several components that watches and guards the registry and essential system files, files that Ghost will want full access to. I wouldn't even trust exclusions in this case, since it is a very thorough procedure which involves all parts of your operative system, not just a file or two.

Edited by King Grub

I always run backups from bootable media. It avoids any conflicts whatsoever. Not sure what you get with Ghost though so check to see if the bootable media can cope properly with your hardware setup otherwise it can take hours instead of minutes to backup on external drives.

shouldn't be any problem with norton ghost. it isn't an firewall or malware package so quite why it would conflict with KIS operation is beyond me.

KIS will possibly interfere in the backup process but can be disabled during backup procedures. other than that you certainly shouldn't need to uninstall it after every backup. doesn't make any sense at all.

i prefer to use acronis true image home because i can convert my backups to virtual machines and it supports my machines' hardware.

I have been using Norton Ghost 12 with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on XP Pro x86 and Ghost 15 on Windows 7 x86 without issues. Backups are created and can be verified and relied upon to recover from.

I do nothing unusual with Kaspersky in regard to Norton Ghost; in my opinion and experience, the two applications are completely compatible.

I have also used Acronis TrueImage but find Ghost much more capable.

:-)

Edited by gringopig

I can confirm problems with KIS 2011 (version 1102.5.5.6) and Norton Ghost 10 (32 bit Windows XP SP 2 etc).

Norton Ghost backups will not run with KIS enabled.

The application error log entry is:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Norton Ghost

Event Category: High Priority

Event ID: 100

Date: 10/04/2011

Time: 4:30:07 PM

User: N/A

Computer: SARAHNEC

Description:

Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of D:\, C:\. Info 60BB0158: The VSS Provider vetoed the operation. See the application event log. Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_SET_BEGIN_PREPARE) failed. Error EBAB03F1: The requested resource is in use.

Details: 0xEBAB0005

Source: Norton Ghost

This is _not_ BTW because KIS is Scanning the backup disk at the same time.

The workaround is to temporarily disable KIS (say the 1 hour disable option or whatever) and Norton Ghost backups run.

Bit of a pain for scheduled backups though .... anyone know how to set up a scheduled task to disable KIS from the command line ...?

I started a trial evaluation of Kaspersky Pure on Win7/Pro/64 a few days ago. I run Norton Ghost 14 with daily evening scheduled incremental backups (full backups monthly).

I installed KP on Oct 13, but have not tracked reboots. Usually I just put the PC in sleep mode. The automated NG14 backups ran fine Oct 13, 14 and 15. But *NOT* Oct 16. I suspect that I rebooted at least once daily during the first few days with KP, but not yesterday between the Oct15 & 16 backups. This morning I tried to reboot, but had to FORCE the NG14 tray application to stop manually before Win7 would shutdown. Upon reboot NG14 asked me if I wanted to run missed backups, which I confirmed, and they completed fine.

NG14 has a setting where you can change its performance impact. Mine is set to fast (affecting and slowing all other applications). I've never had any trouble with this, but now with KP running, maybe I could set it to a "slower" setting and try again.

My opinion: having to do *anything* special (disabling KIS or any other user "interference") is *absolutely* *NOT* acceptable. The whole reason for NG's automated scheduled backups is that it is a "set-and-forget" process. Without that backups simply do not get done the way they need to ! I understand another poster's comment about doing backups from bootable media ... to avoid any interference with the process ... but it's simply not practical. Norton has done a great job (volume shadow copying & great scheduling flexibility) to make the process painless. And that's how it should be.

In my case KP does apparently not need to be turned off or tweaked to have NG14 run it's backups (mind you I have not yet verified the integrity of the restore process since installing KP ( I have done such tests previously and successfully ) ). So that's a good thing. If the cause for not running properly last night is the fact that I need to do shutdown nightly (instead of multi-day sleep mode) ... then ok, that's something I am willing to do. But any special accomodation beyond that just to have KP run merrily together with NG14 is an absolute no-no.

So ... in summary, so far NG14 & KP run ok together. If I find more info or solution to last night's hiccup I'll post back.