Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lasercats

AU.EXE, is this dangerous.

7 posts in this topic

AU.EXE was under low restricted in my application control as a firefox helper, it has been like that for a few days. I googled it and some sights say it can be dangerous. I have scanned using KIS several times and everything thing seems ok. Is this a baddie, if so what is it? and should I just put it under untrusted applications or do I need to do more.

Right-click on it in application activity and select "Rules for application". One line reads "Path:". Check what is after that. If it is Ace Utilities, it's safe.

Right-click on it in application activity and select "Rules for application". One line reads "Path:". Check what is after that. If it is Ace Utilities, it's safe.

It's path was c:\documents and settings\hp_administrator\local settings\temp\~nsu.tmp\au_.exe...what does that mean?

Edited by lasercats

Okay, big difference here: au.exe is NOT the same thing as au_.exe. Please check your spelling to avoid misunderstandings.

That au_.exe is used by some uninstallers, Nullsoft Install System in your case. This one creates a temporary folder (nsu.tmp) when you uninstall something with this uninstaller. It is safe.

its safe......

its the left over of uninstaller of some programs....

And u can clear it out by cleaning ur temp files by using system cleanup utilities......

Edited by shukla10

Okay, big difference here: au.exe is NOT the same thing as au_.exe. Please check your spelling to avoid misunderstandings.

That au_.exe is used by some uninstallers, Nullsoft Install System in your case. This one creates a temporary folder (nsu.tmp) when you uninstall something with this uninstaller. It is safe.

my mistake..... in my haste I mistyped, I feel like such a dope lol...thanks for the help.

No worries. :) It's just that one little "_" can mean the difference between malware and something perfectly legitimate.