Hi,

I'm glad to see that new replies have been added to my post.

I wrote yesterday that "I wonder why some some people here are still doubting". Don answered :

I don't "want to hear" anything, Don. I just want to be heard.

I (and the others) just want to point out a problem, and we would appreciate that this problem be taken in consideration. We do this because we love Kaspersky and we wouldn't like to switch to another antivirus.

Your answers make me persist and sign, Don. I don't want to polemize, but it seems that you are always trying to minimize the problem.

You suspect that "99.9%" of the users don't have this problem. But how can you be so sure ?

What is the percentage of people running chkdsk from time to time ? I can imagine it's quite low...

Among the few persons who do this, how many pay attention to the process ?

Among them, how many have tried to understand the cause of the bug and noticed the relation between chekdsk freezing (or index errors) and KAV/KIS ?

How many uninstalled KAV/KIS and noticed that the problem is permanent ?

Finally, how much people decide to connect to Kaspersky's forum and try to explain the problem in another language ? (I'm French and, as you can see, my english is not very good...)

Even if we were 0,1 %, I don't think that this problem is so trivial that it shouldn't be taken into consideration...

Thank your for attention, Dan.

And thanks to the others for their perseverance.

Pascal

Persist all you want Pascal, it's an open forum. :)

But, do you expect me to agree 100% with you if i don't? I can understand why you are certain that the problem is bigger than i do, but this thread is already filled with those seeing this and making "matter of fact" statements. Time will tell us how serious this problem is.

Why you think i don't want that it shouldn't be taken into consideration is a little beyond me, i'm the one reporting this to the developers and if i was trying to "minimize or thought this was trivial and should not be taken into consideration", i can assure you there where much easier options for me to use

I'm sorry if you think i'm trying minimize or and i think you should read the thread again and maybe realize how few posts i have in this thread, if i was trying to minimize or do damage control...i would probably post a lot more don't you think?

Thank your for attention, Dan.

And thanks to the others for their perseverance

Next time you try to insult me, could you at least do me the favor of calling me by my name................it's Don. ;)

P.s. Your english is fine.

Bingo! Well partly...

The cause of my start-up sometimes completing sometimes not completing IS down to Kaspersky 6.

I found a thread on this forum which said to try deleting klogon.dll out of the system32 directory. So I did and now voila I have absolutely no problems getting into windows now and no slow down once in.

Sadly, I now have terrible connection to my wireless hub, looks like something Kaspersky's left behind. I've now manually deleted kaspersky from the install directory, the 'kl*.sys' files from the WINNT/system32/drivers directory and ran numerous registry cleaners since to remove it from my registry.

Sadly I still have the chkdsk freeze and the above problem which I lay firmly at the feet of kaspersky.

Does anybody know how to truly scrub my system of kis 6 without formatting, and without a system restore point? I tried using KAH_rem.zip and KAV_registry_cleaner.zip.

Also why the hell doesn't the uninstaller uninstall as if it did I truly belive I wouldn't of had so much trouble with this terrible program!!!

UPDATE: chkdsk after being at verifying indexes 0% for 5 minutes it has just said:

'Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 3002', which is a damn sight more than I've been seeing recently - I'll leave it going for another few hours to see if anything more comes out of it.

Those two removers are for anti-hacker & Kav 5.0, you need this one, although some have reported this doesn't help:

1. Download KisKav6Remove.zip .

2. Make a folder called Kav 6.0 on the desktop and unzip KisKavRemove into this,, then uninstall Kaspersky, reboot into safemode and run the tool (doubleclick on "avp_remove.cmd" for the 6.0 tool), reboot. Only works if installed in the default c:\ location with windows!

Where are we on getting some sort of comment from the developers on this problem? I don't want to be a FUD spreader but I too now have a chkdisk problem which is very much like what Frode reported in his first post. Chkdisk was fine when I made my earlier post in this thread. At that time I had KAV 2006 installed for two months. I had never done a full scan and had unchecked iSwift and iChecker. The reply to my post was that I should be concerned because the corruption would be particularly slow on a setup like mine but still there.

Two months have passed since that post. Now chkdsk hangs at 7% in Stage two which is what Frode reported as the FIRST symptom. I uninstalled KAV and ran chkdsk and it still hangs at 7% for several minutes and then completes normally. I have reinstalled KAV for now as I am not sure what to make of this. In the absence though of any comment from the developers, I remain worried that my files are slowly being corrupted. I have an nVidia mobo like many in this thread with the problem. I am still using KAV but I am concerned enough, particularly because of the silence of the developers, that I have recently mentioned this apparent problem on other sites. I have suggested that users not do full routine scans and that they turn off iChecker and iSwift until Kaspersky addresses this issue.

As I said in the beginning, I don't want to spread FUD. Several users have uninstalled KAV and AVS after reading my comments and then reading this thread and then running chkdsk and finding that they too have a chkdsk problem. But I don't know what those of us who are seeing a problem with chkdsk after having KAV installed for awhile should do. Is this a serious problem or not? KAV is the best scanner and I can live with the chkdsk problem as it is now. But what if this is just the beginning of corruption? The most worrisome aspect is that the problem doesn't go away after uninstalling KAV.

Kaspersky needs to speak up on this.

Where are we on getting some sort of comment from the developers on this problem? I don't want to be a FUD spreader but I too now have a chkdisk problem which is very much like what Frode reported in his first post. Chkdisk was fine when I made my earlier post in this thread. At that time I had KAV 2006 installed for two months. I had never done a full scan and had unchecked iSwift and iChecker.  The reply to my post was that I should be concerned because the corruption would be particularly slow on a setup like mine but still there.

Two months have passed since that post. Now chkdsk hangs at 7% in Stage two which is what Frode reported as the FIRST symptom. I uninstalled KAV and ran chkdsk and it still hangs at 7% for several minutes and then completes normally. I have reinstalled KAV for now as I am not sure what to make of this. In the absence though of any comment from the developers, I remain worried that my files are slowly being corrupted. I have an nVidia mobo like many in this thread with the problem. I am still using KAV but I am concerned enough, particularly because of the silence of the developers, that I have recently mentioned this apparent problem on other sites.  I have suggested that users not do full routine scans and that they turn off iChecker and iSwift until Kaspersky addresses this issue.

As I said in the beginning, I don't want to spread FUD. Several users have uninstalled KAV and AVS after reading my comments and then reading this thread and then running chkdsk and finding that they too have a chkdsk problem. But I don't know what those of us who are seeing a problem with chkdsk after having KAV installed for awhile should do. Is this a serious problem or not? KAV is the best scanner and I can live with the chkdsk problem as it is now. But what if this is just the beginning of corruption? The most worrisome aspect is that the problem doesn't go away after uninstalling KAV.

Kaspersky needs to speak up on this.

I ran Chkdsk after uninstalling AOL AVS, and as far as I can tell no hang up other than it takes awhile to begin phase two before the scan begins, which i believe is normal. Also it only takes about 20 minutes or less for the whole process to take place on my PC, so hopefully this is a good sign. I must admit I'm not one to jump ship right away, but I as I said I have uninstalled AVS for now until I hear something from someone at Kaspersky about this. I remember reading the Zone Labs Forums and seeing the mounting anger because no one from that Company addressed ZA's problems. I'm surely not comparing this with all of the ones with that product, but like many of the ZA Free users who were going to purchase the paid version of that product, but stopped using the free version and didn't because of the troubles. I too was considering buying KAV 6.0, but have now stopped using AVS and am no longer sure I would want to pay for the Full Product unless I hear from someone within the company on this matter.

Edited by duke1959

Hi,

I'm tired of theses answers :

"People with chkdsk problem are a minority"

"You have a problem ? Personaly, I don't"

"OK, you have this problem. But... hum... are you really sure ?"

"Sorry, but I believe only what I see"

Well... some people have no problem, OK. :)

But WE all have the same problem, here.

Maybe we should try to determine our common point, by enumerating the hadware & software installed on our PC ?

Pascal

(I'll be back...)

Hi,

I'm tired of theses answers :

"People with chkdsk problem are a minority"

"You have a problem ? Personaly, I don't"

"OK, you have this problem. But... hum... are you really sure ?"

"Sorry, but I believe only what I see"

Well... some people have no problem, OK.  :)

But WE all have the same problem, here.

Maybe we should try to determine our common point, by enumerating the hadware & software installed on our PC ?

Pascal

(I'll be back...)

All I know is on my Son's PC which never had Kaspersky or AVS installed, it only takes about 4 minutes to do error scan, (using the method of going to My Computer and right clicking on c drive and selecting properties and clicking that to get to tools and then error checking) and on mine using the same method it hesitates along time before beginning Phase Two, which makes scan take around 10 to 15 minutes to complete. Maybe there are different reasons for this, but the fact I did at least 5 scans using AVS when installed, it worries me that on my PC it takes much longer and with a smaller Hard Drive than his. Can anyone ease my worries? This is what bothers me more than the Chkdsk thing, that no one has even tried to ease them. I must say that Antivir is now running well, and I have never heard of one potential problem with it, but I really liked AVS and was truly thinking of buying KAV. Anyone?

Edited by duke1959

I just read this entire thread. I was just about to purchase four KAV licenses for the three workstations and one laptop on my home network.

I am currently running the trial version of KAV 6 on my laptop. The laptop is relatively new, has an 80 GB drive, and is very empty. It is running Windows XP Professional SP2.

My laptop is hanging up at the Stage 2 of CHKDSK for about 1:40 (one minute and 40 seconds). It then appears to complete. If I run CHKDSK in read-only mode inside of Windows, I get "Correcting errors in the volume bitmap" which, according to what I have read, is not actually a problem. Windows is seeing a "problem" because the disk is changing while CHKDSK is trying to run in read-only.

I am concerned and would like to get Kaspersky Labs' professional assessment/opinion on this.

1. Why is CHKDSK hanging up on Stage 2 of a CHKDSK.

2. Because of #1, is there a probem? Note that CHKDSK /F runs clean.

3. My other three computers are running Windows 2000. Does this same issue/behavior exist in Windows 2000?

I need to make a decision relatively soon about KAV (versus renewing NAV). I'm looking forward to KL's response. Thanks.

-Steve

I know this wasn't a very popular thread but I'm genuinely want to find out if this issue is a real concern or not. I apologize for being the squeaky wheel.

1.  Why is CHKDSK hanging up on Stage 2 of a CHKDSK?

2.  Because of #1, is there a probem?  Note that CHKDSK /F runs clean.

3.  My other three computers are running Windows 2000.  Does this same issue/behavior exist in Windows 2000?

I would like to hear Kaspersky's official answers to these questions. I would like to make an AV decision soon.

Thanks,

-Steve

I know this wasn't a very popular thread but I'm genuinely want to find out if this issue is a real concern or not.  I apologize for being the squeaky wheel.

I would like to hear Kaspersky's official answers to these questions.  I would like to make an AV decision soon.

Thanks,

-Steve

No need to apologize. I asked the same question a long time ago and never received an answer.

This can only be answered by the developers, not the beta testers. For some reason that I can't understand the developers choose not to answer. And all we're asking for is an explanation!

Frank,

Are you only seeing the delay starting Phase 2 of the CHKDSK or are you seeing corruption?

-Steve

No need to apologize. I asked the same question a long time ago and never received an answer.

This can only be answered by the developers, not the beta testers. For some reason that I can't understand the developers choose not to answer. And all we're asking for is an explanation!

Frank,

Are you only seeing the delay starting Phase 2 of the CHKDSK or are you seeing corruption?

-Steve

I only saw the chkdsk Phase 2 delay.

I spent the best part of a day installing and tweaking KIS6 on my desktop computer. I decided to do a backup image of my drive. Before that I always run chkdsk. I saw the delay and came here and found this thread. I then did some testing and discovered that you can not fix it by uninstalling. I then restored my drive from an image backup. So I never left it alone long enough to see any corruption.

I have since tested the latest release but I never used it longer than for the test. I also tested it on my brand new laptop and had the same result.

I have no intention of using it for any length of time until I hear an explanation.

OK, I've held off but I have to ask now...

Why is a few seconds delay at the beginning of Phase 2 a problem? I have a delay of about 20 seconds on my system, but chkdsk then completes normally without an error. Chkdsk on boot turns up no problems and Seatools tells me my SATA2 drive is clean after the full disk test.

I appreciate that this delay is unusual but I can't get to grips with why people see it as a show stopper, when no disk errors are reported.

Incidentally I did e-mail UK support this morning with a link to this thread and I understand that they are going to (...or hopefully have already...) forward it to Moscow for them to reply to here.

I hasten to add that I'm not trying to be 'funny' with anyone - just trying to understand the issue.

Cheers,

Jeremy

P.S I just had an e-mail from Support. The issue has been forwarded to the Head of Support apparently, and he / she will reply. If it comes back to me directly I will be sure to post back here.

Edited by Jem

Jem,

You ask a fair question.

Why is a few seconds delay at the beginning of Phase 2 a problem? I have a delay of about 20 seconds on my system, but chkdsk then completes normally without an error.

That is exactly what I asked above...

1. Why is CHKDSK hanging up on Stage 2 of a CHKDSK?

2. Because of #1, is there a probem? Note that CHKDSK /F runs clean.

I am just trying to find out if there is an issue or not. Note my question is still pending a reponse from Kaspersky Labs.

Additionally, you noted...

I appreciate that this delay is unusual but I can't get to grips with why people see it as a show stopper, when no disk errors are reported.

I am concerned because because some posts in this thread reported not only the delay but also disk corruption associated with the CHKDSK. The same individuals noted that the corruption went away when KAV/KIS was uninstalled.

Still looking forward to an official Kaspersky Labs response.

-Steve

Only additional input I have before some official response is to query the word 'hanging'. While I'm waiting my 20 seconds, my disk activity light is flickering rapidly. The disk is working...that isn't a hang in my book.

Jeremy

Agreed. It's a delay and not a hang. Mine delays for 1:40 (one minute and 40 seconds) before it starts incrementing from zero.

-Steve

Only additional input I have before some official response is to query the word 'hanging'. While I'm waiting my 20 seconds, my disk activity light is flickering rapidly. The disk is working...that isn't a hang in my book.

OK, I've held off but I have to ask now...

Why is a few seconds delay at the beginning of Phase 2 a problem? I have a delay of about 20 seconds on my system, but chkdsk then completes normally without an error. Chkdsk on boot turns up no problems and Seatools tells me my SATA2 drive is clean after the full disk test.

Incidentally I did e-mail UK support this morning with a link to this thread and I understand that they are going to (...or hopefully have already...) forward it to Moscow for them to reply to here.

I hasten to add that I'm not trying to be 'funny' with anyone - just trying to understand the issue.

Cheers,

Jeremy

P.S I just had an e-mail from Support. The issue has been forwarded to the Head of Support apparently, and he / she will reply. If it comes back to me directly I will be sure to post back here.

Jeremy,

I decided not to use KIS6 based on this thread where a few people did experience corruption issues. My decision is based on the fact that you cannot fix the problem by uninstalling the software. The only fix is to reformat the drive and reload Windows. Before I make that commitment I want to know why this developer finds it necessary to make a permanent change to my file system. Especially when no other program that I have found does this.

I hope that your submitting the issue gets some attention. I'll be pleasantly surprised because Don Pelotas has already submitted the issue directly to the developers quite a while ago and we've heard nothing.

Frank

Corruption genuinely caused by any app is always a major concern of course. A proper response by Kas is clearly overdue on this, if only to bring absolute clarity to the 'problem', whatever it may be. Let's hope for an answer.

Jeremy

Who here experienced corruption as a result of this? All it seems to do is screw with chkdsk. And one backup app doesn't work(because apparently this app needs to run a chkdsk).

Edited by Vazel

What i see is everybody complaining about the issue. What I am wondering however, can someone give me a step by step instructions how to reproduce it. If so many people are having this problem, there has to be a concrete way of duplicating it.

Absolutely. I can duplicate the Phase 2 chkdsk 'delay', but I'm not concerned about that, as I get no disk errors whatever disk check I run, thus my previous posts querying a possible over reaction to that particular issue. Yes, it would be interesting to know why...but that's as far as it goes for me anyway.

Problem of course, is that there is a tendency with this kind of thing, and in this kind of forum, to make 2+2=5. A small number (relatively) are turning up disk errors which may be partly due to other unknown factors, possibly aggravated by a KAS or KIS installation. I doubt that is reproducible by anyone else other than those suffering with it.

All I know is that I have a smooth running machine with KAS installed and I am not going to lose sleep over an apparently benign delay at the front end of chkdsk Phase 2. Personally, for what it's worth, I would run extensive disk tests on the machines of those suffering with the corruption problem - a MUST I think, and / or seriously consider a machine rebuild. Those with the problem have to recognise that the weight of evidence (in my view) does not point directly to KAS / KIS as the cause of the problem. Many PC / Windows issues are the result of a combination of issues / problems coming together. When this happens, after many years experience and hours of wasted time, I end up reaching for the Windows installation disk...

Jeremy

Hi,

What i see is everybody complaining about the issue.

You've lumped everyone together into a group. I think complaining about an issue versus asking for an explanation of a behavior that did not exist before installation of a product are two very different things. I have tried to do the latter. If the former is what came across, that was certainly not my intent.

can someone give me a step by step instructions how to reproduce it.

I did not have to do anything to duplicate it other than open a command prompt and run a CHKDSK.

-Steve

I would be LESS concerned if I saw the hang at the BEGINNING of Stage 2. I don't see it there. I see it exactly where Frode saw it before he began to see corruption. At the end of 6% checking in Stage 2. When I first saw this a few weeks ago, Chkdsk hung for three minutes at the end of 6% checking. The next time I ran Ckdsk, it hung for a slightly shorter period of time. The last time I ran chkdsk at boot was on Oct 11 and it hung for 1 minute 15 seconds at the end of 6%. It has hung exactly that long the last three times I ran it.

This is must be connected to Kaspersky as Chkdsk did not hang at all at any point before I installed KAV on what was at that time a four month old computer. It didn't hang the first two months I had KAV either but that may be because I have never run a full scan and I don't use IChecker or ISwift.

I don't see any corruption...yet. That is my concern...the "yet" factor. My other concern is that Kaspersky is remaining silent. If they think this is preposterous that the hangs/corruption could have anything to do with KAV then why not say so? If this is a benign artifact (and those with corruption have something else going on) then simply say so.

I would be LESS concerned if I saw the hang at the BEGINNING of Stage 2. I don't see it there. I see it exactly where Frode saw it before he began to see corruption. At the end of 6% checking in Stage 2. When I first saw this a few weeks ago, Chkdsk hung for three minutes at the end of 6% checking. The next time I ran Ckdsk, it hung for a slightly shorter period of time. The last time I ran chkdsk at boot was on Oct 11 and it hung for 1 minute 15 seconds at the end of 6%. It has hung exactly that long the last three times I ran it.

This is must be connected to Kaspersky as Chkdsk did not hang at all at any point before I installed KAV on what was at that time a four month old computer. It didn't hang the first two months I had KAV either but that may be because I have never run a full scan and I don't use IChecker or ISwift.

I don't see any corruption...yet. That is my concern...the "yet" factor. My other concern is that Kaspersky is remaining silent. If they think this is preposterous that the hangs/corruption could have anything to do with KAV then why not say so? If this is a benign artifact (and those with corruption have something else going on) then simply say so.

I really think we need an offical report from kaspersky on this issue.

if people dont run chkdisk they dont know.