My HD has always had DMA switched on - infact I don't think you can switch it off through my bios.
Windows can disable DMA itself and switch to PIO if it detects errors accessing the drive. In device manager in Windows check to see your HDs do have DMA enabled. Also, if you have an nForce chipset and installed the nVidia IDE driver uninstall that. Edited by Vazel

Hi, i'm just posting to say that those chkdsk errors are nothing to worry about. Notice how nothing has gone wrong with Windows? No corruptions or bsod or everything constantly crashing. That's because there is nothing wrong. Chkdsk being run from within Windows is not reliable. Run chkdsk outside of Windows(in command console 'chkdsk /f c:') and if chkdsk passes there is nothing wrong.

This has already been addressed (in this thread I do believe).

1) Chkdsk slowdown occurs preboot as well.

2) In my case, after a day or two chkdsk started failing to complete at all (it crashed).

3) Acronis True Image became unable to analyze the drive for backup.

It is not just a cosmetic issue, even though it appears KL doesn't feel it dignifies any action. I guess it's not costing them enough sales.

It is not just a cosmetic issue, even though it appears KL doesn't feel it dignifies any action. I guess it's not costing them enough sales.

I can't understand why they don't offer a technical explanation for what is going on with the file system.

I'm really sorry I purchased two upgrades before I discovered this problem. If it isn't fixed in this long-awaited MP1 then they will loose a renewal on my two licenses. I won't wait any longer than that.

i have run "chkdsk" a few times on my computer since installeding KAV 6, and i noticed that, with KAV 6 installed, the process does hang for a little, at the beginning of the second stage..i would say, for about 10 or 15 seconds, but then proceeds to completion..

Hi all,

I have been stuck with a full corruption for the last days and managed to get back on-line for a few hours ago. This disk error was related to a full disk scan by KAV 6. I know this because the machine has been working flawless until I did the scan (only to see if I could repro it - which I apparently could :-))

I think one major key point here, some others have already highlighted it, is that this only seems to affect Nvidia nForce chipset, in my case nForce 4, but not intel/via chipset (I have other machines with KAV 6 and they are still running without any chkdsk errors).

The IDE driver is the WinXP one so no nvidia IDE here :-)

Would be great if someone from KAV Dev could give us a hint on what the current status on this issue is.

KAV version: 6.303.E

Of course the drive is tested with the manufacturers drive test and had 0 errors, no smart entries or anything else that I have seen been discussed regarding this issue. This is purely a KAV issue and if you have the urge to complain about a failing drive, please re-think twice before doing that ;-)

Thanks,

- Thomas

I think one major key point here, some others have already highlighted it, is that this only seems to affect Nvidia nForce chipset, in my case nForce 4, but not intel/via chipset (I have other machines with KAV 6 and they are still running without any chkdsk errors).

It's not limited to nForce. My chipset is Intel I'm afraid.

It is possible in our situation that installing KIS6 then reformating with the windows xp disc did not get rid of the corrupted MFT (I have been told this is possible, and hardware problems are not my strong point). So we will use DBAN and let you know how it goes, we will install slackware to detect the errors as linux tends to give better detail.

If this fixes it, then i suspect it MAY still be KIS6.

cheers, rotty

Hello,

I have the same problem as everybody here.

I installed KAV 6 a few months ago. When I ran "chkdsk" a few days later, it stays for a very long time at 0 % (maybe 10 minutes) at step 2 ("CHKDSK is verifying indexes"), before the process could continue normally. The same problem occured everytime I ran chkdsk.

I never had this problem before. I suspected KAV 6, because it was the only software I had installed at this period. (Note that I hadn't read anything on KAV's forum or anywhere, before I came to this conclusion).

After uninstalling KAV 6, I was amazed to see that this problem still occurs in the same way. I was worrying for my disk and my data, so I decided to backup all my files and recover my partition with Norton Ghost. Then I reinstalled KAV 5 (which is still running on my PC) and decided to forgot KAV 6.

For me, the evidence is clear that KAV 6 is responsible for this problem.

I don't undestand why some people here are still doubting about this fact...

Some say that this bug could be related to some dlls or driver files that are replaced by KAV 6. The first time I installed KAV 6, I monitored the process with Total Uninstall. I have a log of the changes made on my system, and I don't see such kind of problem.

In fact, the most worrying thing about KAV 6 is that it seems to makes permanent changes to the file system.

It would be very nice to have information on this subject from KAV developers...

Pascal

Just in case anyone has forgotten all of my posts :D

Pascal's experience is exactly the same as mine. I used True Image to restore my system because uninstalling did not correct the problem. And I'm also using KAV Personal (v5), which does not have this problem with the chkdsk delay, while hoping for an explanation and a fix. I tested this on both my homebuilt desktop and my Alienware notebook.

Although it's irrelevant to this problem, both computers have an Intel chipsets. The desktop has 4 SATA drives and the notebook has 1 PATA drive.

In fact, the most worrying thing about KAV 6 is that it seems to makes permanent changes to the file system.
But no one actually seems to have actually experienced anything disastrous. No corruptions or file loss. All most people seem to experience is chkdsk quirks and a backup program not working. I'm not apologizing for this, this problem should be fixed on principle. But if the developers can't find a way to fix it no big deal imo. Edited by Vazel

But no one actually seems to have actually experienced anything disastrous. No corruptions or file loss.

For me, that's true. But it may be because I didn't keep using it. I came to this forum and saw Frode's thread about the problems he was having. I decided not to keep using it with the hope that it would not happen to me.

The fact that it can not be fixed with an uninstall is what bothers me the most. If the developers expect me to allow them to change my file system like no other program does than they have to explain to me why it's not a problem. Otherwise I'll take my business elsewhere.

For me, the evidence is clear that KAV 6 is responsible for this problem.

I don't undestand why some people here are still doubting about this fact...

Probably because extremely few see this "fact", i don't and i suspect 99.9% don't either, please read the thread again count the number of posts from each reporting this (& who continue to report this), not what you want to hear of course. :)

Probably because extremely few see this "fact", i don't and i suspect 99.9% don't either, please read the thread again count the number of posts from each reporting this (& who continue to report this), not what you want to hear of course. :)

To be fair there's probably a sizable portion of people that do have this harmless problem but most people are not in the habit of running chkdsk periodically and probably wouldn't know what to make of why chkdsk is acting weird.

Edited by Vazel

To be fair there's probably a sizable portion of people that do have this harmless problem but most people are not in the habit of running chkdsk periodically and probably wouldn't know what to make of why chkdsk is acting weird.

So you're saying i'm not being fair?

So you're saying i'm not being fair?

hehe, well in your judgement that this is a problem hitting only a very miniscule number of people i guess... I myself had this problem but think nothing of it(I use Avast now though).

hehe, well in your judgement that this is a problem hitting only a very miniscule number of people i guess... I myself had this problem but think nothing of it(I use Avast now though).

No, what i'm saying is that i'm not seeing it (depite having tried with several builds) but reconignize you and some do (i'm just not as clearcut about who/what is responsible), but i'm saying when you look through this very long thread (158 posts in 4 months) there are basicly 5-7 reporting it and over half the posts are from three members.

So i'm just voicing my opinion. ;)

No, what i'm saying is that i'm not seeing it (depite having tried with several builds) but reconignize you and some do (i'm just not as clearcut about who/what is responsible), but i'm saying when you look through this very long thread (158 posts in 4 months) there are basicly 5-7 reporting it and over half the posts are from three members.

So i'm just voicing my opinion. ;)

Same problem here. CHKDSK delay, all other OK. KAV 6. So there is 6-8 of us ;) .

Same problem here. CHKDSK delay, all other OK. KAV 6. So there is 6-8 of us ;) .

ME TOO!!-(since the BETA builds-kav 6, kis 6)-only fix for me, format or restore image of Kav 5.

Just didn't bother to mention it, tho' I've followed this thread since day one.

Count me as one of those who never bothered to mention it (being that during beta testing of Kav 5, one build TOTALLY LOCKED chkdsk (stage 3)-(again, this was kav 5 beta).

I just figured that the developers had a good reason to do something irreversable to the file system, so I personally have kept my machines at version 5 (still occasionally try v.6 to see if I'm ready to commit to it yet).

@ DON---

I'd imagine there are many (such as myself) who just never mentioned that they too experienced this oddity with V.6 and chkdsk (seems harmless enough), or some who haven't even noticed the artifact--(IT DOES EXIST) due to one or more reasons.

Luck to all trying to find the reason.

Tom

Tom

I didn't say you or others don't see this.

Don, I understand and agree--just trying to bring some clarity to a subject that seems somewhat overblown.

I sincerely wonder how you get around to so many forums (all the while maintaining your patience, helpfullness, and composure).

I suspect you have a near photographic memory (based on your ability to maintain so many lines of communication at once)!

Good on Ya'

T

I have what i would describe as a pretty good memory, it used to be litterally photographic, my older brother will still entertain at parties with the stories about when they (him & his mates) used me as human dictionary regarding info about all english football clubs in 1-4 division, i had memorized Rothmanns football yearbook (don't ask why :D )..all pages, i believe it was around 600-800 pages with all kinds of info regarding the club and the people in it...alas no more, now i'm lucky if i get the Premiereship right (1 division). ;)

I have what i would describe as a pretty good memory, it used to be litterally photographic, my older brother will still entertain at parties with the stories about when they (him & his mates) used me as human dictionary regarding info about all english football clubs in 1-4 division, i had memorized Rothmanns football yearbook (don't ask why :D )..all pages, i believe it was around 600-800 pages with all kinds of info regarding the club and the people in it...alas no more, now i'm lucky if i get the Premiereship right (1 division). ;)

You've still got it , Sir!

P.S.-gave me a good chuckle this eve---thanks,

Tom

Hi,

I'm glad to see that new replies have been added to my post.

I wrote yesterday that "I wonder why some some people here are still doubting". Don answered :

Probably because extremely few see this "fact", i don't and i suspect 99.9% don't either, please read the thread again count the number of posts from each reporting this (& who continue to report this), not what you want to hear of course.

I don't "want to hear" anything, Don. I just want to be heard.

I (and the others) just want to point out a problem, and we would appreciate that this problem be taken in consideration. We do this because we love Kaspersky and we wouldn't like to switch to another antivirus.

Your answers make me persist and sign, Don. I don't want to polemize, but it seems that you are always trying to minimize the problem.

You suspect that "99.9%" of the users don't have this problem. But how can you be so sure ?

What is the percentage of people running chkdsk from time to time ? I can imagine it's quite low...

Among the few persons who do this, how many pay attention to the process ?

Among them, how many have tried to understand the cause of the bug and noticed the relation between chekdsk freezing (or index errors) and KAV/KIS ?

How many uninstalled KAV/KIS and noticed that the problem is permanent ?

Finally, how much people decide to connect to Kaspersky's forum and try to explain the problem in another language ? (I'm French and, as you can see, my english is not very good...)

Even if we were 0,1 %, I don't think that this problem is so trivial that it shouldn't be taken into consideration...

Thank your for attention, Dan.

And thanks to the others for their perseverance.

Pascal

I have those chkdsk-problems as well, so there are at least 7-9 of us :(