"During the first and third phases of CHKDSK, the percent complete indicator advances relatively smoothly. There can be some unevenness in the rate at which these phases progress. FRSs that are not in use require less time to process than do those that are in use. Larger security descriptors take more time to process than do smaller ones, and so on. But, overall, the percent complete displayed is a fairly accurate representation of the actual time required for that phase.

The same is not necessarily true for the second phase of CHKDSK. The amount of time required to process a directory is closely tied to the number of files or subdirectories listed in that directory. But the percent complete listed during this phase is the percent of the number of directories to be examined without regard for the fact that some directories might take much longer than others to process. For example, on a volume with many small directories and one very large one, the percent complete might progress rapidly from 0 to 10 percent complete and then appear to get stuck for a long period of time before rapidly progressing from 10 to 100 percent complete. Therefore, unless you know for certain that the directories on a volume are highly uniform with respect to the number of files they contain, the displayed "percent complete" during this phase cannot be considered a reliable representation of the actual time remaining for this phase."

Above is excerpted from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;187941

Emphasis mine. What appears to be a four minute delay in stage 2 chkdsk: I have seen this on plenty of PC's for a long time that have never seen Kaspersky. "...appear(ing) to get stuck for a long period of time..." since a long time ago and not having anything to do with Kaspersky.

Edited by richbuff

500 posts with NO SOLUTION. It's 6:43 AM here and i've been on since like 4:10 AM ..reading and reading...and NO SOLUTION. I did register 2 mins ago just

I'm sure there was the fsutil solution somewhere around post 486 iirc, or maybe I misunderstood you. And there's a solution by Danz somewhere (not sure if it's this forum though, might have been dslreports) describing a copy procedure and the Acronis filetype backup I used worked for me of course.

It would be a nice thing if this type of solution would be mentioned somewhere in a sticky thread or on a 'solutions' part of the forum -this thread is ridiculously long, might even be holding people back from reading it at all.

Even if we're only one-percenters.

Just my 39.99 euros ;)

"During the first and third phases of CHKDSK, the percent complete indicator advances relatively smoothly. There can be some unevenness in the rate at

Kaspersky. "...appear(ing) to get stuck for a long period of time..." since a long time ago and not having anything to do with Kaspersky.

Thanks for reminding, but I knew that of course, so you're info was probably not meant for me.

I've been around for a while and have developed a feeling that helps a lot when troubleshooting. The machine I was handed was a bog standard user PC, where one wouldn't expect huge file numbers in any of its folders and the numbers found didn't point me towards a cause for special chkdsk behavior.

A warning from the KAV installer would have, though.

Edited by sjokotof

snip...

To get rid of the KAV ObjIDs I used the file copy feature of Acronis and copied all files of the C drive to a second harddisk, formatted the disk and copied all files back.

I'm surprised you got Acronis True Image to work in file copy mode. That was one of the methods I tried and rejected during my early testing. I had trouble with locked files, even when booting from the Rescue CD. Eventually I settled on Robocopy and came up with a complex but effective technique. I was in the process of testing, tweaking, retesting and documenting the whole method and I was just about to post a detailed set of instructions when deXter_ on DSLReports came up with the fsutil procedure, which is far easier than my method.

I'm surprised you got Acronis True Image to work in file copy mode. That was one of the methods I tried and rejected during my early testing. I had trouble with locked files, even when booting from the Rescue CD. Eventually I settled on Robocopy and came up with a complex but effective technique. I was in the process of testing, tweaking, retesting and documenting the whole method and I was just about to post a detailed set of instructions when deXter_ on DSLReports came up with the fsutil procedure, which is far easier than my method.

Dantz,

Could you please post a link to the deXter_ info on fsutil at DSLReports - I can't seem to find it.

My machine has been running KIS 6 and then KIS 7. It takes 26 minutes to complete chkdsk on a 35 GB C: partition, 17 minutes of which is spent in Stage 2 at 3%.

Thank you.

Dantz,

Could you please post a link to the deXter_ info on fsutil at DSLReports - I can't seem to find it.

My machine has been running KIS 6 and then KIS 7. It takes 26 minutes to complete chkdsk on a 35 GB C: partition, 17 minutes of which is spent in Stage 2 at 3%.

Thank you.

It's normal Mark, the more files the longer the wait....as long as it completes without issue's you're fine, you can find the commands in post # 408.

I'm surprised you got Acronis True Image to work in file copy mode. That was one of the methods I tried and rejected during my early testing. I had trouble with locked files, even when booting from the Rescue CD. ...

In no way am i questioning what you say, especially since I've never used True Image in that way. However I don't even know how to react to having locked files on a disk that is essentially an external disk at that point because True Image is only using memory. I rely on it for partition clones, and the CD loads everything to memory. The internal drive at that point is essentially an independent/external drive. Maybe I'm missing something (ppl r always sayin' that to me lol) but I really don't see what would cause locked files on a disk that is not being used (in the OS sense of the word). Well it's being used, but only as a device to read from or write to. No OS is using it or app is running from it.

[head scratch] Well not the first time I've been baffled and certainly not the last. But it are curious...

Edited by Autumn Breeze

It's normal Mark, the more files the longer the wait....as long as it completes without issue's you're fine, you can find the commands in post # 408.

I found the technical discussion surrounding deXters_'s three posts about fsutil at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18663253?hilite=

to be very informative.

However, at this time, I agree that for my situation it is not worth the risk of trying a fix - especially since I am not getting chkdsk errors. I will wait until KL comes out with an "official" solution (which I realize could be a long wait).

Dantz,

Thank you.

You will see several posts by deXter_ on this page, including a description of his fsutil command-line procedure.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-...Swift~start=380

Incidentally, deXter_ isn't a regular poster on DSLReports (or at least not under that name). All I know about him is that he posted a nice little command-line procedure, made a few followup posts and then disappeared. His procedure follows, and I suggest you cut and paste. (You can use the mouse to paste into a command line):

This will display all of the ObjectIDs in any folder, including subfolders (press Pause if desired, any key to continue, Ctrl+Break to stop):

FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Query "%a"

This will delete all of the ObjectIDs in any folder, including subfolders:

FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Delete "%a"

I'm still not convinced of the overall safety of this method, but then again, my method probably isn't safe either and his is a heck of a lot easier. Use at your own risk! After all, there are legitimate uses for ObjectIDs and you will lose those as well. Thus, this procedure should be considered experimental and you should know what you are doing before you try it. I'm guessing that it's fairly safe for a stand-alone computer, but I wouldn't try this on a server. Also, take an image first! It's probably also a good idea to clear all of your existing restore points and set a fresh one (if you normally use System Restore, that is).

I haven't yet heard of any serious problems occurring, but Microsoft strongly advises users not to create or delete ObjectIDs and even warns of data loss. Here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...d.mspx?mfr=true

You can also use fsutil manually to examine a single file, as follows:

fsutil objectid query "filename" (without the quotes)

(Replace "query" with "delete" to delete a single ObjectID)

Final note: It would be pointless to run deXter_'s procedure if you plan to continue using KAV 7, as it will put all the ObjectIDs right back into your filesystem the next time you scan. Maybe wait for KAV 8?

In no way am i questioning what you say, especially since I've never used True Image in that way. However I don't even know how to react to having locked files on a disk that is essentially an external disk at that point because True Image is only using memory. I rely on it for partition clones, and the CD loads everything to memory. The internal drive at that point is essentially an independent/external drive. Maybe I'm missing something (ppl r always sayin' that to me lol) but I really don't see what would cause locked files on a disk that is not being used (in the OS sense of the word). Well it's being used, but only as a device to read from or write to. No OS is using it or app is running from it.

[head scratch] Well not the first time I've been baffled and certainly not the last. But it are curious...

I realize that my comment on locked files sounds kind of strange, and after I wrote it I had to ask myself the same question. I probably should have worded the post differently. I did have a problem with locked files, but I can't remember the details and my notes aren't very good on the ATI tests, as I rejected it fairly quickly for several reasons: 1) Couldn't get it to do what I wanted! 2) Robocopy is a far more capable tool than Acronis True Image for copying and moving files, 3) Robocopy is free. Of course, the downside of using Robocopy was that I had to use either a BartPE or a Windows Vista installation disk in order to copy the OS. That's why I was interested in trying Acronis True Image in the first place - because it creates such a fine little boot disk!

I'm sorry I can't answer your question. Maybe if sjokotof would post back here he could tell us how he got it to work, and at that point I will hopefully realize what I did wrong.

Final note: It would be pointless to run deXter_'s procedure if you plan to continue using KAV 7, as it will put all the ObjectIDs right back into your filesystem the next time you scan. Maybe wait for KAV 8?

Thanks for the additional info. Waiting for KAV 8 is my plan with regard to chkdsk at this time.

Thanks a lot Dantz, but my curiosity was just that, curiosity about how it could happen. I'm not tryin' to actually do anything with it. But I do appreciate your taking time to answer.

btw, since your name IS Dantz, I really like Retrospect Pro for backups. There are so many options so I can set any schedule I like. Now I bkup C,D,E daily to set 1 for 8 wks, then clear set 2 and bkup to it for 8 wks, so i always have at least 2 months backed up.

I use True Image (yes it IS a great boot disk, far superior to Ghost, etc. - best use of Linux i know of) for making clones of my C partition at various stages after a fresh install of the OS. First with a few utilities, then with some core pgms, then most everything loaded. Between them and Retrospect, I can restore my system to a perfect condition in a few hours at most.

Hello,

I found this problem too 1 year ago, first at home, then at work.

I made the following observations :

1. Errors (diffrent entrys but always involed : CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.) can not be repaired on drive C: (Boot) only using option /F

(exact after reboot chkdsk is working, but there are still some errors).

2. In Savemode i was not able to find this Problem, no errors.

3. Every PC I check (8-10), had this problem. Even the PC from my colleges (work and home) had this issues (with different Software, no KAV).

4. I used several rootkit/task scanner, no result.

5. Even a Win XP SP2 installation had the issue after installing the hotfixes, without any other software.

6. That was the point where I gave up, because without the chkdsk error msg I had now drawback from it (Ghost, TI and O&O Defrag are working).

I think it's MS fault from a hotfix maybe :).

Hello,

I found this problem too 1 year ago, first at home, then at work.

I made the following observations :

1. Errors (diffrent entrys but always involed : CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.) can not be repaired on drive C: (Boot) only using option /F

(exact after reboot chkdsk is working, but there are still some errors).

2. In Savemode i was not able to find this Problem, no errors.

3. Every PC I check (8-10), had this problem. Even the PC from my colleges (work and home) had this issues (with different Software, no KAV).

4. I used several rootkit/task scanner, no result.

5. Even a Win XP SP2 installation had the issue after installing the hotfixes, without any other software.

6. That was the point where I gave up, because without the chkdsk error msg I had now drawback from it (Ghost, TI and O&O Defrag are working).

I think it's MS fault from a hotfix maybe :).

The free space as allocated in MFT comes after installing IE7 on a clean install without any kaspersky products, happens every time I have installed and then ran chkdisc but it always repairs it there maybe be other reasons but it first appeared after IE7 was release on my machine anyway. I always run chkdisc after installing all the ms patches for XP Pro sp2.