The post is here....here... 

it has a link to the remobjid that was created by someone that makes it a very simple process..

ex: C:\remobjid.exe D:\  or C:\remobjid.exe C:\

and that is all you have to worry about.

419028[/snapback]

Thanks for the link. Turns out that I hadn't found it because it was further back (in pages and time) than I expected.

Oh, for crying out loud. Thank you very much! Exactly what I needed: A simple answer to a simple question. My insistence on using a forward slash was the problem. "D:/" does not work, but "D:" does!

I knew I'd feel like a dummy when I learned what I was doing wrong, and yes, I feel like a dummy. But that's OK, because now I know.

Thanks again!

419013[/snapback]

No problem.

I still learn something new about my computer every day wink.gif

omg !!

CHKDSK issue is very old and it isn't fixed yet !!

See the date of posting the topic  26.05.2006 .. more than one year ..

418937[/snapback]

This is sure not something to hold one's breath for, as we'd all be long dead by now. It would be nice if occasional progress (or lack thereof) reports would be posted, just so we know that Kaspersky Lab hasn't just swept it all back under the rug again . . .

This is sure not something to hold one's breath for, as we'd all be long dead by now.  It would be nice if occasional progress (or lack thereof) reports would be posted, just so we know that Kaspersky Lab hasn't just swept it all back under the rug again . . .

424698[/snapback]

They have stated that they are working closely with Microsoft on the issue. [Translation: It's a bug in CHKDSK, not our problem.] As if MS is about to release a new version of CHKDSK which will be Kaspersky compatible.

Bottom line is take responsibility for your own system. The problem is, was and always will be NTObjectIDs added by iSwift even when iSwift was supposedly disabled. Use the command line FSUTIL routine and clean up your own system if you have a CHKDSK issue caused by iSwift.

They have stated that they are working closely with Microsoft on the issue.  [Translation: It's a bug in CHKDSK, not our problem.]  As if MS is about to release a new version of CHKDSK which will be Kaspersky compatible. 

Bottom line is take responsibility for your own system.  The problem is, was and always will be NTObjectIDs added by iSwift even when iSwift was supposedly disabled.  Use the command line FSUTIL routine and clean up your own system if you have a CHKDSK issue caused by iSwift.

424703[/snapback]

So, IYO, Kaspersky Lab has already swept it all under the rug by suggesting that it is a problem that MS needs to solve, and that we should not expect to hear from KL on the matter again?

And of course I agree that one should take responsibility for one's own system, which naturally includes not running anything on it again created by a company whose products have in the past left behind problems for me to deal with on my own. Having to thusly downgrade my opinion of KL from excellent to poison is not a happy ending to the situation, IMO.

<snip>Just to keep you informed. We have reproduced the issue with chkdsk slowdown and it looks like we understand why it happens. Unfortunately the problem is inside chkdsk and we now work with MS team. I'll inform you as soon as we find some solution.<snip>

413211[/snapback]

Just to remind ourselves what KL's Certification Manager actually said earlier this month ........

Just to remind ourselves what KL's Certification Manager actually said earlier this month ........

425339[/snapback]

Yes, which was why I have been still hoping to hear something new about the issue from KL--unlike jmorlan, who interprets KL's statement regarding working with MS as a passing-of-the-ball (and blame) to MS--and why I had not totally written off the possibility of using Kaspersky again. But this has been a known issue now for quite a long time and it is only recently that KL has seemed to take it seriously enough to really investigate the matter. Telling us, now, to just wait while they work with MS (without even, say, a weekly official note to assure us that the issue is still, in fact, being worked on), leaves me beginning to feel like I'm waiting for the chkdsk problem to be finally resolved in a new version of Windows . . .

All I can say for sure is that, while this issue remains unresolved, I won't use Kaspersky and, despite its good qualities otherwise, will definitely dis-recommend it to others.

Oh dear... looks like we have a pack of vultures circling ph34r.gif (Joke, not literally) wink.gif

This problem isn't going to magically fix itself when one of you/us clicks your fingers, you have to understand that this (although an issue that has been dragging on for a while) KL are working to fix it. Sitting on here and sharing conspiracy theories does not solve the problem.... nor will it bring about a fix any quicker.

My 0.01 cents worth.

Edited by MAPKOBKA^^

Oh dear... looks like we have a pack of vultures circling  ph34r.gif  (Joke, not literally)  wink.gif

This problem isn't going to magically fix itself when one of you/us clicks your fingers, you have to understand that this (although an issue that has been dragging on for a while) KL are working to fix it. Sitting on here and sharing conspiracy theories does not solve the problem.... nor will it bring about a fix any quicker.

My 0.01 cents worth.

425486[/snapback]

Conspiracy theories? Ah, come on. No way! But I *did* hear something somewhere about KL and MS seeking advice through a channel of various Al Queda operatives from Satan on how to spread this problem to computers that have never even had Kaspersky installed on them. Bill Gates, I understand, claims that such a thing *is*, in fact, possible and could even be set up to be totally unfixable except via the purchase of a new copy of Vista Ultimate. But I, myself, rather doubt this report and therefore generally advise against spreading it around . . .

Well its not That big. I'm sure its much more limited than that, limited to two small groups: a (hopefully) small group of those who actualy have this issue, and a (thankfully) smaller group of professional xenophobiacs.

Conspiracy theories? Ah, come on. No way! But I *did* hear something somewhere about KL and MS seeking advice through a channel of various Al Queda operatives from Satan on how to spread this problem to computers that have never even had Kaspersky installed on them. Bill Gates, I understand, claims that such a thing *is*, in fact, possible and could even be set up to be totally unfixable except via the purchase of a new copy of Vista Ultimate. But I, myself, rather doubt this report and therefore generally advise against spreading it around . . .

425564[/snapback]

Excellent... I think we should make a movie laugh.gif

Excellent... I think we should make a movie  laugh.gif

425698[/snapback]

Would it be suitable for young viewers? Would the fifth episode be called "The Professional Xenophobiacs Strike Back"? Or maybe by the time the third episode comes out, MS will have released a more robust Chkdsk and there won't be a need for too many more se- and/or pre-quels? Edit: Mature Content.

Edited by richbuff

So does that mean in 8.0 you will instead store this information in your own database table and leave the NTFS system alone? Because the long delay in chkdsk during scanning is really bad. It seems to me storing the data in your own datatable is the best method and it's the method I see other AV companies use.

hello,

thank you grnic. don't fogert to keep us informed about copy limit with vista too plz wink.gif

We've published an article about CHKDSK issue in our support Knowledge base - http://support.kaspersky.com/kav7/error?qid=208279501

427891[/snapback]

Thank you for the update. However, I think the Knowledge base needs much more. It fails to mention that the NTSF ObjectID remain after KAV has been removed from a system and that CHKDSK issues may persist after KAV is uninstalled.

Further it does not offer a method of removing ObjectIDs if/when KAV is removed.

And lastly it doesn't admit that ObjecteIDs are added to every new file even when ISwift is turned off.

Thank you for the update.  However, I think the Knowledge base needs much more. It fails to mention that the NTSF ObjectID remain after KAV has been removed from a system and that CHKDSK issues may persist after KAV is uninstalled.

Further it does not offer a method of removing ObjectIDs if/when KAV is removed. 

And lastly it doesn't admit that ObjecteIDs are added to every new file even when ISwift is turned off.

427914[/snapback]

I agree. It sounds like current users' problems are to be swept under the rug with a firm resolve to create a new version of KAV which will employ a different approach that won't cause the same (unacknowledged) problems in the future.

Edited by Dot Something

nobody said it would.

427916[/snapback]

It seems to me you are saying that it's ok to damage people's computers and we won't tell them of the possibility.

Let me say that I have used KIS 6 and 7. I will say that it was the best I ever used. But this chkdsk thing really screwed up my computer.

I just reformated the other day and all is well now.

But I swear that any KAV product will never touch this computer again whether they fix the problem or not, and it's not the problem itself but the lack of interest and the denial at first to admit it on their part.

All they would have had to do is say we have a problem and are working to correct it.

Honesty and responsibility for ones actions.

A rare quality these days among companies and people.

I say goodbye to the many members of this forum whom I have learned from and have been helped by.

To you all, the best,

Dan smile.gif

why do you people always say damage. having a larger index file is not damage. this is something microsoft puts there with a variable size, kaspersky only increases the index size and chkdsk doesn't display progress while checking it. It's not "damage", nd it's certainly not permanent (proof to that, format and the hang goes away), permanent would be if you format it and you still had issues. Such damage is only physical

428076[/snapback]

I have to disagree. It is damage to your system when it effects the way it runs.

Reformatting is the cure but time consuming. Something we should not have to do because of a software problem and lack of concern on the part of the manufacturer.

I have to disagree. It is damage to your system when it effects the way it runs.

Reformatting is the cure but time consuming. Something we should not have to do because of a software problem and lack of concern on the part of the manufacturer.

428079[/snapback]

I also have to agree it's damage. I lost over 200GB of anime music, games, and fansubs from this issue. Because of the permanent file damage done by adding objectID's. My computer got to a state where a folder, dll, or file got corrupted that evidently was really important to the OS and when I would try to start different applications it would completely lock up the computer. That is damage. Reformatting and losing data is DAMAGE! That is alot of time and effort involved getting the files the first time and no way to replace them all. I only had room to backup document and settings folder and My Documents folder and a few registered file downloads on a single DVD before the system completely froze up and forced me to reformat the drive.

But it stopped chkdsk from being able to run at all! Eventually chkdsk fails with a timeout error and won't complete. Doesn't complete than bad indexes, crosslinked files, ect can not get fixed. These can not get fixed the system continually gets worse until the system is nothing but junk that won't run anything. This is what happened to cause damage to my system.

But it stopped chkdsk from being able to run at all!  Eventually chkdsk fails with a timeout error and won't complete.  Doesn't complete than bad indexes, crosslinked files, ect can not get fixed.  These can not get fixed the system continually gets worse until the system is nothing but junk that won't run anything.  This is what happened to cause damage to my system.

428279[/snapback]

My system got progressively worse where I could't put up with it anymore.

Thus the reformat and what a difference it made. biggrin.gif

You have to remember also that alot of the people here are pro KAV.

Nothing wrong with that because I was too.

I said it before and I'll say it again. KIS was the best security I ever ran on my computer. But it came to the point where you ask yourself at what price?

It should'nt have come to that but it did and I won't take that chance again.

Dan