IztokK

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 for Windows Workstations

Enhancements:

1. The ability to select real-time protection features to be installed has been added.

2. The ability to automatically load settings from a previously created file default.kav_prof has been added.

3. The scheme of scheduled task launch under a certain user's account has been enhanced.

4. An error that occurred during copying files from public folders with real-time protection enabled on the remote computer and disabled on the local computer has been fixed.

5. Error that caused the "blue screen of death" during the scan of objects located on the network drives has been fixed.

6. Error that caused skipping password-protected RAR archives during a scan if the "Prompt for action when the scan is complete" option was selected and the "Do not prompt for password when scanning objects" box was unchecked, has been fixed.

7. An error that sometimes caused invalid installation of the real-time file and mail protection feature during the Kaspersky Anti-Virus update via the Kaspersky Administration Kit Network Agent has been fixed.

8. Error of processing (scanning and adding to the exclusion list) files with filename ended with a space has been fixed.

9. Error that sometimes caused failure to delete blocked files when removing Kaspersky Anti-Virus from a computer running OS Microsoft Windows 9x/Me has been fixed.

10. Updating error that occurred during the replacement of the database in the updates source while a download from this source was in progress has been fixed.

11. Redundancy check error that occurred when scanning the root directory of the disk on which Kaspersky Anti-Virus is installed when running task "Scan at Kaspersky Anti-VIrus launch" has been fixed.

12. Error of updating from UNIX ftp servers that require authorization has been fixed.

13. Restriction on the number of symbols in the "Username" and "Organization" fields has been removed.

14. Error that caused a failure to recognize some existing application settings during the installation of Kaspersky Anti-Virus over version 5.0.225 has been fixed.

15. Error of display of a prompt to restart computer when enabling the network attack protection component using a Kaspersky Administration Kit policy if this component had not been installed on the client computer has been fixed.

16. Error of updating from ftp servers for which relative path was specified has been fixed.

17. Error that sometimes caused a failure to enable the network attack protection feature using a Kaspersky Administration Kit has been fixed.

18. Error that caused an incorrect assignment of the "An installation task has been started on a remote computer" status to a completed deployment task has been fixed.

19. Error related to a delay in applying the application security password when a Kaspersky Administration Kit policy is used for the first time, due to which the user was able to work in the administrator's mode for some time, has been fixed.

20. Error, that cased skipping self-extracting ARJ archives within RAR archives during a scan, has been fixed.

21. Error that caused a Kaspersky Anti-Virus failure when scanning some additional file streams has been fixed.

Known problems:

1. Anti-virus database rollback is only possible after the anti-virus database update procedure has been run twice.

2. Network attack protection component is not compatible with OpenVPN.

3. If the "Automatically determine the proxy server settings" setting was selected, the username and the password saved in Microsoft Internet Explorer are not used for the proxy server authorization.

They've bumped the Admin Kit up to 5.0.1152 as well, only two bug fixes:

As compared with version 5.0.1151, only administration server has been modified 

Bugs fixed:

1) After reinstallation of KAV for WKS Maintenance Pack 4, policies and 
group tasks could not be applied to client computers until these policies 
or group tasks were modified. 

2) After upgrade of KAV for WKS to version 5.0.527 (Maintenance Pack 4), 
the Administration Server temporarily failed to process events received from 
client computers.

I really wish there was a way of updating all the Admin Kit's and packages on the slave servers from your master server. Would save a lot of time.

Edited by Steve Burkett

What is this the 97th upgrade in the last 2 months? This is getting ridiculous. Maybe Kaspersky could see fit to hire a software testing group that could test new releases out for bugs - or maybe deliver patches as needed to customers who experience problems. The product is excellent - the software release planning is probably the worst I have ever seen. Get it together quick guys.

DOM

I agree. I think the thoughtful updates (with explanations of why) are fine, no matter how frequent. My real problem is knowing the difference between the 5.0 series and the 6.0 series. I have only a vague understanding of the problems alluded to elsewhere with 6.0. Until I do understand, I am assuming that KAV Personal 5.0 is protection enough.

Chex

Windows XP SP2

For the individual user the frequent upgrades are a small inconvenience, but for companies or school districts who use KAV Workstation the frequent upgrades are an administrative nightmare.

MM

I agree. I think the thoughtful updates (with explanations of why) are fine, no matter how frequent. My real problem is knowing the difference between the 5.0 series and the 6.0 series. I have only a vague understanding of the problems alluded to elsewhere with 6.0. Until I do understand, I am assuming that KAV Personal 5.0 is protection enough.

Chex

Windows XP SP2

Edited by Support_Mike

For the individual user the frequent upgrades are a small inconvenience, but for companies or school districts who use KAV Workstation the frequent upgrades are an administrative nightmare.

MM

If U use AdminKit for update/upgrate server this would be OK. :P:P

Not really - whenever you upgrade the KAV Wkst it requires a reboot of the workstation. You cannot just run the task to deploy the new version of the product during the middle of the production day and force users to reboot - some people just cannot do that. Besides a deployment of a few thousand workstation upgrades takes hours to perform, regardless of the network you are on. The fact is that upgrading large #'s of workstations and/or servers is NOT an easy task with or without the Admin Kit - which incidentally is changing versions almost daily.

I agree with Dad_of_Maya - the way the product has been upgraded MULTIPLE times over the past 90 days or so borders on the ridiculous. I challenge anyone to find ANY software company that releases its products in the way that Kaspersky does. We will lose customers over these multiple new versions of the product being released. I hope Kaspersky gets it together. The product is the best - the way it is released is awful.

Frustrated

If U use AdminKit for update/upgrate server this would be OK.  :P  :P

Yes, you're right.

There is no upgrade patch from 5.0.528 ?

I agree with Mike. Do not forget, there is KAV6.0WKS being Beta tested and how this is going to fit in with the current Admin Kit,is to be seen.

Mathew

Not really - whenever you upgrade the KAV Wkst it requires a reboot of the workstation. You cannot just run the task to deploy the new version of the product during the middle of the production day and force users to reboot - some people just cannot do that. Besides a deployment of a few thousand workstation upgrades takes hours to perform, regardless of the network you are on. The fact is that upgrading large #'s of workstations and/or servers is NOT an easy task with or without the Admin Kit - which incidentally is changing versions almost daily.

I agree with Dad_of_Maya - the way the product has been upgraded MULTIPLE times over the past 90 days or so borders on the ridiculous. I challenge anyone to find ANY software company that releases its products in the way that Kaspersky does. We will lose customers over these multiple new versions of the product being released. I hope Kaspersky gets it together. The product is the best - the way it is released is awful.

Frustrated

Hello!

There are several options:

1. You could create task that upgrades strats at 3am, 4am (several groups and diferent time to upgrades).

2. For KAV FS there is option that you could disable installation of updates that require reboot and partial updating.

3. Option that KAV ask user if he want to ugrade KAV.

ETC.

Regards,

Iztok

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.