Sign in to follow this  
Testeur09

Enterprise Edition Client on non TSE-Citrix servers

Hello,

I could use a bit of advice on those deployment scenarii :

- TSE server without any client yet. TSE role is not used, and will not be, however we cannot uninstall the TSE role yet. Is FSEE still necessary in this case, or can we switch to a standard server client ?

- TSE server with FSEE client. TSE role will be uninstalled soon. Do i have to switch from FSEE to standard client ? More generally, is there any problems with a FSEE client on a server without TSE-Citrix roles ?

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

Hello Helmut, and thanks for responding.

I guess your response applies to my 2nd scenario - it's good to know FSSE can run fine on non-TSE/Citrix server.

However could you confirm that in the first case, installing a standard client is supported by Kaspersky ?

Regards,

Read the compare list for the products.

Yes it´s supportted on a WTS but not recommended. When you don´t use this service you can ust standard edition on your server. When the OS is Windows 2008 you must use 6.0.4.1212.

Read the compare list for the products.

Yes it´s supportted on a WTS but not recommended. When you don´t use this service you can ust standard edition on your server. When the OS is Windows 2008 you must use 6.0.4.1212.

Do you mean on a Windows 2008 with TSE role MP4 is required ? Because the compatibility matrix says otherwise, FSEE 6.0 MP3 is supported on this kind of server.

I'm a bit confused about your response tbh. I tought it was like this, based on the official compatibility matrix :

- 2003/2003 R2 -> Standard MP3 or Standard MP4

- 2008/2008 R2 -> Standard MP4

- 2003/2008 +TSE/Citrix -> FSEE MP3

- 2008 R2 + TSE/Citrix -> no support yet

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway in my scenarii both OS are Windows 2003. I'm also looking for best practices here.

regards,

No I don´t say you must use 6.0.4.121 on W2008 with TSE the 6.0.2.555 is the best choice.

On your 2003 server without using TSE you can use 6.0.4.1212.

If you're running Citrix or Terminal Services, you're supposed to use Enterprise Edition.

If you're not, definitely use the standard File Server version. Reason being, the memory footprint on the Enterprise Edition is 10x that of the Standard Edition. Ie. Standard edition takes up 25MB, Enterprise Edition will chew up a whopping 250-300MB of your memory. It really is ridiculous, and we won't use it due to this.

In actual fact, the standard version has always worked quite well running on Terminal Services and Citrix XenApp servers, no real issues, and the extra 225MB of ram for the users to use is a welcome bonus.

We might change our mind when they release the next Cumulative Fix pack next month?

If you're running Citrix or Terminal Services, you're supposed to use Enterprise Edition.

If you're not, definitely use the standard File Server version. Reason being, the memory footprint on the Enterprise Edition is 10x that of the Standard Edition. Ie. Standard edition takes up 25MB, Enterprise Edition will chew up a whopping 250-300MB of your memory. It really is ridiculous, and we won't use it due to this.

In actual fact, the standard version has always worked quite well running on Terminal Services and Citrix XenApp servers, no real issues, and the extra 225MB of ram for the users to use is a welcome bonus.

We might change our mind when they release the next Cumulative Fix pack next month?

Thanks for your feedback.

250-300 MB of memory doesnt appear ridiculous to me on a server, especially Citrix/TSE ones which have usually large quatity of RAM. Also i didnt found too much technical informations on this, but by using a standard edition maybe multiples avp.exe process (one for each user ?) appears ? (i couldnt test this before). Also the FSSE Edition include several very interesting features which doesnt exist in the standard edition (even MP4).

...but by using a standard edition maybe multiples avp.exe process (one for each user ?) appears ?

No this is not the case. On the standard edition you get one AVP.exe for each CPU on the box, and one AVP.exe to manage them. This count can be altered in the configuration if you wish though.

I agree that the Enterprise Edition has a few good features going for it, but quite how they've ballooned the program out to use 10x more ram then what the standard edition uses for not really a whole lot of difference between the two I dunno.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.