Baz^^

[RESOLVED]KIS 2010 Auto rootkit scan [Merged]

Baz^^ do you only want logs from badly affected users?

My PC remains usable during the scan, however it takes anywhere from 10 mins up to 1 hour 15 mins usually :)

Baz^^ do you only want logs from badly affected users?

My PC remains usable during the scan, however it takes anywhere from 10 mins up to 1 hour 15 mins usually :)

If you are getting negative symptoms (e.g. slowness of OS, freezing etc etc then yes please).... actually I'll take any logs where you think there is a problem, perhaps then the devs can see what could be a common factor.

Apparently not...I can't find any messages from you in my private message inbox. If you submitted a tech support ticket, then they will have the details (I don't work for KL, just being an intermediary between forum users and the developers)

Message Title This message was sent to Date

Read Msg Automatic Rootkit Scan Baz^^ 22.10.2009 22:37

Baz, I have some samples from 4 or 5 days ago. I asked you about these in a previous PM and got no reply back so I assumed that you were inundated with samples and just did not need any more and simply did not have time to reply, wrongly as it turns out. :) I don't have any issues on XP SP3 (10 - 12 min. tops with little or no slowness). Vista 64 SP2 is a little more inconsistent with my first 2 scans at 94 min & 98 min., respectively, on only 1435 objects, with some noticeable lagging of browsing. Now I am at 20 - 30 min with some noticeable slowness in browser reaction but not completely unusable by any stretch.

CPU was not overly affected but disk activity was huge. I have GSI, scan text report & traces. I will send later if needed. :) Please advise.

Thanks for your diligence. :)

Grand total of 2 people have sent me the logs requested in post #1 :|

Anyone else?

I do hope I am one of the 2,I did send it ,if not I will do it all again.Please let me know

stin

I had KIS2010 on my PC XP Pro SP3 and my system was noticeably slower with the rootkit scan.

Another side affect of KIS2010 was my user profile was getting corrupted, fixed by using system restore.

The corrupt user profile was not happening all the time but only if I shut down while the rootkit scan was running.

I uninstalled KIS2010 last Saturday and went back to KIS2009 8.0.0.506 and so far my computer has been fine.

Another side affect of KIS2010 was my user profile was getting corrupted, fixed by using system restore.

The corrupt user profile was not happening all the time but only if I shut down while the rootkit scan was running.

That's very interesting - I wonder if that is why I have been getting corrupted user profiles from time to time?

Hi i just installed KIS 2010 9.0.0.736 the other day as a clean install and everything seems fine here.

Im using XP 64bit, Quad Core Q6600, 4bg ram and a 74bg Raptor drive.

Rootkit scans take about 12min and of that 12 minutes my computer is not interrupted.

I upgraded from version 7 as i loved that version, but since windows 7 wont support it i thought i better upgrade. At first i hated 2010 coz its so different, but after a day of playing with it i got it working in the same way 7 work with be being promoted for every new action. Now I'm starting to really like 2010.

Edited by subaqua

For those who don't want to upgrade from vers 7 right now is there a fix for this yet?

even though the rootkit scan is only taking 12min for me and is not hogging up my computer, its starting to become VERY annoying hearing my HDD crunch away.

If it did the scan only once a day i will be fine with it, but that fact it does it after every start up is just stupid! sometime I might reboot my machine 5x in 1 day, so that means the rootkit scan is preformed 5x that day!

There should be a setting that makes it only run once per day no matter how many boots you do.

My girlfriend has KAV on her laptop running a 5200rpm drive and this thing takes about 40min, plus bogs down her system. I hope Kaspersky get some sense soon and make it so it only scans a MAX of once per day or ads and option so we can control when it scans.

I loaded the new skin and shut off the automatic rootkit scan. (It can also be stopped manually with the new skin.) This is serving as a work around until we get a fix. Very frustrating now that it has been more than a week.

However, I have also started to notice some strange issues with Microsoft Office. My Word program, for example, just started to give me an error message that saving the autorecovery file is postponed. The first time this happened I noticed an unknown .dat file in the word temporary directory, and deleting it fixed the problem. But it has happened one more time since that -- I really don't know why. I also had Powerpoint crash with a serious error this morning when I tried to open a file that I had been working on for many hours yesterday (Microsoft error reporter came in and copied a bunch of files). Fortunately, it worked OK when I restarted the program. I am not sure if these issues are at all related to the Kaspersky issues, but I wonder if the runaway scans or something else could possibly corrupt other software? I am not aware of anything else happening to my computer in the last week or so since the last large batch of Microsoft updates (and I had no issues for more than a week after those updates). I only noticed the problems about the time the Kaspersky issues occurred. Again, I cannot say if there is a relationship for sure.

I sent my getinfo and level 500 log files to Kaspersky in response to the generic email acknowledging the trouble ticket. However, I have received no communication from Kaspersky since or even to acknowledge receipt of the information. (The log files were too large to send to Baz directly, but I sent him my getinfo file.

Same problem here... No change in behavior before and after clean install upgrade to kis9.0.0.736en. The K icon is currently throbbing at 98%.

I just submitted a support ticket describing my issue.... basically the same as everyone else here. When the auto rootkit scan hits around 95% it just seems to run forever (literally hours) with a mind of it's own. I'm not seeing as much CPU hogging as I am disk I/O. My disk light is currently strobing away and there's nothing really happening on my system other than the rootkit scan. Hate to think of the mechanical wear and tear this will do to my drives over extended periods of time. Maybe Kaspersky will replace them for me.

In response to Baz^^'s post re. data collection I have logged and collected a bunch of data to submit to tech support when I get a response. Will keep everyone posted.

Finally. Antihist 9 wrote:

1. The rootkit scan that is at the root (intended pun!) of this problem can only be turned off by a registry tweak. This is not without risk and therefore may best avoided.

What IS that registry tweak!! I want to turn this thing off for now until the problem gets resolved. I'll trade off the security risk for the risk of burning out my hard drives. Someone please post the damn registry entry or PM me or something... before I lose it. :dash1:

Mark

What is that registry tweak? ...
In the relevant thread in the Beta section of this forum.
.......................for those that understand that they are doing this completely at their own risk since it is an unsupported tweak, these users can find the relevant thread in the beta section. :)

Hello,

Have been affected since more than one week.

Each time i killed the RKS but since this moring i had only one RKS that took 7:00 min.

I am now watching carefully if emprovement persits and will come back.

Berny +++

Hi,

:unsure: any feds about? looks like the coast is clear... :unsure:

If you look at #17 in http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=141603 then this is apparently one way to stop it from tech support. Also in the UK, where they admit there is a problem, they can send you a batch script to do this. I haven't gone for that cos it's not a proper fix but some might want to try it while waiting on the real fix.

Cheers,

Rowantree

a batch script to do this.

Hello,

My system refused to update the registry.

I would not advise to "play" with this, because modifying the registry is or could be dangerous !

The best option is to wait for the fix.

Berny ++++

Edited by Berny

Hi all..

May be this is a noob question.

The rootkit scan is problem for some people and not for others, but what i can't understand is how come a "Skin" shows hidden settings in KIS?

Ladies & gents

This is not a thread to post thinveiled threats about leaving for or recommend other vendors, the thread topic is: KIS 2010 Auto rootkit scan, stay on that topic.

Ladies & gents

This is not a thread to post thinveiled threats about leaving for or recommend other vendors, the thread topic is: KIS 2010 Auto rootkit scan, stay on that topic.

Good morning,

there are still no news about quick rootkits scan issue? it's really so hard to solve it?

can you upgrade about it?

thanks a lot

regards

Good morning,

there are still no news about quick rootkits scan issue? it's really so hard to solve it?

can you upgrade about it?

thanks a lot

regards

No, if there were then it would be posted immediately.

No, if there were then it would be posted immediately.

how is it possible? it seems to be very strange.

regards

Hello,

My system refused to update the registry.

I would not advise to "play" with this, because modifying the registry is or could be dangerous !

The best option is to wait for the fix.

Berny ++++

That's because you're not doing it right. And it's not "playing", this is a temporary work-around provided by Kaspersky. But by all means wait for the fix - I'm sure it'll be along any month day now. :rolleyes:

I must admit that I am not impressed with KIS2010 on the auto rootkit scan.

It taken me a while to find how to disable the Rootkit scan, which does kick off every few hours on my dev machine. I am less impressed how instructions on registry key info was removed and the only current solution involves traipsing through three different forums to hunt down the latest live link to download an alternative skin for KIS2010 (which is actually quite nice).

I am happy I (finally) found the skin to download (thanks for making it difficult) and am not happy on how long its taken me (an IT professional)... my wife, mom, sis etc wouldn't have a chance on fixing this themselves!

it is strange that KIS is doing a rootkit scan every 2 days.... i've read that you should wait for the hdd led light to become quiet, otherwise data loss is possible... what about shutting down the computer when KIS is working, is the work continued after restart ??

At this juncture, I will post this quote from Whizard, see below. I will enclose it in quotation marks. But I will not use quote tags, because then the the text will be subdued, and that will defeat the purpose of posting the quote here and now, which is for emphasis via repetition. See quote below:

"Let us keep this thread on topic, and discuss skins in the fan club.

Unrelated posts without GSI logs and 500 level traces will vanish.

Let me say it once again CPU/Memory/Time are hardly valuable resources. If it prevents you from doing something by all means go ahead and describe it attaching the needed configuration/log information. Posting threads like me too, will not help and definately not productive.

You are welcome to open a ticket with Tech Support and let them know http://my.kaspersky.com

Thanks for reading!"

In accordance with the quote above from Whizard, and this threads topic, please do not post links to alternative skins in this thread, or in this forum section. To review the topic of this thread, please see the first post. If any unrelated posts have vanished, then that is in accordance with the topic of this thread, in post #1. Please review that post.